ebinmaine

What do you all use as a handheld, movable, mobile shop lamp? Not ceiling lights.

ebinmaine

For at least 15 years I've been using an old fluorescent handheld shop light on the end of an extension cord reel. The kind that has a hook at the top and you can hang it on stuff while you're working under whatever...

The other day I had it plugged in and on and into it was plugged in my heat gun as I was doing some wiring on my C - 160.

I've put that heat gun and many many other things into that lamp cord Outlet many many times over the years. The other day it finally gave up the ghost so to speak and a couple of Sparks actually dripped out the bottom of the thing!

So of course I unplugged it and set it aside and now I need a new lamp assembly for areas that I can't see with natural sunlight or the ceiling lamps.

I'm definitely thinking LED. Super curious to know what you all use.

Not something any kind of expensive please. Hoping to spend less than 20 or $30.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine In the modern world you are looking for a flash light. Long tube with a lens , uses  batteries. :ROTF: I just use a drop light . HF has a battery operated light on magnetic swivel base, it maybe led for cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine In the modern world you are looking for a flash light. Long tube with a lens , uses  batteries. :ROTF: I just use a drop light . HF has a battery operated light on magnetic swivel base, it maybe led for cheap.

Oh boy Jim. I don't think so. We still use candles here in the Sticks.

HAHAHAHA 

Flashlight! Way Beyond my expertise!

Thank you sir. I'll check HF web site.

953 nut

I have a couple of those good old florescent hand held shop lights and have been pleased with them for years. With that said I will follow along because if something better is out there I would be interested.

• Like 2

midpack

i have one of the ones you wear on your head. nice little halogen light you can aim right where your looking.

of course I have the incandescent (rough service bulb) drop light for general lighting

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jerry77

I have one of these and it is really handy - hang it or use the magnet...very bright..well made..https://www.amazon.com/VIBELITE-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Magnetic-Orange/dp/B01LWLL047/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1522094420&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=led+work+light+rechargeable&psc=1

I use the url because I don't have a  camera phone..sry......:)    should have mentioned that I have the one that uses batteries...

Edited by Jerry77
clarification
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell

I have a flashlight from Harbor Freight that is awesome! I have one just like it that I bought a couple of years ago off the tool truck for more money than I am willing to admit in public and have loved it ever since!  

Harbor Freight came out with their version a few months ago and it is cheap! $30 normally and its on sale for $20. It is really better than the expensive one because you can change the battery and it came with a charger. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-worklight-63958.html

Randy

• Like 1

Crazy_Carl

How about taking that good ole florescent light apart, removing the melted wiring along with the outlet, carefully inspecting it, and soldering new connections in there and you're good to go again?

I use this: M18 Work Light

I have one at work, home, and on the truck.  It's the one flashlight that has never let me down.  I'm a Milwaukee fan so I have plenty of M18 batteries, tools, and chargers laying around.  If you have a cordless drill maybe you could find a worklight that uses that battery.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Shynon
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

Harbor Freight came out with their version a few months ago and it is cheap! $30 normally and its on sale for $20. It is really better than the expensive one because you can change the battery and it came with a charger. 

1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

I have one of these also, very strong magnet, head adjust to most any angle. Very bright

20180217_170713.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

pacer

I too have become quite pleased with the head band type and have accumulated 3 of them conveniently located around the shop (you know --- where I cant find a one) and then I've got the conventional drop light with the absolutely necessary rough service bulb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

dclarke

This is what I use most of the time.

DSC06968.JPG

DSC06969.JPG

• Like 2

Digger 66

I picked up one of those LED ones you wear like a head-band .

I love it and my corded work light has been in the same spot ever since .I could never get the "work lamp" to hang and shine where I really needed to see .

This  headlight thingy is foolproof ! 

• Like 2

rjg854

I also have the headband led light, mine happens to have 3 different light levels. Nice always having light where you're looking. I also have led lights that can be adjusted to point where you want to. They can either sit on the floor or hung up. Led is nice because it's bright but they don't get hot, like incandescent or halogen bulbs, and they are rugged and last a long time.  They are not all that expensive considering how long they last. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, midpack said:

i have one of the ones you wear on your head. nice little halogen light you can aim right where your looking.

of course I have the incandescent (rough service bulb) drop light for general lighting

2 hours ago, pacer said:

I too have become quite pleased with the head band type and have accumulated 3 of them conveniently located around the shop (you know --- where I cant find a one) and then I've got the conventional drop light with the absolutely necessary rough service bulb.

