Stealth126

C-81 Ignition switch

Stealth126

Can anyone help me with a C-81 parts list? I can't find one. My manual for my 1067 has a complete list. Anyway, I need an ignition switch and don't have the part number. Thank you.

WHX??

What year & model #?

Stealth126

1978 C-81

WHX??

• Like 2

Stealth126

Thanks a lot. I'll check this out. 

pfrederi

You have a battery ignition and a starter solenoid so even a cheapie from Lowe's Home depot will work just fine.  (Make sure it says I for igntion.)

• Like 1

Stealth126

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Stealth126

Alright. Part ordered. Aftermarket 11 bucks. Now it looks like PO removed the voltage regulator and left a mess of the wiring. I'm inclined to get a new harness and redo everything by the book. I hate wiring and don't understand it at all. Any thoughts?

Stealth126

Maybe I'll give you some back story. My grandfather has a Raider 14 that he's had since I was a kid (35 years). So when my old Sears copped out last summer my wife wanted me to get a box store Husqvarna and I wanted an old Wheel Horse. 6 weeks ago I got a 1067 with 2 decks for 350 bucks. Got it cleaned up, cleaned the carb and it's a thing of beauty. I enjoyed tinkering with it so much that I started looking for a project. I don't have much business looking for that kind of project because I've never done much mechanical work. But the simplicity of that old thing gave me confidence I've never had. So here comes my new C-81 that I got for 50 bucks. No key. Ignition ripped up from starting with a screwdriver. Wiring is modified. Fuel line removed. No battery. In fairly thoroughly over my head, but here we go. I put the fuel line in it and got a battery. Hoping I could at least get it to turn over. Nothing but a hot to the touch coil. Any suggestions are welcome.

moe1965

There are wireing diagrams here you can down load for you tractor.  Keep plugging away I'm sure you will get it.  I'm not good with wireing but the diagrams are easy to follow.  Keep us updated 

gwest_ca

This wiring diagram will work for you. Click on the pictures below.

A lot of good service info in this service manual. Wheel Horse published very few of these back in the day. Engines and transmissions have their own manuals.

If you find the ID plate post the model number and serial number.

Garry

• Like 1

Stealth126

Thank you for this. There's a lot here to study. I'll get back with questions along the way. 

Stealth126

Does it matter which end of the solenoid the positive from the battery connects to? Or is it just positive one side negative on the other? Then negative to the starter?

Stealth126

20180403_191745.jpg.766cc858dc431dbe208fad116dee441c.jpg

Stealth126

08K802-15876

Edited by Stealth126

gwest_ca

With most solenoids it does not matter which side the positive battery cable goes to. The few that require one specific stud connected to the battery cable are rare and usually identified. The 1961 model 701 used such a solenoid. The other large terminal goes to the starter and it is also positive when the solenoid is activated.

The negative side of the circuits are the chassis metal which is grounded by the negative cable to the battery.

Garry

• Like 1

Stealth126

20180403_191903.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Click on the fuzzy picture

Garry

• Like 1

Stealth126

Wow. I just saw that this exact number showed up on that list. Built Thursday, January 4th, 1979. That's really cool. I was born in 1979.

20180403_191922.jpg

Stealth126

I decided to go forward with a new harness. This one has stuff ripped out of it. The new one I got on ebay for 25 bucks. Still in the Toro packaging.

Stealth126

Guys I don't even know if this thing has compression. I sure don't know if rewiring this thing will even give me a spark. Am I getting ahead of myself on this thing?

gwest_ca

I just added your serial to that list. Wheel Horse never published them so just an interesting exercise to see how it all happened.

Garry

WHX??

That tag pic was what I was looking for in post 2. That tells us everything about your tractor to make sure you get the right manuals. Aside from the seat that tractor looks very savable and we would encourage you to do so. I like to give my new to me horses a good bath first but thats just me. You might be getting a little ahead of yourself but eventually the wiring has got to get straightened out so no harm. You got a deal on the harness if correct. I would have built my own but then again wiring is my specialty. Hot to the touch coil is never a good thing so you will be checking points & condenser issues. Have patience with her and ask here with issues if not sure.

Stealth126

Thanks for all the advice. I will put in some time and keep checking back with what I run into. Very nice to have the help.

mikeeyre74

Wiring diagrams and electrical stuff in general used to completely befuddle me. They still do when it gets to the more complex tractors like my 520,  and I have to call in my smart friend to help me figure that one out when it isn’t working quite right… But for the easier stuff like this one (I know it might not seem like it now), the wiring diagrams aren’t too bad and you really just kind of have to follow them from one place to the next. These guys on here are super helpful and I have no doubt you’ll get refigured out. You’re going to need the wiring up anyway, as someone already mentioned, and if you need a replacement engine, they’re easy enough to come by and install. 

What is it that “you know” that leads you to believe you have no compression?