dburu2

97 520H starter issue

dburu2

New starter pushes gear out but won’t turn to crank flywheel same on bench is the new starter bad or is this a relay issue? Thanks

Kurt-NEPA

Welcome to Red Square!

If I'm reading this right, It sounds like the starter drive moves out and engages the gear on the flywheel, but the flywheel doesn't move.

Is the starter drive (Bendix) spinning on the starter shaft.  Most have a pin in there to stop that, maybe its missing.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:             Is the bendix gear driving all the way out and spinning rapidly?           :wwp:

953 nut

Check out section 60 of this manual.

dburu2

No the gear does not spin or turn at all. On the bench or in the machine after it is extended 

• Sad 1

953 nut

Just a thought, do you have the battery hooked up with a negative ground and positive to the starter, if it is reversed it will spin backward and the bendix is directional.

dburu2

Negative grd i’ll Chk it after this race. I actually have one starter on the bench n one on the machine both r doing the same thing

dburu2

Starter doesn’t spin either way after changing polarity . It does extend in both directions. Going to send the new one back have exchanged it for another new one will see if that makes a difference 😣

• Thanks 1