Daddy Don

Fuel flow problem

Daddy Don

Had a problem with my fuel flow on the 12hp Kohler. Checked my fuel filter and put a new one on. Still could not get fuel to the carb. Figured the fuel pump  quite. Ordered a electric one. I got to thinking maybe that was not the problem because I would get a little fuel out of the line but not enough to fill the carb. Tried using starting fuel to see if it would run and it did. Took the fuel tank out and took the fuel shut off out and pulled the screen off of it. Sure enough the shut off valve was complete plugged. Cleaned the fuel tank and put a new fuel shut off valve in it and put everything back together. Primed the carb and it fired right up. Next time this will be the first thing I check. Learned a lesson on this one. Proud I had a inline filter before the fuel pump I think it saved it and the carb.   

Edited by Daddy Don
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

skrusins

Glad to see you figured it out. The next time use WD40 or carb cleaner instead of starting fluid.it is too hot small engines causing internal damage.

You'll be surprise how well they work especially the WD40.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Had the same problem Don & traced it back to the petcock. Screen was ok but ripped so just took it off & run an in line filter as should anyway.. Come to find out the cock itself was plugged. This was on a tractor that had been sitting awhile.

Yes starting fluid can wash down cylinder walls as well but so can too WD and carb cleaner if too much used.

Edited by WHX16
  • Excellent 1

Daddy Don

Glad to know wd40 is better will do away with the starting fluid. Thanks everyone for the info.