RJ Hamner

Kohler K301 Has me stumped

RJ Hamner

Let me first say that it ran when I brought it home.  Drove it around the guys yard, tried out the mower, drove it onto the trailer and drove it off the trailer and into the garage.

I've done a "ground up" restore on the tractor (70 Charger 12).  Swapped out the breakerless for a battery ignition and swapped out the 10 amp for a 15 amp stator, flywheel and regulator.

Pulled the head, looked pretty good, new head gasket and head bolts.new fuel pump, fuel lines,new switches and wiring, new aftermarket carb, new coil, coil wire, new points, new throttle and choke cables.

Static timed (twice just to make sure) Have tried Autolite 216's and the hotter 437's. changed the condenser to the high dollar Kohler one.

It will idle but when I give it some throttle it stumbles or will rev up a little then quits.

I've gone thru the "trouble shooting " steps multiple time and to no avail

Anyone got any ideas??  I am willing to try most anything at this point

Bob

Daddy Don

Check the gap on your points and make sure they did not open up on you

953 nut

Could be the float is set a bit low resulting in fuel starvation. Will it rev up better with the choke pulled part way? Another possibility would be the high speed needle needs to be opened up a little.

RJ Hamner

Hadn't thought about the float. I'll give that a try. May have to wait on the next rainy day. The wife wants to do yard work while we have a couple of nice days

wallfish

Condenser on the - side of the coil?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

RJ Hamner

Positive side. OMG do I feel like a DA. It should be on the Neg side :blink:

Edited by RJ Hamner
incomplete text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Mike'sHorseBarn
8 hours ago, RJ Hamner said:

We've all done things like that, don't feel bad!

• Like 3

wallfish
9 hours ago, RJ Hamner said:

No big deal, bet you'll ALWAYS have it on the neg side now just like many of us do because the same thing happened. How do you think we recognize that symptom?

Is it running good now? 

• Like 5

RJ Hamner
12 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

We've all done things like that, don't feel bad!

Some days I feel like the windshield.  But some days I feel like the BUG.

11 hours ago, wallfish said:

No big deal, bet you'll ALWAYS have it on the neg side now just like many of us do because the same thing happened. How do you think we recognize that symptom?

Is it running good now? 

They say that a man learns through his mistakes.  If that is true......then I am on my way to becoming the next Eienstein

BTW:  It now runs like a stripped a#&@* ape. (OLD NAVY TERM)

Thanks guys

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

wallfish

Sweeeet!

So how about some pictures of this restored  tractor?

• Like 2

RJ Hamner
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

So how about some pictures of this restored  tractor?

I've got the hydro draining as I type then make the final adjustment on the shift lever and mount the mower deck. 

We have some rain coming so I might get to work on it in the next few days.

Yard Work AKA "Pride of Ownership" tends to put a dent in my work schedule:(

• Like 2

WHX??

Sorry RJ... have to agree with 'fish....... :text-worthless:regardless of the :text-blondmoment:  !!!!!

• Haha 3

wallfish

Take it easy on the guy Jim, the wife is cracking the whip about his yard work so he'll get to it. :ychain:

21 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

Yard Work AKA "Pride of Ownership" tends to put a dent in my work schedule

• Haha 5

RJ Hamner
1 minute ago, WHX16 said:

Sorry RJ... have to agree with 'fish....... :text-worthless:regardless of the :text-blondmoment:  !!!!!

"Never give a sucker an even break"

Photos Soon!!

Just so ya know....I've had sooo many "Blond Moments" I am now bald.

To me, a trip to Fantesy Island is looking longingly at the hair brush and comb section at the store.

• Haha 4

wallfish
4 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

Photos Soon!!

Get some with you and the tractor and add it here if you're interested. The more the merrier!

• Excellent 2

WHX??
46 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

I've got the hydro draining as I  drain another adult beverage.

Yard Work AKA "Pride of Ownership" tends to put a dent in my work drinking schedule:(

Thats how it should have read RJ..... You forgot the very most important  thing too RJ .... with baldness comes wisdom.... ok we'll let it slide bout the points thing...:lol:

Signed 

Midnight Mafia Lawn Mowers

A drinking club with a tractor problem. 

• Haha 1

RJ Hamner

Now THAT sounds like a fun group:D

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

OK  You all wanted pictures.  Refill your glass and set back.  Here we go.   I SHOULD WARN YOU..THE LITTLE GUY IS A CAMERA HOG AND TRIES TO SNEEK INTO ANY PICTURES OF WHEEL HORSES

DSC_0704.JPG

DSC_0705.JPG

DSC_0707.JPG

DSC_0708.JPG

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0710.JPG

DSC_0711.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Jeff-C175
      By Jeff-C175
      I put together a replacement for the missing clutch handle today.  I like it so much I'm going to make one for my C-175 also!

