Jerry Boger

Need some Help

Jerry Boger

Recently bought this lil gem and need some help Identifying possible year, make and such. I have already started getting it apart and having no issues but will possibly be needing some different parts but 99 percent of it is restorable. Engine is only thing shot

Any help would be greatly appreciated

5aba8131f01f5_tractor4.jpg.df13f3349f7ddbc52b3c2d99f2a6cf7e.jpg5aba812c494eb_tractor3.jpg.557af5e0778fd6ae16f166839bfe08f6.jpg5aba81262b23c_tractor1.jpg.2c6ee600adae8291c44b335566d80af8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:WRS: Jerry

What you have there is a nice 1960 Suburban model 400. Not the worst shape from what we've seen either. Engine would have been a Clinton 1290B in early production followed by a Kohler K91, both 4 HP. Others will be along to welcome you and add.

• Like 1

Chris G

I would say you got a 1960 suburban 550 or a 400. Motor is not original so that would be the main deciding factor in my opinion.

Edited by Chris G

Jerry Boger

Thanks for the info, knew the motor wasnt original and its no good anyways (locked up) but here is how she sits now except ive removed the seat and fenders.

Dont feel I did too bad only gave $100 for it just wanna make a good lil rider for my son. I have the original deck as well but dont intend to put it back on. Any good places to look if parts are needed, will def need a steering wheel and do you by chance know what the lug pattern would be it seems from a cpl pics and videos ive seen that you can put 15 inch wheels on it

20180318_192913.jpg

20180318_192924.jpg

20180318_192931.jpg

20180318_193047.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

midpack

look at that old Mustang II in the background acting like a bench... lol

Jerry Boger

Thats my 77 Mustang II, Mach 1, V-8 4spd with air. Car only has 4867 miles on it......too many projects had to move out of garage for a bit lol

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

Back in highschool a buddy of mine had a Cobra version (just like the one in the movie Zookeeper)...I'm a Bowtie guy but do like little cars with big engines...i think the last got some hints from my ride :think:, Jeff.

Screenshot_20180327-162314.png

Screenshot_20180327-162355.png

78BU13.JPG

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

The bolt pattern on the wheels is 4.5" five bolt just like a Ford.

Be aware that the front end on these is very very light. If you plan to have your son drive it be sure to add weight to the front and a set of wheelie bars would be a good idea too.

I bought a Suburban 400 for my wife a few years back and the first time she drove it was her last! When the front end went up a couple feet in the air she shut it off and never got on again.

• Like 8

Jerry Boger

Thanks for the bolt pattern info, im already working on a set of weights to use on the front bumper similar to a pulling tractor, now just to find a set of 15 in wheels for the back, any worries on backside spacing of wheel? will it need any spacer?

Edited by Jerry Boger

Ed Kennell

I'm likin that custom front bumper.

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, Jerry Boger said:

any worries on backside spacing of wheel?

Best bet would be to hit the friendly local auto salvage yard and see what looks like a winner. One of mine has a pair of front wheel drive van rims turned around backward. Had to think outside the box a little but it worked.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS

@Jerry Boger :WRS: You got a fine looking little tractor for $100!

• Like 3

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:  That tractor is going to make a nice project...

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Joeputz

Great looking tractor, I love the look of the old round hoods. I have a 551 I'm redoing now and I bought a steering wheel from this website for mine, https://www.steinertractor.com/GTS002-steering-wheel The best places I've been able to find parts for my project have been either the classifieds here on Red Sqaure or ebay. Good Luck with your project!

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Checkout the Ford 8N  splined steering wheel at Tractor Supply.   I've read that you or a machine sho can drill out the splines and it looks close the deal to original. 

Very nice looking Suburban project

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Jerry Boger

@Ed Kennell, the front bumper is what was throwing me off because I couldnt find another pic of one with it

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I'm guessing the PO that built it was inspired by his daily driver.

1929-ford-tudor-rear-frame.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1