Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

ATV riders?

Rollerman

My son & I enjoy rideing quads & I thought I'd see if any one else rides also?

Mike I've seen pics of you on your utility. :D

I also see are new member Darren over on the far north east has a rail..."not a quad, but they tend to run in the same areas"

Anyways hope to hear from a few othe members who ride & maybe post some pics.

Maybe get together for a ride & talk red tractors. :(

Here's a few pics of past & present quads.

IM000728.jpg

Arctic Cat 700 that I had...traded in.

006.jpg

The boy's latest ride.

056.jpg

My newest ride! :P

T-Mo

Stephen,

That Suzuki and that Kawasaki looked fast.

Myself, I don't have one but have considered getting one. I see myself with one like your old Arctic Cat, or that style, or with a Gator/Kawasaki Mule type vehicle. A little more utility and a little more mundane. :D I just like the Gator/Mule type as I like having the little bed and ability to take a passenger.

nylyon

I'll come riding with ya, but I'm more of a Jeep Cherokee type.

Rollerman

Terry I hear ya...actuall I had a few differant sport quads prior to the big Arctic Cat.

The group I ride with decided to jump ship & go into the 4X4 scene.

I enjoyed the big cat, but it was just that BIG & would get spooky if you tried to push it.

Any guesses what happens when your rideing in the MI wilderness & all your buddies are rideing sport quads & have the maps....wou get lost. :(:D

I have yet to ride the Kawi...waiting for the boy to get home & take them to the outlaws to play a little.

I guess I still have a lot of kid in me & I'm not ready for an old mans quad. :(

Karl anytime...in fact I know some trails in MI that are just wide enough for..... :P

TT

In my younger (single) days, I could have been found by listening for the WICKED-EVIL rumble of a Bassani power pipe on a severly modified '82 Honda ATC110, or a DG RCM exhaust "hanging out the back" of an '85 Honda ATC200X 3 wheeler. I eventually ended up with a 1985 350X 3 wheeler, then an '86, then another '85! :(

I never owned a 4 wheeler (and probably never will) but I grew up on 3 wheels. I've had anything from a 1970 Honda U.S. 90 to a "brain-fart" CM400T street bike conversion, and a semi-cool '83 Yamaha Tri-Moto 175 two-stroke that vibrated itself apart on a regular basis. :P

At one time I had a 150+ member Yahoo group for the Honda ATC, but passed it off to another member when I sold my last "X".

If anyone is interested, I can scan some old photos and post them here, but they won't compare to the multi-thousand dollar machines they make nowdays.

And this deal with power steering on an ATV..... :D Who'da thunk it ? :( We considered front brakes a luxury! :(

Rollerman

Terry I used to have a Tri Z 250...it must have been built like yout Tri-Moto 175..I mean you'd have to dunk that thing in lock tite & it still fall apart. :(

But in it's day & with a less wear n tear it was a beast for sure.

As far as the power steering issue...in the utility ranks I'd say it's been a long time comeing.

Must 4X4's have a diff locker & with that kicked in steering is nearly imposible..or was on my Cat.

Even running with the front diff open they like to follow ruts..or roots!

Now a buddy runs the Grizzly 700 with the P/S feature & am impressed with it...enough to get rid of the big, bulky Cat & look into one in the future. :P

I know though...who woyuld of ever though back in the late 70's when Honda came out with the ATC you'd see fuel injection,power steering,security coded keys,side by sides...etc,etc.

Oh yeah...my first ride was an ATC 125E. :D

pond195520032003

I dont have anything right now :o but used to have a Honda 185 3 wheeler that i could ride a wheelie as long as any road was strait, had a trailer hitch on the rear :( totaled it whe a buddy of mine stopped in front of me suddenly :o also had a big red in excellent condition,except the engine was gone when i got it(the guy i got it from had it at school to rebuild it and got thrown away) :(:D also had a scat trac 3 eheeler that was awesome :o had a suzuki 250 4 wheeler, but traded it for a 57 chevy 4dr hardtop! B) But Im going in a couple days to pick up a Pug ATV 4x4 :( wish i still had a 3 or 4 wheeler :P

TT

Seeing these pictures makes me feel OLD :D ..... but if it wasn't for Honda bringing those fat-tired little machines across the pond in 1970, there probably wouldn't be any 4 wheelers like we know of today. :P

1979 ATC110 (my first 3 wheeler):

1101.jpg

1982 ATC110 (The only mod not done was a stroker crankshaft :( ):

1102.jpg

1983 Yamaha YT175K (Loctite red was a MUST! :( ):

175TM.jpg

1985 ATC200X (restoration PLUS):

200X.jpg

1984 ATC200X (Built from spare parts from 3 machines!):

200X1.jpg

1985 ATC350X (The last one I owned -- sold it about 4 years ago):

350X85-2.jpg

Rollerman

Nice rides Terry.

