still available from toro $44.00 each

pfrederi

You can get US made Heim bearings (same brand as WH used years ago)  $8.37

heim.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

ronhatch
11 hours ago, wallfish said:

Believe he's referring to these type. They're not tapered but roller bearings for the 3/4 spindle straight shaft x 1 3/8 OD

I wouldn't be comfortable using those roller bearings because they use the unhardened spindle as an inner race. I'll stick with a good quality sealed ball bearing. 

And just to beat a dead horse a little more ;-), I'll ask the question; Wouldn't a external snap ring be better then a "C" clip to hold the front wheel on?  I think so. 

• Like 1

tarcoleo

Edited by tarcoleo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tarcoleo

Previous post refers to discussion about these roller bearings.  Click away

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ronhatch

I agree. Cleaning and re-greasing on a regular PM schedule would be necessary with the roller bearings. Seals to keep the dirt out would be a big help too.

The best would be to exchange the rims with ones off a tractor (or whatever) that uses tapered roller bearing like my round fender JD or my B-10 AC has. I don't understand why my 4016 Case/Ingersoll only has ball bearings!  :-(  FYI; Ford always used Timken tapered roller bearings in their front wheels, even in their Model A's (Model t's?), while Chevy used cheap Bendex ball bearings all the way up to 1962. Chevy owners, in those days, needed to make sure their front wheel bearings were serviced regularly.  I learned the hard way, but I was just a kid. 

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
3 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

I agree. Cleaning and re-greasing on a regular PM schedule would be necessary with the roller bearings. Seals to keep the dirt out would be a big help too.

The best would be to exchange the rims with ones off a tractor (or whatever) that uses tapered roller bearing like my round fender JD or my B-10 AC has. FYI; Ford always used Timken tapered roller bearings in their front wheels, even in their Model A's (Model t's?), while Chevy used cheap Bendex ball bearings all the way up to 1962. Chevy owners, in those days, needed to make sure they're front wheels bearing were serviced regular. I learned the hard way, but II was just a kid. 

The 520H front wheels use the tapered roller bearings plus have a grease zerk for periodically regreasing as well as the rear dust/grease seal and front hub covers, Jeff.

IMAG3801.jpg

IMAG3802.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1