2 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

I love it and my corded work light has been in the same spot ever since .I could never get the "work lamp" to hang and shine where I really needed to see .

2 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I also have the headband led light,

Seems this is pretty popular !!

As some of you know, my honey and I are avid mountain hikers and are fully outfitted.... We have several of these headlamps.

Maybe there will be more added to the fleet.

Along with the magnet mount listed above by a few... @RandyLittrell, @Shynon

RandyLittrell

I would like to mention that I also use a 4 foot shop light that I mounted verticle to the floor on a stand. I just zip tied it to the pipe. It puts out a lot of light down low instead of everything overhead. That combined with my handheld LED light pretty much gets it done for me. 

Randy

• Like 2

squonk

Mike'sHorseBarn

I too agree with the headlamp option. I use this one. I have one in the shop and I also have one in my hunting backpack lol You'll never find a brighter headlamp!! It's great for tracking deer too lol

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coast-HL7-Adjustable-Head-Lamp-LED-Hinged-Bulls-Eye-Spot-Pattern-Beam/34801548

I do like that magnetic light from harbor freight though. Might have to check that out.

Mike

• Like 1

Goldnboy

I just use the Milwaukee M18 work light and lantern that came with my tool kits. Battery life is very good. Gives you another reason to but power tools!

• Like 2

6wheeler

For my flashlight? I use a Mini Maglight Pro LED. It is the best "flash light" I have ever had. Batteries last a long time in it. Trouble light is a Smart Electrician 6 light LED w/ outlet 18.4A max draw. And my  moveable flood light is a Smart Electrician  model 5001798. Both shop lights were bought at Menards for less than $30 each. The Maglight came from Fleet Farm for $27. All work very well. The only issue I have is with the trouble light as the cord is only 6' long. But outside of that? it works well. It can be hung up and also has a flat base so it can be stood up as well. 

ClassicTractorProfessor

Another vote for the LED headlamps...I own several of them. Two at the shop, one or two in each pickup, and also have one in my truck at work. Very handy and keeps your hands free for working

formariz

Also use a headband light but my favorite is the "stinger" flashlight. Nearly indestructible, lights up an object 1000 feet down the road, and I also use it as a flashing taillight with a magnet and a red lens adapter on fender of tractor when plowing. This thing is so strong in that mode that if you stare at it it will nearly give you a seizure.

IMG_1149.JPG.15e68b2faac0ba9c3ff0d05e328fdb4e.JPG

• Excellent 1

19richie66

I have 3 of those. They are awesome flashlights. I also have two of the smaller ones. Throw it in your pocket and you are good to go. Very bright for the size too but not cheap. Priceless when the lights go out. 👍

Sarge

Normally have this one nailed to my skull when working on most anything -

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hl60r-rechargeable-headlamp/

The thing runs forever on a full charge with the included 2600mah battery - if I put one of my 3500mah 18650's in it - runs far longer, most times well over 3-12hr days. I do not care for any Chinese products, but these are truly well built lights for the money and can equal or better Streamlight. Also have several of their 18650 platform flashlights, the things are crazy powerful and very reliable & rugged. Several of the guards at the local power plant switched to Fenix after they saw the performance of mine. Most times they are half the cost, too.

Sarge

ebinmaine

Well everyone,  here's what I ended up with.

As previously stated we are avid outdoor folk and as such have several headlamps on hand. We wear them for hours at a time hiking and camping and I'm totally comfortable with one on. ... almost. 

I thought they would be the perfect solution. 

Nope.

I usually Don't wear glasses around the campsite but almost Always wear them working on stuff around home. Thing is, they're reading glasses that I'm near constantly taking on and off so I can see 2 feet away but can't walk with them on.

I just couldn't get used to stuffing the glasses back behind the headband of the lamp...... Pita. 

I found this lamp in multiple places but the orange home improvement box was the cheapest. 

IT'S AWESOME  !!!!!!!

SUPER Bright.

Top hook holder and a magnet in the back. 

20180409_172021.jpg.83db7fab6117bbba3fdc08fb8dc793ff.jpg20180409_172030.jpg.220bfa6b3dad74cc83d6c742147d4a46.jpg

• Like 1