Never got a chance to throw a leg over a 350X....bet they were torqey?

I see the old ATC's on craigslist from time to time & may pick one up sometime.

My son doesn't understand it at all. :P

I had a lot of fun rideing the old ATC 125E...& a few E room visits from it too. :D

TT

They were definitely something that was hard to hang on to, Stephen -- IF you could get them started! :( (They used to say you could pick out a 350X rider in a crowd by his enormous right leg :( )

The shorter wheelbase and close ratio six-speed meant the front tire spent more time in the air than on the ground, the suspension had lots of travel with perfect spring rates, and the four valve single had all the torque you ever needed. :P (it was rated at 27 horsepower!) :D

I would have to say that in their time, they were the best "all-purpose" 3 wheeler produced. I know a lot of folks sprung for the Goki electric start kit for them too -- you can't ride 'em if you can't start 'em! :o (I never thought they were THAT bad -- compared to my '76 XLCH Sportster. :( )

Sparky

My son and I ride some old school stuff. I have a 2000 Honda Rancher 4x4 350ES(no power steering, no heated hand grips...) and he's on a 1998 Kawasaki Bayou 220. He just got the quad this X-mas but has been riding motorcycles for 4 years. Connecticut is a terrible state for ATV'ers as they provide no-where to ride but want you to register your ATV so they can collect a fee. If you pay the fee you get a plate to put on yer ATV but its so you can "legally" cross the road from private land to private land and will not gain you access to any state land to ride on. I passed on the plates for both of us.

Now my neighbor has 30 acres of woods, swamps, and trails that he lets us use as much as we like and across the street is about 900 acres of state owned forest land that we ride sometimes. I know its not legal but being right across the road is to tempting. I just keep track of the hunting seasons and stay out of the state forest when the hunters are out. I try to teach my son respect for anyone out in the woods when we're riding and if we meet up with a hiker, mountain biker, or someone on a horse we slow or stop and let em pass by. I have'nt been yelled at by anyone in the woods yet.

Mike.....

Quad007.jpg

X-Mas2007026.jpg

TT

Nice machines, guys! I miss mine on occasion, but not bad enough to buy another one. My son keeps bugging me to get something for us to ride again (he had a blue 1983 ATC110 for a while but I took it from him for being BAD! :P ) and the DCNR is overseeing an ongoing project called "Rails to Trails" where they convert abandoned railroad beds into public walking/riding areas, so we would have a place to go.

http://www.gis.dcnr.state.pa.us/railtrails/

Hmmmmm.......... Wonder what they'd say if I showed up there to register a re-geared Wheel Horse with big knobby tires on the rear? :D

combatmp29r

Don't know Terry. I just sent a guy some picks of how the belts are routed on the REO so he could put his back togethor. Said he converted it into a hill climber :D

He's supossed to send me some pics.

TT

You'd definitely want a BIG weight on the front to go hill climbing with one of those machines! :D

Better yet, build one of THESE:

combatmp29r

Hmmm remember that discussion we had about slicks a twin cylinder and zommies? OK we're getting way off topic now, but Hmmmmmmm :D

TT

We should just start a new topic in the non tractor related area and we'll be safe. :D

combatmp29r

Ahhhh Yes Terrysan. good idea Grasshopper :D

chevelletown

This is the only quad we have, a little 70cc unit make by Wild Fire. Its fun to drive but I exceed the weight limit by about 120lbs :D can any one say bent axles? All I can do is watch the kids have fun!

WheelHorseset004.jpg

Rollerman

Ken thats how my son started out...had a 90CC setup.

He outgrew it though....his legs ran into the handlebars at about 11. :D

perry

yep i sure do miss the quad riding days. i had 2 honda 250r's, a warrior, and a few banshee's. lost most of the riding trails due to the house's being built in the area. i still have the raging mud pit out back but me and my buddys sold our quads . those things beat me up too bad anyways. now i just putts around on the'ol tractors.

T-Mo

As for riding areas, I have some woods I can go through. And there are a couple of dedicated areas near me that I can go. People here love their quads and I see trailer loads coming south out of St. Louis constantly headed in my direction to get to the designated areas. I even see some pretty big trailer loads being pulled by small cars (that's a disaster waiting to happen). Gotta love the city folks. :D

Rollerman

I have to add the other night I got my 1st real ride on the Orange KFX700.... :P

It reminded me of my old hopped up Banshee but a lot more civil & no shifting.

The KFX seems to be good merge of the utility & the sport quads...torque & an auto trans with no clutch stalls like a utility & excitement + speed like a sport quad.

Gonna have fun with this one at the dunes later this year. :D

T-Mo

Greg,

I like that little homemade Jeep. There was a guy over on MTF who made a scaled down Jeep also. It also turned out very nice. :D