tommyg

Electric Clutch on a D series

tommyg

Geez, it seems like it's been forever since I've been on here. Hope you guys didn't miss me too much. Based on the fact that I had no notifications waiting, I'm guessing not. Lol!

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting an electric clutch on my D-180. Some of you might remember that I replaced the original Kohler K series 18 hp twin with a 25 HP Kohler Command when I broke a rod in the original engine and could not find any replacements. With the modifications I had to make on the clutch linkage, and the fact that I've also outfitted this machine with a 60" deck, the existing manual clutch just can't generate the pressure against the plate that I'd like. The clutch surfaces are fine. Does anyone have any experience with an electric clutch on your D series? I want to maintain the 2 pulley system to drive the rear PTO. What do I need to know? How the heck to those things enen attach to the engine? They all seem like they're earmarked for a specific machine, but are they somewhat universal in design? Some photos would help. I've got a 1 1/8" shaft to work with. Plenty of length to make any forward/aft adjustments.

tommyg

Anybody? I contacted the manufacturer of one particularly clutch I was looking at and they told me that these clutches are highly regulate for safety reasons and they could not give me any advice replacing a manual clutch with an electric. I’m just guessing at this point.

pfrederi

I think only D-160s with Onan's used them...Makes for a small pool.  Sorry can't help specifically.  Don't see why you couldn't use a Electric PTO as used on Electros and other horses.  They have two pulleys. The mount is just a small metal bar attached to the coil assembly that is secured the ginning block.  See item 8.  That keeps the Coil housing from spinning the whole assembly is bolted to the end of the crankshaft

pto.JPG

pfrederi

Tommy:  Check out my thread on Electric PTOs.  There are three assemblies. The field coil, the clutch plate and the pulley unit..  The clutch plate (middle part is keyed to the crank shaft.  The Pulley unit rides on the crank on a bearing so it can sit still while crank is turning.  The Field coil also rides on a bearing on the clutch plate.  The coil never turns and is anchored by the small bracket to the engine block.  The Clutch plate is hedp to the crank by a bolt into the end of the crank.  Not engaged the clutch plate spins with the crank (it has to it is keyed).  the field coil bearing rides on the clutch plate and it doesn't spin..ever.  When you energize the coil it magnetizes the clutch plate which is very close to it.  The clutch plate then pulls the pulley unit into contact with it and they spin.   Hope this makes some sense.

I do not like them because the engagement is violent.  i have to use on my sweepster tractor  c-175 because the engine is from a John Deere and has no thrust bearings on the crank. it works but I engage at idle but it is still pretty violent. No problem running the sweepster slippage wise, I do not know about a 60" deck

IMG_2462.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

tommyg

Thanks, Paul. It just seemed hard for me to believe that one little bracket could absorb the rotational force of the clutch when it was engaged. Seemed to me that it needed to be bolted to the engine somehow. You would think that perhaps someone would have designed some sort of mechanism to absorb the initial shock of the engagement. Where I work, we would be replacing pump bearings and seals on 7 and 12 HP electric water pumps virtually every year. Then we decided to outfit them with soft start VFD's. I'm not sure we've had even one fail in the last 4 years. You would think someone could come up with a similar mechanism for an electric clutch.

As I was thinking about this project, I was reminded that when I replaced the original engine with the Kohler Command, I had to add a piece of metal about an inch or more to the top of the clutch throw arm  because I had to bend the control arm differently to get around the engine. By doing that, I decreased the distance that the arm was able to move the throw arm when I engaged the clutch. Now that I look at it, I might be able to go back to the intended design and just put a couple extra bends on the control arm. I've already added a stiffer spring, but it's just not quite cutting it. Might try this first and see what I come up with. I feel like I should be able to bog down the engine before the clutch starts to slip, but that's not happening currently.

pfrederi

There really is very little rotational force on that bracket...if the bearing in the coil is in good shape.  The electric PTOs came on 12/14 hp units.  I am using it on a 17 (albeit somewhat tired unit).  It is just steel on steel I just do not know if it would hold 20+ hp against a 60 inch deck.  I have a good electric PTO sitting on one of my snow horses (she is a plow tractor and doesn't need it).  I could pull it and send it to you.  Should be simple to mount.  You could try it if it works we could work something out otherwise send it back..... 

tommyg

Thanks for the offer. I've got a 25 hp Command in there now. I'm a little leery of something that's designed for half that HP. I think I'm going to try redoing my manual set up a bit first and see what I come up with. I little tweaking might be all I need. Will let you know how it works out.

pacer

Just for what its worth ---- I bought an 18 Auto and a D200 a while back and the 18 auto had an electric clutch. It was obviously a retrofit as all the manual linkage was still there, as to what it came off of ??? Now that of course was on the beefy 18hp Kohler and I used the tractor for a while deciding which to keep, the 18 or the 200 - the 200 won out and I sold the 18. But it performed well during the time I used it - of course it did have that 'jolt' which I'm not to fond of.

Another 'what its worth' I recently got a Massey Ferguson 1650 and it has an electric clutch - this on a conventional 16hp K341 and aside from the 'jolt' it to performs well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Swemill
      By Swemill
      Hi everyone!
      Long time since i was here and my old pics is gone from the forum.
      I just uploaded a movie with pics on youtube, and thought i could share it for you guys.
      I would love to get some comments on my Youtube channel, from you true Wheel Horse fans! 

