Bill D

416-8 Skeeter Fogger

Bill D

My local dealer has a 416-8 for sale with 927 on the clock.  It seems to run well and has good power, but smokes badly.  The engine is overfilled with oil and that seems to be the most likely culprit.  It has a good 48 inch deck.  He is asking $400.  To buy or not?  I would check the compression before I bought it.  I am out of room and would likely have to part out my 416H if the motor is bad.  Since I prefer 8 speeds it doesn't matter much to me if the hydro goes.  Anyone interested in a good hydro roller for $200?  I would appreciate any advice on what else could be wrong with the engine besides being overfilled with oil.  Thanks.  Bill

953 nut
7 hours ago, Bill D said:

what else could be wrong with the engine besides being overfilled with oil.

Bering overfilled with oil could be a condition or a symptom.       

If it was an error where too much oil was added then an oil change will rectify the situation. If the oil level is high because of a carburetor leak and the gas has diluted the oil then there could be all sort of damage done to the engine. If the oil has any gas smell at all then just walk away. 

• Like 2

clueless

My question is if he is trying to sell it, why wouldn't he just drain the oil and refill it with the proper amount?  If that's the reason it's smoking :think:.

• Like 4

WHX??

Too much oil can be just as dangerous as no oil, Clueless makes a good point. Check it over very carefully.

• Like 1

Bill D

The machine was a trade in and is being sold as is.  It is in good shape otherwise but isn't something I really need.  I thought about using the motor for parts for my other Onan if needed.  These things are addictive.  Bill

• Haha 2

WHX??
20 hours ago, Bill D said:

These things are addictive.

:lol:

Fordiesel69

If the 416-8 in question is has the very rare M16 single cylinder engine, I would ****** it up and get it rebuilt.  If it has the Onan, I personally would not buy it.  Onans are great when maintained, but terrible to own if not.  They can be VERY VERY expensive to repair.  I would almost say they are the single most expensive mainstream small engine to repair.

ericj

to check the oil in an onan you must pull the stick out and wipe it of then put it back in an check it again, For what ever reason an onan will always check overfull on first pull of dipstick after running, after wiping it off and rechecking it it will show true level. As far as the smoking it could be as simple as the dipstick tube not sealing or a clogged breather. For $ 400.00 It would have been sitting on my trailer, if the deck and sheet metal was fair. and like stated above it would be worth it in parts. I buy all onan motors that I can for parts if they aren't  fubar. "f..ked beyond all recognition" and then if the price is right........ You have a coil, a trigger, carb, the deck, plus the rest of the tractor to resell or do what ever with. good luck

eric j 

Bill D

I forgot to smell the oil for gas when I was there.  There was oil running out of the air cleaner housing and the air cleaner was soaked with oil.  Oil is being pushed out thru the breather, but why?  If there is gas in the oil the fuel pump could be the source, but how much damage was done is the question.  If I have time this week I may go up to the dealer and see if it is still there.  Like I said I don't really need it, but these things are addictive.  That being said I am trying not to make an impulse purchase.  If I do I might have to have a tee shirt made that says "My wife said she would leave me if I brought home another Wheel Horse...  Man I'm ging to miss her".  Anyone here got a shirt like that?  

Bill

• Haha 1

clueless
10 hours ago, Bill D said:

I forgot to smell the oil for gas when I was there.  There was oil running out of the air cleaner housing and the air cleaner was soaked with oil.  Oil is being pushed out thru the breather, but why?  If there is gas in the oil the fuel pump could be the source, but how much damage was done is the question.  If I have time this week I may go up to the dealer and see if it is still there.  Like I said I don't really need it, but these things are addictive.  That being said I am trying not to make an impulse purchase.  If I do I might have to have a tee shirt made that says "My wife said she would leave me if I brought home another Wheel Horse...  Man I'm ging to miss her".  Anyone here got a shirt like that?  

Bill

Yea, I had a shirt like that, but the wife took it with her when she left :auto-layrubber:.

• Haha 1

doc724

It is definitely an oil overfill.  Onans are very sensitive to even the least bit overfill.  Last fall, I changed the oil in my 416.  During the change, it was parked on a very slight incline on the driveway with the front to rear axis of the tractor perpendicular to the angle of incline.  The dipstick was on the upper end of the incline.  I filled it to spec on the dip stick, started it, moved it to the shed and shut if off for the winter.  Went into the shed the next day and there was oil on the floor.  I checked for the usual suspects and finally took the air cleaner cover off.  The filter was soaked, there was oil inside the air cleaner housing.  Obviously the only way for oil to get there was up thru the breather which I new was clean as I had pulled it out before the oil change and it was clean as a whistle.  I put a tag on the tractor to check the oil level in the spring.  Spring comes and before I even start it, I crack the oil drain plug a bit and slowly drain off a little bit of oil at a time, checking the dipstick as I go.  When I finally got it right, I look in the oil drain pan and there was about 8 ounces (one cup) of oil I had drained off.  That little amount of overfill was enough to push oil out of the crankcase.  The machine you are looking at likely has way more than 8 ounces of overfill.

• Like 1

moe1965

If it was a traid in I'm guessing it was traded in for 200 or less I would wait around and offer 250  max that's my 2 cents.   I dealing with a same thing from a dealer on a 10 hp. With a broken axle he got on traid in. First asking price was 450.  It's now down to 250...

Bill D

I might offer 300 and see if he bites.  There is another guy around here who snaps up most any Onan powered Wheel Horse, especially hydros.  I don't have time to work on the ones I have now, and I can't justify bringing home another one right now.  Even if I make it back up there by Friday it will most likely be sold.

Bill