Al C.

Generation Gap

Al C.

I agree.  The Wheel Horse will probably lose because it has a manual transmission, two shifters, and a clutch.  What are those ... ?!

Edited by Al C.
  • Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

I started out on the CC original at age 6 then dad got another Cub 1200, when I got my own place with land I bought a Cub 106(which I regret selling), then around the same time a newer aluminum rear gear drive CCC (late 80s that wasn't near the 106) traded it off for the brand new 520H 20 years ago ain't looked back.

• Like 1

Al C.
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Maybe I should try that at my local Lowe's...silly boy orange is for carrots and toys if ain't red leave in the shed...:ROTF:

IMAG2970.jpg

Great looking Mahindra !!!!!   Wish I had room for a FEL.  My wife says my car has to go first.  Tough trade-off. 

• Like 1

Tankman

Grass cutting season always makes me chuckle

when I see the 'Land Gurus' looking at 'tractors' at Lowes or Home Cheapo.

40+ years ago, purchased a Crapsman. Friend laughed and left. Returned later with my first Horse.

Sold the thingy.

My first Horse and my oldest son (now 50'ish).

AJ-Horse.png.56fc0b2c1d66c5707e38c3f8e329f30a.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

jsPond

Years ago I had a little fun with one of the guys at the local Sears.  I was walking thru the tractors and mowers, just taking a look at what they had.  A salesman approached me and asked "are you looking for a tractor?"  I just looked at him and said, "yeah, do you have any?"  He went on to help someone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

clueless
2 hours ago, Al C. said:

Is it just me, or is that Mahindra looking at the camera? Looks a little sinister:(.

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Al C. said:

What car you gotta let go...momma knows my toys (tools) don't go nowhere they just hide...

IMAG2997.jpg

• Haha 1

Retired Wrencher
23 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Before we moved to Florida in 2000 just about everybody knew Wheel Horse. For the 17 years down there just about nobody did. Now back home just outside of South Bend and a mile from the old :wh: plant I'm amazed at the number of people that haven't heard of them. Times sure are changing. :(

It would be an interesting poll to sit your beautiful SK next to that Husky and see who would pick what. Actually, it might be a sad poll.

the old :wh: plant I'm amazed at the number of people that haven't heard of them. Times sure are changing. :(Now that is Sad to hear that. 

• Sad 2

dells68

I'm lucky that at the age of 10, Emory really enjoys his horses.  He sees the value in older things.  Given the choice between an antique or something new, he always chooses something old!  A friend offered him a special horse the other day at a very fair price.  Now, he's willing to look at his herd and sell one or two to fund the purchase.  I'll post more on what the horse is as well as his for sale items in a few weeks:wh:.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

He sees the value in older things.  Given the choice between an antique or something new, he always chooses something old!

:text-yeahthat:        That being the case I guess @Ed Kennell and I must be worth a fortune!       :ychain:

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

The bumper on that orange thing! If you need a push bar that big, perhaps you shouldn’t be driving after all? 

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:        That being the case I guess @Ed Kennell,  @elcamino/wheelhorse, and I must be worth a fortune!       :ychain:

I didn't want Jim to feel like a youngster. Correct me if I'm wrong Dick,  But Jim has to be a "Level 7" and I know he is a valuable gem.

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am a level seven , the wife calls a " funny little man " , my mother (she is 91 ) calls me a stubborn jackass. Everybody else calls me a grump or worst.

Never thought I would make it to level seven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Red144runner
On 3/29/2018 at 1:40 PM, jsPond said:

Years ago I had a little fun with one of the guys at the local Sears.  I was walking thru the tractors and mowers, just taking a look at what they had.  A salesman approached me and asked "are you looking for a tractor?"  I just looked at him and said, "yeah, do you have any?"  He went on to help someone else.

Sears now or any craftsman made in the last 20 years are box store quality. I had a 1987 GT18 that I bought for the engine. That tractor was pretty rugged. Had a horizontal opposed twin I/C Briggs (others had Onan and kohler k and magnums). Not near as heavy duty as the horses, frames were thinner and an aluminum cased rear. But the aluminum was thick and it has a 2 speed rear. If this tractor was made today it would be just below the top of the line gt deeres and case. Quality and box stores parted ways a long time ago. Occasionally I go for light bulbs and spray paint. Hardware, lumber, tools and equipment I purchase from local independent  places. 

Look at craftsman tools now, years ago all the power tools were house brand, made in USA and were good quality. It's all my Grampy bought. Then DeWalt showed up, dremel, and others too. Then the little tag on the craftsman didn't say made in Chicago it said China. But the price didn't drop. The hand tools held for a while. First the combo wrenches went to china, I never thought they'd sell out the socket sets but they did with the pliers and finally the screwdrivers. Blame harbor freight Home Depot and Lowes. They sell cheap junk. $20 for a 90 piece socket set it hard to compete with. And they can claim their stuff compares to snap on or s-k but that's all bs. The tools are surface hardened and fail under less than severe load. 

You could probably sell a "classic" Wheelhorse today. First there's almost no competition, I know there are z turns and scuts. Market it commercial, dealer only who knows? Wouldn't be a huge seller I'm sure but there is a market for quality tools for guys who miss them

IMG_4950.JPG

• Like 1

MalMac

Someone needs to explain to me why garden tractors, lawn tractors and even big farm equipment from articulated 4 wheel drives to combines need to have sloping aero dynamically hoods? Sure you might get some better visibility, but there again on a combine the hoods in the back. 

I have farmed and mowed grass for years and I have never been hampered by needing to be able to cheat the wind by picking up extra speed to get down to the end of the field. I did not know that as I was mowing with a horse that my square open hood was hurting my speed. I just don’t see it. I must be missing something here. Maybe I should contact NASA or Gen. Chuck Yeager and ask them. For some reason something tells me if I did the guys with that white straight jacket might be after me. Yet people go out and purchase aero dynamically lawn equipment and people think nothing of it. Just can’t figure it out.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Al C.
On 3/29/2018 at 6:46 AM, Al C. said:

2EB322BA-7C31-4121-A072-D7BBFE6EB3E9.jpeg

A6BBCCA6-4AE2-4FCB-ADA7-3320FD127AEA.jpeg

The SK-486 has 1,362 hours on its meter. Doesn’t break a sweat mowing or pulling. Spindles purr like a cat.  Doesn’t cough or smoke.  I wonder how the orange brand will run when it passes 1,300 hours?

Edited by Al C.
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66
On 3/29/2018 at 6:51 AM, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:            I'm surprised he didn't point out the fact that your's doesn't have a drink holder!              :ychain:

Or a zillion safety switches .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2