The Gman

Sheared head bolt "help"

The Gman

Got another 212 this week. Low compression. Looked like the bottom, sprayed with soap and saw blow by. Bottom bolts were easy to loosen.

Well I done did it. Sheard one of the bolts.

Used heat and pb blaster many times over the coarse of two days.

Any thoughts out of this?

It's a Kawasaki 12hp

20180517_130859-2.jpg

20180517_130852.jpg

BOB ELLISON

I've heard from others to take a nut and weld it in the center to the broken stud. The heat will help brake it loose and the nut head will turn out. Drilling and a easy out is the other way but I have broken a easy out on those before.

• Like 1

WHX??

I like Bob's idea of welding a nut on it .

Might be some other suggestions here too.

• Like 1

The Gman

Lots of good ideas in that thread, thanks.

Might go with a 1/6 or 1/8 th diamond coated bit to get a good pilot thru it then open to 3/6 ths. Then heat and go with a 1/4 left hand drill. Just gotta be sure it's as close centre as I can.

The left over thread is an inch long and open thru the back.

953 nut
13 hours ago, The Gman said:

Just gotta be sure it's as close centre as I can

I have found that taking a file to a broken stud and getting the center flat prior to center punching will help ensure a good centering.

WHX??

Sounds like a good plan Gman... lots of PB Blaster & keep the heat wrench handy. Let us know how it pans out.

doc724

Done that myself.  Ended up pulling the motor, taking it to a shop that had a big drill press and they drilled it out and cleaned up the threads.  Replaced it with a stud and the stud was installed with high temp JB weld.  That was three years ago and no problems to date, other than the hit to my wallet for 3 hrs of labor to drill out the stud. 

joel_400

My suggestion would be to weld a washer to the bolt first then weld a nut to the washer. A man I know who works for lincoln welding taught me that trick. Doing alot of automotive exhaust over the years means removing alot of broken studs. Nothing I hate more than trying to drill hard metal out of softer surrounding metal. Since learning this trick I have taken my success rate from 60% to 95% compared to just trying to weld a nut on it. The reason is that using the washer gives you a bit more control and ability to penatrate the stud. Good luck.

Joel

• Like 2