Now I need to figure out how come it's not staying DISengaged.  It EASILY jumps off the detent at the slightest touch.  It appears to be a new bracket / lever, judging from the paint on it, but I have not investigated further yet.  Wonder if anyone has run into this and solved it?

What is the correct routing for the throttle cable?  This just CAN'T be correct!  It's right on the cooling fins of the engine, it's done melted the skin off the cable!  Maybe it's a replacement cable and simply too short?
      If someone could post a pic of the correct routing it would be much appreciated!

While looking that over I noticed some oil 'weepage' at the front of the engine.  To me it appears to be concentrated right under the fuel pump.  I presume there's a gasket there that may need to be refreshed?

The only other suspect is the valve cover but and that appears to be a little weepy too, but  more so the fuel pump. 

What say you K301 gurus?

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      A guy I know runs all his 4 cycle power equipment engines on 2 cycle fuel. He claimed it reduced engine wear. Aside from the added cost of the 2 cycle oil, are there other downsides. Just curious what you all think. 

Joe 

And now for the rest of the story: I spoke to the guy again. He was a mechanic at a place where they operate a lot of outdoor power equipment; with both 2 and 4 cycle engines. To prevent employees from putting straight gas into their 2 cycle machines, all their fuel got 2 cycle oil mix with it. For them, it was more economical to spend money on oil, than on blown engines and downtime. 

Thank for all the great posts. I found some to be very entertaining.

• WVHillbilly520H
      By WVHillbilly520H
      @PeacemakerJack @WHX24 @Achto @953 nut @ebinmaine and anybody else who wants to take a stab at this as I am sure a Kohler is a Kohler no matter what color/brand tractor it sets in ... Back story I bought a group of IHCC just to get the 1 I wanted (126 3rd lowest production) then my son wanted a 1200 like my dad's so I let him have the best 1 of 2 to tinker and learn on, found the original engine had a broken rod so I found him another "running" at idle (I seen and heard in person before buying) K301 out of another CC and let him pull the blown engine and install the new 1 on his own, after installation he couldn't get it to run past idle missing and spattering plus carb leaking, smoking a little bit, then I bring back home and start working on it fixing other mechanical issues then jumped into the engine issues. As follows, wrong coil and a weak spark so all new components set points ran but would NOT really rev up smoked but not to terribly when reviving up but popped and sputtered, off came the head one small spot on the gasket near the exhaust valve looked to be leaking and upon further inspection the exhaust valve was pitted bad (burnt?) so I removed and tried to hand lap didn't work so had the blown engine on hand and stole the good exhaust valve and lapped it and the intake in decently, new head gasket after after cleaning and "planing" the head's gasket surface put it all back together, got it running and warmed up, retorque bolts button that up move onto the carb issues after 2 brand new "China" replicas and cleaned the original other than leaking fuel bowls no matter how I adjust the mixture screws it will idle damn near "perfectly" but getting it rev to WOT without missing popping and sputtering was damn near impossible, so here I am I got it to rev up to WOT without to much much fanfare but now it it will surge (governor moving back and forth ever so slightly unlike idle no movement at all) then will calm down then sputtering like starving for fuel (all 3 carbs, new tank petcock and fuel line , it is gravity fed) sitting still or driving around. After its warm it starts on the first bump of the key idles like new and revs up to WOT but misses/sputters/ surged there... So what else should I do, more/less point gap (now .020", can't pull the blower housing without removing engine "that ain't happening again such a PITA on these wide frame CC to find and paint the timing marks that I tried looking for through a 3/4" peep hole for an hour today)? I set checked and rechecked valve lash 3 times .009" In and .018" Ex... A couple videos to help as well. Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to give as much info the first time to help solve this debacle. And as most of you know I can build and tune a tight SBC this should be a piece of cake.

20201018_144036.mp4 20201129_150743.mp4
    • Slightly Discombobulated
      By Slightly Discombobulated
      I need some help. I picked up a 1968 electro 12 (1-7235) that I'm assuming is an early model built with a leftover 67 engine because the engine patina matches the tractor and it has an external generator/starter instead of the magneto. It's a k301S-4712B. I bought it knowing that the engine turns freely and that it had no spark. Being 52 years old I figured it deserved some fresh ignition parts so I replaced the coil, condenser, points (cleaned and set to .020), spark plug (.035), and plug wire, and I still cannot get a spark at the plug or through my spark plug tester. It turns over okay and I've got 12 volts to the positive terminal on the coil. It's been many years since last worked on this type of ignition system and I'm stumped.  I would appreciate any input/suggestions you might have.  If it were something newer I'd suspect a safety switch but I can't see that this has any.

• illinibrew
      By illinibrew
      I have been into garden tractors for a few years.  Wanted to learn about small engines and buying an old sear suburban was cheaper than the class at the local community college.  Just got a 1980 C85 (with a johnny bucket on it).