rwmastel

314-8 Rear turf tire size options

rwmastel

On my 314-8 I have 23x9.5x12 turf tires, Titan brand I believe.  I want to replace them because they're old, have cracking sidewalls, and had some punctures repaired (locust tree thorns).

Went to Tractor Supply Co to see what they had on the shelf.  I like to see before buying in a store or on-line.  Anyway, they had some Hi Run that were the same size, and some that were 23x10.5x12.  In this brand, moving from 9.5 to 10.5 wide would get me deeper treads (or taller blocks?) and 4-ply instead of 2-ply.

- Will a 1" wider tire fit the same rim OK?

- Will 4-ply withstand puncture better than 2 ply?

- Why else is 4-ply better (or worse?)

- For simple lawn work (mowing, fertilizing, aeration, bagging....), what are important characteristics to look for in a good turf tire?

pfrederi

The "Ply Rating" is just a load / capacity rating.  It no longer necessarily represents the number of plys.

Al C.

I just replaced the 36 year old 22x7.5x12 on my Wheel Horse SK-486 with  23x10.5x12 Hi Run 4-Plys from Tractor Supply.  They fit fine - no problem.  Look great.  Excellent traction.  Suggestion, have your local tire shop mount them.  I struggled for three hours with no results.  The auto shop did both of them in a half hour for $20.  

BFCD6155-680E-4F47-9722-26F18D2B0924.jpeg

9091DC3E-D358-4CBF-832A-9AF3D194CF7E.jpeg

8460B852-C669-4AFE-9589-3662C0360233.jpeg

C4B39493-4455-4357-BCB1-8CE6C300F7CD.jpeg

31F23351-E18A-400C-B54F-148DF21FEE89.jpeg

• Like 5

KC9KAS

That will only be 1/2" wider on each side of the wheel!

RandyLittrell

Yes they will fit and 4 ply is a thicker tire and will resist flats better. Don't do the 6 ply, they are heavy and don't flex well on a garden tractor so they are rough riding. 

I always have the tire shop remove the old tires and install the new ones myself. I have a couple of tire irons and its just a matter of good lube!! 

Randy

pfrederi
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

Yes they will fit and 4 ply is a thicker tire and will resist flats better. Don't do the 6 ply, they are heavy and don't flex well on a garden tractor so they are rough riding. 

I always have the tire shop remove the old tires and install the new ones myself. I have a couple of tire irons and its just a matter of good lube!! 

Randy

Exactly what do your tires say on the side 4 ply or 4 ply rating???

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

The tire itself will usually say 4 ply, but the ad online will be like-23x10.50x12 4P  So you know the 4p means 4 ply, but I have seen some that didn't say, and if they are too cheap they are probably 6 ply's. 

Randy

pfrederi

The key here is it is a rating not a reflection of the tactful number of layers.  merely the load carrying capability

ply.JPG

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
59 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The key here is it is a rating not a reflection of the tactful number of layers.  merely the load carrying capability

ply.JPG

Yes, but on tractor tires, more "ply's" equal thicker rubber, heavier, and stiffer. The 6 and 8 ply's were made for trenchers and such that are much heavier. . They are like having a solid tire on a lightweight garden tractor. They don't mold to the ground as well either, so less traction. 

Just giving my .02! 

Randy

• Like 2

rwmastel

Thanks for the ply education, guys!

Al - Those 10.5 tires look like a natural fit for those wheels. The old tires must have looked silly skinny.  I'll get 4 ply 10.5 wide.  We'll see if I get Hi Run or something else.

ClassicTractorProfessor

10.50s will fit just fine, can't tell you anything about Hi-Run turf tires as I have no experience with them, but did buy a set of Hi-Run ags for my C125 from TSC last summer, and have been nothing but extremely satisfied with them

Al C.
5 hours ago, rwmastel said:

Thanks for the ply education, guys!

Al - Those 10.5 tires look like a natural fit for those wheels. The old tires must have looked silly skinny.  I'll get 4 ply 10.5 wide.  We'll see if I get Hi Run or something else.

Here is the comparison.  7.5 inch on the right, 10.5 inch on the left - both on the same size Wheel. 

38836587-A6BE-4800-ADE4-A28283F9E57B.jpeg

• Like 2

Skipper

the wider the better :-) It looks gooooood!

• Haha 1

doc724

Here is my 2 cents on the whole tire size thing.  Different manufacturers have different dimensions for the same tire "size.  For example Deestones run on the smaller side.  Kenda's have a wider footprint.  If all you want to do is cut grass, it is not a problem.  If you want to put chains on, it is a BIG problem.  Case in point; I put 23x9.5 Kenda turf tires on my 416H.  These replaced Titans of the same size.  Work great for cutting grass.  Try to put on the chains for snow blower and the chains (even after adjusting so they would fit on the tire) would rub on the sheet metal which holds the gas tank.  Not to mention that they were painfully close to the spinning hydro cooling fan. 

I tried running the 416H without chains.  Not good.  Once you raise the blower and try to back up a slight incline you have no traction without chains.  My solution was quite simple.  Use the 5xi or better yet winter in Florida :-)

WVHillbilly520H

As Doc stated above different brands same size on sidewalls not same size...case in point all these big tires are 23x10.5-12 (2 in front 16x7.50-8), but I believe from looking at the Hi-Runs in my local TSC they run very close to actual 23x10.50, even the AG version, Jeff.

IMAG4023.jpg

rwmastel

Don't know if this is a special sale, or if they are used/refurbished, or it's a pricing mistake, but Walmart has these Hi Run in my (new) size for a SUPER LOW PRICE!!!  I've got two on order.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HI-RUN-23x10-5-12-4-PR-Grass-Master-SU05/39088345

I did buy a single stage snow thrower a few weeks ago.  I assumed I'd be buying rear wheel weights and chains, so I better go check my existing "tire-to-anything" clearance and make sure these new wide tires will work with chains.

Side question - is there a torque spec for tightening the wheel lug nuts?

Thanks!

Edited by rwmastel

pfrederi

They are all made on China these days and it isn't like  am driving the family at 70 mph on the interstate with garden tractor tires.  (anyone remember firestone tires and Ford Explorers??? so much for name brand quality)

No specifies special torque for bolts  Standard for gr5 7/16-20 is 75ft lbs

The were round, they fit, and held air  44 bucks free shipping

tire.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

Al C.

I PAID $90 A PIECE AT TS TWO WEEKS AGO ...:no:!!!!!

Tankman

Walmart $$$$ looks great. Go for it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

RandyLittrell

One nice thing about the Hi-Runs, is that they have matching front and rear tires. I like to do that if possible! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell

rwmastel
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, rwmastel said:

I assumed I'd be buying rear wheel weights and chains, so I better go check my existing "tire-to-anything" clearance and make sure these new wide tires will work with chains.

Yes, with 10.5 wide tires, there might not be room for chains.  Hopefully wheel weights, my own fat rear end, and a nice level driveway will work out fine.