GREYGHOST

417A Won't move??

pfrederi

The drain is an allen hex.  Usually packed with crud so it can be hard to fin. You will probably need to clean it out before using a 1/4 inch allen wrench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GREYGHOST

The Captain pulled me off yesterday. I was able to get A couple of hours with this Ol Girl today. I found the drain plug thanks to.   According to what I found in the manual here on line said 5qts of 10W-40. In my pictures you can see what I chose to use. I'm a Green/Red guy. So I chose the Green brand after researching the JD TURFGUARD. I've been using it for many years and I've got gallons of it. But since my system wasn't totally empty I only added 3 1/2 gallons and it's overfilled. I'll correct that tomorrow. I flushed the crankcase then added 1 1/2 qts of 20W-50. The book says 30W, after talking with a local retired old time Troy Bolt & Wheel Horse Dealer. And reading and hearing horror stories about the Kohler Hand Grenade issue. I chose to use my Harley Davidson's oil. If that oil can survive and provide the protection in my Bike it should do fine in this Kohler. My next repair will be new plugs,  & points &_Air filter. I did catch a fuel leak tonight under the air  cleaner. It was a deteriorated fuel line. As I'm looking back and wondering why I chose this model & this particular tractor I'm just not sure? P_20180522_203100.jpg.7b2625dd61f448018e14806d3c18ab2c.jpg

GREYGHOST

P_20180522_215528.jpg

320 hrs. Of VERY MAINTENANCE NEGLECTED HORSE. That should be a CRIME!!!!

P_20180522_203142_BF.jpg

P_20180522_215311.jpg

P_20180522_215326.jpg

Edited by GREYGHOST

19richie66

The “hand grenade” issue was with KT17 series 1 engines. Your 417-A should have the series 2.  Full pressure lubrication. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GREYGHOST
5 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

The “hand grenade” issue was with KT17 series 1 engines. Your 417-A should have the series 2.  Full pressure lubrication. 👍

I understand that, but this Ol Girl has developed a Knock. So I might be doing an O/H this winter if I keep her. I'm not sure how the P/O hide it from me before I bought her. It was soft of cold out and I would of thought it would have really been loud then? Thanks for your reply.

Brent

• Sad 1

19richie66

That I don’t know. I have a 418 I bought for parts and finally got it running (like it said it did in the ad) but it hammered badly. I shut it right off and pulled the engine. Put in the shed and saved it for parts. Hope you have better luck with yours. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1