Sign in to follow this  
Ted J

New Wheel Horse owner & member

Ted J

Hi all,

My name is Ted and my forum name just so happens to be Ted J. I live in Hempstead Texas, which is northwest of Houston about 50 miles.

I'm a new Wheel Horse owner. I have no idea what model or which specific year, I know it's a 70's model, and it is red. I bought it from a nice gentleman about 90 miles south of me in League City, TX.

From what I know he rebuilt it, and changed out the 8HP motor with an 11HP B&S electric start. Three forward gears and reverse, with a grader blade that the gentleman made himself.

Here are the pictures from the Craigslist ad, I haven't taken any of my own yet.

3321736880_5f6f812f94.jpg

I mainly wanted it as a puller and not as a mower. I have a DR Grader and other things for yard maintenance, and a utility cart for hauling around the tools if I need to do something around the property. The Wheel Horse seemed perfect for my needs and it is a hoot to drive. What I like about it is it's not overly complicated and seems very easy to work on. Not like the 48" cut John Deere AWD, that I use to cut the grass, or I should say that my wife uses to cut the grass.

So I am intrigued by these older machines so I figured to drop in and say........ (wait for it)...... Howdy.:thumbs:

Ted

Sparky

:whistle: Thats a cool looking tractor Ted :thumbs: . Is it both pull and electric start? I see a battery on board.

Mike.......

Ted J

:whistle: Thats a cool looking tractor Ted :thumbs: . Is it both pull and electric start? I see a battery on board.

Mike.......

Yes sir both. I guess the pull works.... it has an electric start... so I never tried to pull start it.

The engine itself came with it's own start key and switch. The previous owner just wired it into the original key switch. In order for the original key switch to work the motor key switch must be on... "valet mode". (Now I just need a key fob with an alarm.)

Ted

Mike

:whistle: Nice find Ted, :thumbs:

Coadster32

:thumbs: You might get hooked.

Operator

:thumbs: Yup, you will get hooked on this site. Nice to see some more South West members.

That is a nice lookin unit!

Randy

BadDad

:thumbs:

Donnie here I live in Austin Texas. It is good to see another Texan here. There are not that many little red tractors down here.

Duff

Welcome aboard, Ted! :whistle:

That's a very fine tractor you've got yourself, and it'll give you many years of enjoyment and good service!

Don't hesitate to jump in here with questions and ideas - this is a great group of folks!

Duff :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

:whistle: Ted,

I am glad to see you got the right color of engine to repower your Horse :whistle:

:dunno: :thumbs:

Bill

Nice looking tractor Ted... :thumbs:

TJ

:thumbs:

Ted J

:whistle: Ted,

I am glad to see you got the right color of engine to repower your Horse :whistle:

:dunno::thumbs:

The previous owner took care of that detail. He also said he had two more in his back yard.

Ted

Ted J

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome.

Before I picked it up, the previous owner added a "spring" suspension to the seat, (not shown in pics). A "U" shaped sring that raised the seat by about 3 inches, and I was able to adjust it back a few inches. So it transformed it from a hard tail to a soft tail!!!

I have to figure another way to get on and off that doesn't involve pulling a groin muscle, or get/make a pivot seat.

Ted

Eriks Red horse herd

:thumbs: Ted J nice looking horse! You picked the right make, you can't go wrong. will last for the next generations Thats if'n you treat her right. Enjoy!! Don't be shy now keep comin back!

Ted J

Anybody know the year or model name of the one I got?