moe1965

Sunstrand. Transmission oil change

moe1965

I'm changing the oil in my sunstrand trans. And it's taking for ever to get the oil in.  I'm filling it through the dip stick tube and it keeps burping air.  I have changed oil in the stick transmissions through the shifter hole to speed things up.  At the rate I'm going it's going to be next year by the time I get this thing filled.  Also any idea on how many quarts it would take?   Thanks. 

incabman

Take a short length of 1/8 tubing and insert down your funnel while filling and it will allow air to escape while adding fluid. Don't know how much it takes though. I'm sure someone else will let you know.

pfrederi

4-5 qts depends on how well it was drained and if you have hydro lift.

moe1965

I wonder if I didn't put the filter on until it was close to being topped off would let the air out??    

• Like 1

953 nut

I have found that putting a piece of tie wire alongside the funnel will leave enough air gap to allow the transmission fluid to go down. Four quarts should get the job done.

moe1965

Leaving the filter off got me to the 3 qt. Mark in no time then it started to run out. I put the filter on at that point and then  adding a half q t. And let the filter absorb and check in the morning.  More than likely it will be a 4 q t . Fill like was posted.  Thanks for all the help. Warm tempatures on the way here in the north east. Time to role the lawn.   

• Thanks 1