oldhorse1

P220 Onan

oldhorse1

Had the intake port TIG'd to repair a chipped shoulder on the bottom of the valve seat bore in the block itself, as a result of the valve seat coming loose. Need to bore out the excess material and to accommodate the oversized seat I'm going to install. However, without spending some very tedious time, indicating off a pin in the valve guide, and sweeping the block on the cylinder end, I'm wondering if anyone has the spec on the angle at which the valve seat bore is from the cylinder end of the block. I could also square up on the end of the head end of the block, and sweep the face of the adjacent exhaust valve to determine the angle (closely), but would feel more comfortable if I had the spec on the angle, as the block was originally machined, simplifying the set up on the Bridgeport, and me being able to sleep better knowing I used the factory spec, insuring my angle alignment to the valve guide bore.

WHX??

:WRS:

@onanparts.com or @daveoman1966 Know a lot about Onan's so they may be able to help. Would be interesting to see some pics of what you are doing.

• Like 1

oldhorse1

I'll see what I can rustle up and get some pics, prior to machining, and uploaded for anyone interested. Like I said, the TIG work is done, just trying to nail down the angle specs, as the block was originally machined.

I don't recall ever coming across dimensions/spec angle for machining the valve seat bore in the block.

This is the second seat. Original seat pulled out at about 600 hours, before I installed a .010 over seat. I'm now prepping the block for a .062 over seat, with 1500 hours on the engine. So, I figure, if I got half as many more hours out of the first replacement seat, as I did with the original factory seat, might as well, put in another one. May be the last hoorah, and I'll get whatever it will give me.

Not a thing wrong with the rest of the engine, and I'd really like to mate the engine back on its original frame. I've owned the tractor from new, and just not ready to retire the engine yet, if I can get another 900 or so hours out of it.

oldhorse1

Thanks WHX14 on the contact/consult reference. I appreciate it.

WHX??

Your welcome Old Horse. This subject has been wrestled with many time before here. Most of us get turned off by the cost and start talking about a repower or motor swap of sorts. Sounds like you have a machinist under your wing tho.

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat: Boomer is the Onan Man.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Was it the rear cylinder that popped the seat?

KC9KAS

@oldhorse1 :WRS:

I have a great amount of admiration for a person that not only has machine shop equipment, BUT can use it properly too! :text-bravo:

• Like 1

oldhorse1

Yes, same rear cylinder seat, that I replaced at 600 hours with a .010 oversized seat. At that time, there was no casting damage, as there was this time, thus the reason for some TIG work, prior to boring the valve seat bore in the casting out to a .062 oversized seat.

Fortunately, I've got 20+ years of automotive and CNC machining on my resume, just limited on such equipment in my own shop. But do have a nearby neighbor who has as many years in the field, and who graciously provides access to his lathe, a nice old Bridgeport and some other craft and repair equipment ideal for my projects. And it gives us time to chat about what we've worked on in the past. 

I'd be grateful to talk with Boomer on this subject, or anyone who can point me towards machine drawings or specs for the seat bore angle on the block.

• Like 1

oldhorse1

Like I said in prior post, I don't mind doing it the long, old school way, sweeping an indicator across the adjacent exhaust valve to determine the approximate angle, or put a rod in the valve guide and trig out a perpendicular sweep from the rod, to the end of the cylinder head end of the block. I think that would get me in the ballpark, but a degree off, one way or the other could mean the difference of nailing it, or misalignment of the valve stem to the guide, and ultimately wasting time, money and the opportunity of salvaging an otherwise good engine.

I know a repower job is in the future, and I've got a whole other 520 chassis and running gear minus the engine to replace plenty other parts as needed. But as good as the rest of this engine is, I think I can squeeze another 800-1000 hours out of it.

No smoke, good compression (minus the missing valve seat right now), and uses less than a 1/2 qt. or oil during the entire season, with 1-1/2 acres of mowing, and mostly retired now from snow duties. I have thrown the old moldboard on the back the last couple of years to turn the garden over before running the tiller through it, just for the fun of it. And it tills up nicer.

