Sign in to follow this  
WHC-125

Transmission Problem

WHC-125

I was working on my B-80 today and this is what I found. The hub is even worse. I was wondering what I should do or is their a way to fix it? I was thinking about putting an 8 speed in it because I heard this was a common problem on the 4 speeds.

B-802-19-09.jpg

Docwheelhorse

You could----

1) Put in a new axle

2) Pull out the old axle and have a new keyway cut in it on the opposite side

3) Drill clear though the hub/axle and put a grade 8---5/16" or 3/8" bolt through the whole thing and run it---I will take a BIG beating for this suggestion. It would work and would last.

4) Weld up that keyway and then open it back up with a dremel tool or something similar.

5) Drill a second set screw hole (90 degrees away from the original) through the original hub and thread it. Then put in a fresh key in the damaged keyway and tighten the :whistle: out of the original set screw and then the new set screw and cross your fingers and hold onto your PP that it holds... :thumbs:

6) If you put in an 8 speed I believe the brake system will need modification as the control rod and brake drum etc... are different between the 4 and 8 speed.

Good Luck and I guess I would try #5 first and then #3 and wouldn't look back

Tony

WHC-125

Or I could weld the hub directly to the axle :thumbs: :whistle:

baerpath

I'd go with #6 Put a new key in the slot, JB weld to fill in whats missing, sand it down so the hub goes back on,(assuming it's not worn also) and I would also put another set screw in the hub for insurance. It's worked so far on a C120 hydro for two yrs

Duane

Teddy da Bear

I would not weld the hub to the axle....

But I thought Doc's suggestions were pretty good.

Only one he missed was done on another site.

Person put in a new key and clamped it down with

a C clamp and the surrounded it with JB weld in the

wollowed out area. Seems to have worked for that

person so far.

Now I would put a variation on this. I would put a

new key in "after" cleaning up the axle with a grinder or

file. Then build up the missing material with "weld"

from a welder. Then grind it again back into true

form. Key might be able to be removed....maybe not.

As long as it holds and you can get the hub over it...

That is all that matters.

Docwheelhorse

A cast iron hub does NOT weld to a steel axle very well..... :thumbs:

Yes I did it--but it was on a John Deere 110 POS that I didn't care AT ALL about :whistle:

I used a high amp stick welder but couldn't get the two differnt metals to cooperate.

Tony

kpinnc

Any decent machine shop will cut you a new keyway on the opposite side of the axle, and true the damage already done to yours for fairly cheap. Another hub with a decent keyway will run you about $15 max. You may pick one up for near nothing.

I paid $10 to have an axle fixed in this way, and it has never let me down. See that tractor in my avatar? It is the one with the fixed axle.

Good luck!

Kevin

WHC-125

I am going to have to split the case and take the axle out to have a new slot cut :thumbs:

Bill

Go with the welding it worked for me on a 4 speed.... hey if you can't weld it or duct tape it then it can't be fixed.. :thumbs:

WHC-125

Go with the welding it worked for me on a 4 speed.... hey if you can't weld it or duct tape it then it can't be fixed.. :thumbs:

Bill, it was nice seeing you again yesterday and I think I am going to get the C-160 Auto going and use parts from the B-80 :whistle:

Coadster32

I am going to have to split the case and take the axle out to have a new slot cut

If you are handy with a dremel tool, you could try to use a couple of reinforced cutoff wheels, and make a new slot 180 from the messed up one. I did this once and it worked out great. :thumbs:

WHC-125

If you are handy with a dremel tool, you could try to use a couple of reinforced cutoff wheels, and make a new slot 180 from the messed up one. I did this once and it worked out great. :whistle:

That would work? I thought the axle would be hardened or hard to do that with just a dremel? :thumbs:

TT

The axles are only hardened at the splined end.

If you can find a "real" machinist with the right milling machine, a new keyseat could be cut without ever removing the axle.

I've even seen the PTO ends on crankshafts turned down and keyed with the engine still together. :thumbs:

WHC-125

So where should I bring it, anywhere in particular :thumbs: ?

Coadster32

With no offence taken from anyone, I am a machine shop foreman for the last 12 years. Yes it is possible to take the transaxle off the tractor unassembled, and stick it on a machine table, and machine a new keyway into it. But lifting up a 1lb dremel tool without taking anything apart is a little bit easier. The radius of these cutoff wheels to the radius on the keyway is close enough. Home depot has what is needed. I'l be happy to help out, as I'm only a 20minute drive from you. :thumbs:

WHC-125

With no offence taken from anyone, I am a machine shop foreman for the last 12 years. Yes it is possible to take the transaxle off the tractor unassembled, and stick it on a machine table, and machine a new keyway into it. But lifting up a 1lb dremel tool without taking anything apart is a little bit easier. The radius of these cutoff wheels to the radius on the keyway is close enough. Home depot has what is needed. I'l be happy to help out, as I'm only a 20minute drive from you. :thumbs:

Chris I would really appreciate because I realy dont want to end up spending an arm and a leg to buy a replacement transmission or tear it apart and get in over my head :whistle:

• Like 1

Coadster32

Chris I would really appreciate because I realy dont want to end up spending an arm and a leg to buy a replacement transmission or tear it apart and get in over my head

Not a problem. Lucky for you, I don't work for body parts :thumbs: Anyway, I'd be interested in meeting a few RS members close to home. PM me with your contact info, and I'll give you a call. We'll set something up and git-r-done :whistle:

WHC-125

Bill, it was nice seeing you again yesterday and I think I am going to get the C-160 Auto going and use parts from the B-80 :whistle:

Now I think I am going to fix it after talking to Chris. And the C-160 will wait to get a motor dropped into it :whistle:

Bill

Now I think I am going to fix it after talking to Chris. And the C-1600 will wait to get a motor dropped into it :dunno:

So many projects and so little time.. :whistle:

Coadster32

So many projects and so little time.

Aint that the truth?!