Sign in to follow this  
Rfischer

How to get Throttle & Choke Handles off

Rfischer

OK, stupid question...... on my C-175, it has "T-Handle" style throttle and choke controls. How do they come off? I figured they just pull off, but I have yanked on both of them just about as hard I could for fear of breaking them. I was ordering parts the other day and included a replacement set, but don't want to break them if I don't have to. Where they glued in?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

TT

One of the easiest ways is to clamp a small pair of locking pliers (Vise Grips) on the lever (just behind the knob) and then you can carefully pry against the pliers to remove the knobs.

I also have good luck using my diagonal wire cutters to pinch the lever, and then twist them outward against the knob to pop it off. (it would be easy to show you, but it's hard to explain on here)

Electro12WH

Can I highjack this thread? Thanks!

I have trouble w/ the old pull and twist controls. After useing them for awhile the handles want to turn on the shaft. Is there a cure for this?

Sarge

I know the last throttle cable I bought from the local Todo dealer was junk, the handle worked loose in 2 days use . Can't remember now who it was but bought a set of choke/throttle cables off Epay that cost half as much and work perfectly. Even the locking throttle cable works like it should , not like the aftermarket junk one from Todo.

I may be just a little irritated with them, dunno...maybe it's just the meds.

Sarge

Rfischer

Thanks TT, will give the visegrip trick a try. Wonderfull invention visegrips, could not get by without them!

Randy

refracman

I have found useing a 1x4 and a claw hammer works well. Take the 1x4 and lay it on the dash then slipe the claw of the hammer under the knob and pry, it"ll pop right off and not mare the knob and the dash is protected with the 1x4. This will work with the hood also. When I reinstall I heat the knob shaft for 10 or 15 seconds with a propane torch and push and hold it in place till it cools.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Refracman is correct, prying them off the claw hammer. Be sure the parts are warm, above 70

Rfischer

thanks for the idea guys, will try them out tomorrow.

Docwheelhorse

The claw hammer sounds like a real good way, but here is how I Git R Done.... Take a pair of channel locks or similar water pump style pliers and put the jaws just behind the knob. Don't clamp down on the shaft but close the gap of the jaws right up close. Take a rubber mallet and GENTLY give the pliers a knock in the area behind the knob. Easy as it gets....

Tony

Then there was the time I used dynamite.... :thumbs: I'm still looking for the knob :whistle:

:whistle:

• Haha 1