Thanks and Best Regards  

• Brandon Byers
      By Brandon Byers
      I know I'm half a year ahead of schedule! 

I picked this 1974 D-180 up early last year. It had a pretty hard life, and the previous owner gave his best attempt at keeping it alive. Hydro was strong so I serviced it and put it to work mowing all year. I decided if it would make it through the season then it would get some TLC. By fall it was burning about a quart of oil an hour but it made it. I have no clue how many hours are on it, every hole, bushing, bearing on this tractor is pooched. If you look closely, somebody used two 1" NPT Pipe Flanges to rebuild the mounting points for the upper 3 point cylinder. Hey it works!
      I rebuilt the steering gearbox and re-bushed the front axle along with making new spindles. 
      I had the 482 Kohler bored .20 over (it was .10 over already) and gave it a rebuild with the intention of putting it back to work on snow duty. 
      I then dawned on me that this tractor will be 50 years old next year - and these old D's are becoming harder and harder to find anymore. So I decided to customize it a bit and go for what a maybe a dealership would offer for a 50th anniversary model if Wheel Horse was still in business today (In another universe, maybe!) 

As D's aren't known for their looks - and I can't leave anything alone. I took approximately 2 Inches out of the grille and bezel. 
      I updated most of the wiring and lights. Gave it a new set of Carlisle Ags along with Vredestein front ribs. It got a new seat and I painted all the accents aluminum. 
      I patched, rebuilt the 48" deck and put new blades, wheels, and hardware on it. The Blade & 3 point scoop somebody adapted to it also got some attention.  
      Lastly I stripped it most of the way down and painted it with IH red acrylic urethane enamel. 
      I always forget to take pictures during my projects but here's a few: 

Before: 

After: 

Thanks for reading!!
    • jmack
      By jmack
      I'm needing the o-ring sizes for my control valve assembly to my D-180.  Does anyone have a list of these or the McMaster Carr part numbers?

Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Sarge
      By Sarge
      What started out as a simple task of moving my 6-1/2' x 12' utility trailer to unload it's contents back into the Shed Repair Project after building a new floor turned out to be a really bad day . I figured the weight of the trailer and it's load was probably around 2,500lbs or more and the big D-180 should be able to handle it . Used the 3pt hitch and an adapter to lift the trailer tongue and off I went...until I got to the end of the north drive and the pump coupling on the hydro failed - badly . In hindsight - the trailer probably weighed closer to 4,000lbs the way it felt behind the truck ...

Now , the trailer had to be taken off the tractor and put on it's jack ....which didn't work out too well loaded that heavily . Since the trailer was built with 2x3 angle iron on the tongue it decided to fold itself into a pretzel - despite the wheels being blocked tight so it couldn't move . It fell over and I had to use the HI-Lift to get it off the ground . The sight of the trailer falling over in the rear view camera on the Dodge is still well embedded in my memory - I knew that was going to be another large project .

The coupling had an earlier repair from last winter's failure - so a pto pin was driven through the hole to get it out back to my work area to be fixed later . It made the short trip , but just barely and the tow valve was frozen tightly . As it turned out , the damage to the D was a much bigger issue..and cost 3 times as much in total .

The pic doesn't do the damage any justice - that entire tongue was bent badly -

Sand blasted , new tongue built and waiting for paint -

Painted , as it sits now awaiting the lights , wiring and re-install the floor decking .

All the while - got more work done on the D's pump problem . Found a great used pump , as well as a spare coupling in good shape . After a lot of machine work ($$$) we came up with a solution and everything was back together...

After all this I found that both the original mufflers were completely shot and falling apart - so another project ...

Bought a pair of 180* mandrel bends , two cone transitions and a pair of @jimkemp 8" mufflers (very nice, btw) . Fabricated the flanges for the engine's exhaust ports , as well as the pipes for the stacks -

Spent a lot of time rolling the engine over on the starter to slowly prime the pump back up and finally , after several months - fired Big Ugly to test the exhaust before painting the stacks . No leaks from the hydro thanks to some new o-rings and backer rings from @pfrederi on the hydro manifold , that was a big relief .

A bit shocked at the sound of the big opposed twin - somewhat like a Harley running on the choke or something - but overall not obnoxious or too loud ....

D180 startup.mp4

If you don't want to wait for the MP4 to load - here's the YouTube link -

I don't think the camera's microphone will show the sound too well , but so far I like it . Took a ride around the block , nice having this beast back up and running , finally . Now to finish that dumb trailer....pretty much wasted nearly the whole summer getting all of this done plus the hours at work . I'm about ready for a break but need to get ready for winter .

Sarge

• Sarge
      By Sarge
      I know in the past someone posted up the sizes/numbers for the o-rings that fit between the hydro pump and the steel lines' manifold blocks on the D-series - I'd imagine the ones at the pump end and rear axle are the same ....?
      Will be changing my pump soon due to the hydro to engine coupler blew out it's splines and took out the shaft along with it . Evidently a trailer weighing around 2.5 tons was too much....

I'll try to write up a post on how to build a new coupler from a later model C series pump pulley's center ring and a worn D coupler as well - trying to finish up the Ross steering box right now .

Sarge