Oldcpecdr

How much HP for a Snowthrower

Oldcpecdr

Finally going to use one of the Horses this weekend !!!!  Neighbors are looking askance at the motley lawn.

A friend has offered me a free snowthrower attachment.... will a 10 HP C100 or B100 have enough power to make it useful ? 

Or do I have to find a third Horse :)

Mike B

WH2.jpg

Edited by Oldcpecdr
add pic
  • Like 1

Achto

They made a blower that fit on the Ranger's which were only 6hp. I don't think that you will have any trouble running one with a 10hp. Unless you want an excuse to buy another tractor, then don't disclose the above info to your significant other. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Achto said:

They made a blower that fit on the Ranger's which were only 6hp. I don't think that you will have any trouble running one with a 10hp. Unless you want an excuse to buy another tractor, then don't disclose the above info to your significant other. :D

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

It really does depend on what moisture level and How much snow?

It'll move it.... Just how much of a small cut will it take?

• Like 1

MalMac

Type of snow is the biggest factor. 

Wet snow VS Dry powdery snow. Also I am assuming the snowblower in question here is a single stage. If we’re a 2 stage Blower then a 10hp would be severely under powered.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

What Malmac said. 

More HP is better but 10hp beats the heck out of 1 Manpower! 

You can drop speed to a crawl. 

Take smaller cuts. 

Try to divide the storm and blow during the storm. 

I'd want more than 10hp but it would certainly help! 

• Like 4

pfrederi

I had a blower on a 12hp Charger worked just great.  I had one my 6hp Ranger...not so great.  Problem is your first pass you have to take full width and depending on the type snow it may choke.  You have to go very slowly and yet have engine RPM maxed.  With a 3 speed that requires a lot of clutch slipping.  If you have an 8 speed you can use low range for the first pass.  Subsequent passes are not an issue as you can control how much snow you are taking.on

• Like 2

Oldcpecdr

Thanks for the info !!!!  My 12hp Ariens works great but its not pushing a tractor around.... I'll go pick up the blower, clean it up and see how it mounts.. I'll try and get him to send me some pics to see if its one or two stage.. but can't be too picky for free (my favorite price)

• Like 1

Racinbob

I moved a lot of snow with B-80 before I made it a C-160. I agree with all the comments above and I think you'll be impressed. Wheel Horse had a blurb in the owners manual that you don't install the blower side plates on 10hp or less tractors. Makes sense but I think you'd be fine with them on. :)

Skipper

I may be spoiled on this, but to quote Homer: More power is more better!

Basically you can only have to little power, no such thing as too much.

Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

just curious could a c85 run a snowblower?

Skipper

Yes! but the amount of snow you can blow per minute is almost proportional to the power you can feed it. You could also run a 60" deck, but you would have to go slow. same same.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

If you have a Lawn Ranger and  a Lawn Ranger Snowblower a  6 HP  motor will do just fine for blowing snow!

Get a Horse , a Wheel Horse of Course~!

post-339-0-57387000-1364226381_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

doc724

The other thing to consider is if is a hydro, the effective HP available is decreased some, just how much is not clear to me.  I have used a single stage on a 10hp, a 14hp and a 20hp.  There is definitely a difference.  The lower hp does not have the oomph to barrel thru the snow at the end of the drive.  But as one member said, 10 hp beats one manpower any day.

• Like 3

Oldcpecdr

I have a Hydro and an 8 speed.... thought I would leave the plow on the hydro and snowblower on the 8 speed ... best choice > Or I can look for "mo powah"

jay bee

I have my single stage blower on my B-100  8-speed.  We get plenty of snow in SW Michigan and I don't have any problems moving it.  As stated above, wet snow can be a problem.

ronhatch

Several years ago I had a nice 1970 Simplicity with a vertical shaft 8 HP B &S driving a 36" singl

e stage snowblower; No problem! 

Edited by ronhatch

WHNJ701

one of the best setups I used was a case 220 with the snowcaster.  still have the tractor but the snowcaster rotted out.  that machine could move any amount of snow

littleredrider

I had a 36" on a lawn ranger. But, it had a 13 horse motor on it lol. It wouldn't stop, but would shred the belt if loaded too much. Like others mentioned it all depends on the type of snow. There where times my 520-8 with a plow had a hard time pushing 5-6" of snow, but was pretty much slush. Then other times snow was coming over the top of the blade but wouldn't stop pushing....