classiccat

Tecumseh HH100 Crossroads

classiccat

As the title suggests, I'm at a crossroads for a '74 HH100 (10hp) cast iron tecumseh sitting on my shelf.  

It looks like it was once part of a generator or welder (seller's pic below).

bE6XCKz.jpg

With a decarb, valve job, tank / carb cleaned and a new head gasket, it runs smooth, no knocks/smoke and has nice throttle response. 

The bore and ringgap are in spec. 

The only downside is that the crank is hacked off (I assume it was a tapered shaft anyway) and there's no keyway.

nkConTX.jpg

What would you do?:

1. Buy another crankshaft and possibly a connecting rod?
  2. Have a keyway milled in the existing crank and add a shaft adapter (1 1/8")

Here she is getting acquainted with her cast-iron K181 cousin.

tSqh3Rd.jpg

I think she'd make a fine power plant for a wheel horse roller someday! 

953 nut
19 minutes ago, classiccat said:

What would you do?:

1. Buy another crankshaft and possibly a connecting rod?
  2. Have a keyway milled in the existing crank and add a shaft adapter (1 1/8")
  3. Run away as fast as I could!           :ychain:

I don't think a key-way could be milled into that crank without removing it.There are bound to be lots of dead Tecumsehs out there with bad ignition systems you could pick up cheap for a crank shaft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish

You can attach a pulley by drilling a hole 1/2 in the pulley, 1/2 in the shaft. Thread the hole with a tap and lock it together with a set screw

5ac02265c665e_pullyshaftattach.jpg.fade5488782d14b0ef4a05a8c1de1e19.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

classiccat
37 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I don't think a key-way could be milled into that crank without removing it.There are bound to be lots of dead Tecumsehs out there with bad ignition systems you could pick up cheap for a crank shaft.

Option #3 never cross my mind :lol:   I got it for next to nothing and I'm a sucker for old iron.  

I already have most of the internals out (I wanted to get measurements off of the crank before considering my options.); the crank is just chillin' in there. 

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a cheap shortblock; I'll be hitting an auction or 2 this spring.

classiccat
36 minutes ago, wallfish said:

You can attach a pulley by drilling a hole 1/2 in the pulley, 1/2 in the shaft. Thread the hole with a tap and lock it together with a set screw

That's a slick idea John!  That's easy enough to try!

R. L. Addison

Too bad we are not closer. My HH100 looks like it has been run very little after being bored .010, oil clean, no ring groove at all, also no spark. Are ignition available? My brother tried to find ignition parts for one years ago. He was hoping I had what he needed, buy the only Tecumseh I ever owned I sold without trying to get it running a couple years before that.

I think the one I have is going to become a Charger 12 with a Kohler, I'll have to keep it as I'ii never get my investment back, but could have a good unit to have for generator/air compressor/hjgh pressure pump, or maybe a sicle bar, (I can dream can't I?) or maybe my tiller. Ron A.

classiccat
1 hour ago, R. L. Addison said:

Too bad we are not closer. My HH100 looks like it has been run very little after being bored .010, oil clean, no ring groove at all, also no spark. Are ignition available? My brother tried to find ignition parts for one years ago. He was hoping I had what he needed, buy the only Tecumseh I ever owned I sold without trying to get it running a couple years before that.

I think the one I have is going to become a Charger 12 with a Kohler, I'll have to keep it as I'ii never get my investment back, but could have a good unit to have for generator/air compressor/hjgh pressure pump, or maybe a sicle bar, (I can dream can't I?) or maybe my tiller. Ron A.

I don't have any experience dealing with a bad HH SSI ignition... however if I were in that position, I'd probably look into converting the SSI to a battery ignition.  You can scab one together with parts from auction sites but you're going to pay $$$.

It's too bad that they abandoned points ignitions back then; there would be many more in use today if they hadn't.

Howie

I started gathering parts to convert a 10 hp to points for a friend's Massey Ferguson tractor. Still have the side cover and cam for it. His was the windings on the stator bad. The one he had could be rewound. Would have to look up the guys name. 

• Like 1

Bert

As stated There are many ways to get the HH100 up and ready for a horse. I currently have 3 and gave my old reliable 1045 with Tecumseh transplant to my brother. All are still running strong. If I were in your spot I’d find a different crank and side cover.  

The common 70’s era side covers have the same bolt pattern as a  8 hp Kohler and a raider engine mount plate can make it a bolt in swap on a B-80 or C-81 and some others. 

With :wh: using both 1” and 1/18” cranks it wouldn’t matter much what size crank you find as long as it’s to spec. Here’s a pic of one I’m currently putting together, waiting on @jay bee to fill his muffler order and then it’s another horse back to work:woohoo: E5A67190-F182-4CEA-AF28-A8F2C7977BF1.jpeg.7d44942bcb547f50e6a9458e9458caa7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

classiccat
3 hours ago, Bert said:

As stated There are many ways to get the HH100 up and ready for a horse. I currently have 3 and gave my old reliable 1045 with Tecumseh transplant to my brother. All are still running strong. If I were in your spot I’d find a different crank and side cover.  

The common 70’s era side covers have the same bolt pattern as a  8 hp Kohler and a raider engine mount plate can make it a bolt in swap on a B-80 or C-81 and some others. 

With :wh: using both 1” and 1/18” cranks it wouldn’t matter much what size crank you find as long as it’s to spec. Here’s a pic of one I’m currently putting together, waiting on @jay bee to fill his muffler order and then it’s another horse back to work:woohoo: 

Thanks! 

good point on the sump cover... may as well throw-in the bearing races as well :lol:.

video of her running (~ 8:00 mark... and my cellphone smacking off the ground around the 8:10 mark :o) after i spiffed her up a bit...

^^^ waking-up an old engine never gets old!!

• Excellent 1

Bert
11 hours ago, classiccat said:

^^^ waking-up an old engine never gets old!!

:text-yeahthat:

sounds good 

• Thanks 1