Again, thanks to all who made the effort to drop suggestions my way. Greatly appreciate it.

ericj

I've had several valve seats replaced by NAPA in East York. They order in over sized valve seats and machine them down to fit the block. As far as I know they don't order genuine Onan seats, they order after market seats. They do also clean the block up as far as I know. I take the a stripped down short block. I don't know if you would call them if they would give you any info or not, might be worth a try. It's the NAPA in Industrial Highway in East York. Good luck

eric j 

• Like 2

oldhorse1

Thanks eric j, worth a shot.

oldhorse1

Thanks to all who have posted comments, thoughts and suggestions on this topic.

All tig weld done on the valve seat counter bore. Machining finished, seat installed, and finished putting the engine back in the 520 today. Sounds good as new.

Special thanks to Boomer for the detailed discussion about the couple of years of questionable casting material in the Onan's, and trading thoughts on my assumptions and calculations on coefficient values of the block and the steel seat.

Having replaced the same seat at 680 hours, with a .010 oversized seat, pressed at .004,  and now again at 1480 hours, I was looking for more resolve, with the intent to wear out the engine before I have to deal with another loose seat. With that, I went with a .007 press fit, and staked the casting around the seat, as a result of calculating the coefficients of both the aluminum block and the steel seat, with some assumption, and the green light from 35 year local master machinist.

As I assembled this thing though, I stewed over why Onan, or any engine designer, would blow air across the engine, across the exhaust port, and then across the intake, and then wrap sheet metal all around it. So in the process of assembling the sheet metal and shroud, I decided to experiment, and made a 1-3/4" hole in the top rear of the flywheel shroud, and the same in the side of the sheet metal shroud that covers the exhaust/intake and valve cover area on the back cylinder. I then acquired a piece of 1-1/2" i.d. flex tube (like you used to see coming off the heat shield on a '60's or 70's model car's exhaust manifold), up to the air snorkel on the air cleaner housing.

I connected the one end into the hole on the flywheel shroud, and the other end into the cover over the exhaust/intake and valve cover area of the rear cylinder, and sealed both ends. After I finished the rest of the assembly, fired it up and left it get to operating temp and then hit it with my heat temp gun. As suspected, the change in temp from the front to the rear cylinder was significant.

Temp checking the block, in the jug area where the intake seat would be, front cylinder = 204F-210F, rear cylinder = 170F-175F. Interestingly though, the intake runners right at the head were both about 220F-225F, which is understandable, given the exhaust pipe passes just above the intake runner.

Exhaust temp, was 325F, on the pipe just above the intake runner on the rear cylinder, which is in the immediate area I installed the 1-1/2" flex tube. The exhaust pipe on the front cylinder, just above the intake runner was ranging 350-355F. All temps taken at 3300 rpm.

I'm considering adding flex tube to the front end of the flywheel shroud, and sending a shot over to the top of the heat shield on the front cylinder (intake valve side). One last note of interest, when idled down to 1200 rpm, within two minutes, rear cylinder temp dropped to 150F-155F, front cylinder only dropped to 189F at best.

Throwing this out there, see if anyone has tried this on any 520's.

Pics attached.

Thanks again to all, look forward to further comments or hearing about your own experiments.

IMG_20180505_145718236.jpg

IMG_20180505_145647523.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

Just out of curiosity are you running a cut out  modified belt guard? 

oldhorse1

No. I have heard others modifying the belt guard. I'm considering having that area of the belt guard louvered, to allow improved air flow, rather than just cutting a section out. (too many grandkids around who like tractor rides and being around tractors) And looks better than just cutting a section of the guard out.

As promised in previous posts for those who had inquired prior to repairs being completed, here are some completion pics of seat    

repair, beginning with the Tig work done on the base of the counter bore which the loose seat chipped a piece out of the block out at the base of the counter bore. Then a shot of the .062 oversized seat installed and staked, and finally a shot with the valve installed.

IMG_20180501_183601997.jpg

IMG_20180501_183836117.jpg

IMG_20180502_194247595.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

Eventually will put some edging on the cut section and some hardware cloth or perforated metal for a guard. Then duct it into the cab for winter heat.

20161215_180951.jpg

• Excellent 1

Keith

some have installed a water mist system on air cooled motors that is directed at the cooling fan, not at the fins on the cylinder.  The water evaporates and cools the air.  This system  also helps an oil cooler to be more efficient.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/150982-water-vapor-cooled-911-rubbermaid-solution.html