IthacaJeff

Busted hi/low selector

IthacaJeff

Hi folks;

Just got done swapping my 416-8 engine and tranny to a new chassis with a better steering gear. With my son we wrestled on the transaxle to the chassis, but when I tried to slip on the hi-lo lever onto the tranny post, it would not fit. It was slighty at an angle due to my own inadequacies. Well. . . . I had the brilliant idea to try and tap it on to fit. Did not work, and it looks like I loosened the post.  Now, it is stuck in lo gear and the lever just flops around.

Thoughts, even to get in high gear so I do not have to mow at 1 mph?

Thanks

pfrederi

This is what is inside.  Can you rotate the shaft  #45 just sticking a pin through the roll pin hole

hilo.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

IthacaJeff

Shaft #45 now just rotates freely without engaging any gears.

• Sad 1

WHX??

This doesn't sound well Jeff ... sounds like the tranny is gonna have to get split. Does 45 swing 360 degrees?

IthacaJeff

Not sure how much it rotates. I've put the tractor back together and will need to disassemble a bit to investigate more. Maybe in a couple of days. . .

Real, real drag. . . if all else fails I reckon I've got 3 options (no time to even consider cracking the thing open). Anyway, anyone want to vote on what they would do?

1. Swap the tranny from my 310-8.

2. Put the 48" deck on the 310 (definitely no 3rd gear mowing, maybe eve not 2nd gear?) Okay, so this should be the first option, but this is my dozer tractor. Hasn't had a deck on it in 20 years.

3. Put the Kohler 16 hp K341 from the 416 into the 310.

daveoman1966

If you find that # 45 is broken, I have a replacement. 

my direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net 

range lever (2).JPG

range lever (3).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 3

WHX??
11 hours ago, IthacaJeff said:

Real, real drag

Yeah I know what you mean, I had a 5060 just went through. Parked it at a tractor show and when time to load up wouldn't move. Back apart to find a busted hi/low range gear. No idea how it happened.  Probably not your problem but you never know.

20171003_191526[1].jpg

20171005_165904[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

I think the smart money would use the 310-8 for mowing once or twice. With the time you would save doing that, drop the other trans and open it up.  I figure that you either broke or bent something...it should be an easy fix.  If it turns out worse then we think, then take the trans off the 310-8, fix the one off the 416-8 and put that one on the 310-8 when done. :think:

• Like 3

squonk
4 hours ago, WHX17 said:

Yeah I know what you mean, I had a 5060 just went through. Parked it at a tractor show and when time to load up wouldn't move. Back apart to find a busted hi/low range gear. No idea how it happened.  Probably not your problem but you never know.

20171003_191526[1].jpg

20171005_165904[1].jpg

That gear looks all Wisconsiny. You boys are hard on equipment. Broke just sitting at a show! :) :banana-wrench:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

Mooo...Mooo !!:occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

IthacaJeff
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Mooo...Mooo !!:occasion-xmas:

New tractor for Christmas??  Or until the cows come home?  It looks like we'll get the 310 fired up. May need to go slow, but as I am teaching my 16 year old daughter to mow all should be fine. Driving the tractor is a requirement to drive the car. The boys did it, now starting on the girls. Yee hah!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

IthacaJeff

As an update. . . pulled the plow off the 310, pulled off the rigid link connected to the lift rockshaft, re-positioned the mower lift chain on the rockshaft, swapped on the mule, attached the 48" deck, tightened up the deck drive belt, and !viola'!, she mows. The PTO was last used about 4 years ago when I last used the tiller, but has not seen a mower deck in 20 years.

Mowing level on short grass is okay in 2nd gear. Mowing a slight uphill or thicker grass is 1st gear. 

Now to dig back into the 416. Kinda discouraging. . . 

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Right, but you brought yourself some time.  Keep a good eye on that PTO...might need some adjustment after not being used for a while.  Let us know on the transmission.  :)