BlueOx

246-H clutch issues

WHX??

Just curious, my headlights flickered like mad when the reg was overcharging but seems to have gone away once I replaced the it.

CountryRock

I'd wager mine probably did too.  I never noticed the over voltage issue until later last year though.  By then the incandescent bulbs were replaced.

BlueOx

OK guys here's my latest findings: Battery is only 3 months old. Owner says the battery runs down after using a couple times. I have 14+ vdc coming from regulator. I show 13.8 vdc going to battery. I checked the clutch to see if it showed any continuity to ground and found none and do have continuity to both clutch wires. But, the battery meter shows heavy discharge when the clutch is engaged. Also, this clutch is a used one the owner had put on to replace original. voltage is at WOT. The readings I get show the stator is putting out correct voltage (AC). Any ideas? I'm not sure where to check next. I've checked all the connections and applied dielectric grease everywhere I could get it. Am I missing something? Thanks

pfrederi

Sounds like the clutch is drawing amps at a rate greater than the amperage of the charging system.  The electric PTOs for my Electro/Chargers only seem to draw about 4-5 amps.  With engine off and clutch engaged can you get an amp draw reading???  Maybe the replacement clutch was not the right one or is faulty...

BlueOx

pfrederi, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that next. I didn't know until today that the clutch had been replaced. Not sure what model it came off of. I'm guessing that I'll have to have the switch in the "on" position so I have current flow? Also, I seem to remember there was mention of an aftermarket clutch that was more reasonable. Would you know where to get those? Thanks again

WHX??

@CountryRock put the same on as I. You wouldn't be dissapointed. The OEM clutches are garbage compared to these ....will get you some links if you are thnking about replaceing it. 

• Excellent 1

BlueOx

Thank gentlemen, you’re the best!

• Like 1

WHX??

Here is Country's thread on a 246H. He has pics of that clutch installed.

BlueOx

pfrederi, how do I check the clutch for amp draw? I checked the battery voltage when the switch was engaged and saw a 1+ voltage drop. Thanks

gwest_ca

Do you have a multimeter that will measure amps?

Garry

• Like 1

BlueOx

OK guys, here's my question: I have a multimeter that will measure 10amps, can I test from the clutch plug-in to the battery (+) to check for amp draw ? I'm looking for a quicker way than removing gas tank, battery and fuse block to get the check. Thanks

pfrederi

If the PTO is acting normally it should work.  If there is an issue it may damage your multimeter.  Hopefully it has a fuse.