JoeM

How far will you go?

JoeM

I was reminiscing the other day with a WH friend about some of the trips we have taken to pick up Horses. It made me wonder how far some of us have traveled to buy a Wheel Horse. I am sure I have not went the farthest and would guess I would land in the middle of the road trip pack.

I picked up a 520 once in Indiana 5 1/2 hours one way. (that is probably my limit!).

Anybody else?

• Like 8

JimmyJam

8hours once for a WH that cost only $100 for a running Commando & I visited relivatives on the way back!  :D

• Like 8

SALTYWRIGHT

I went to Fla. for a 520-8.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Aldon

729.7 which would be 11.5 hours of not for 3-4 cities and rush hours. Turned it into 4 day round trip excursion.

• Like 8

dells68

About 400 miles has been my greatest.  Picked up Emory's 60 and 61 suburbans - 2 different trips a few months apart.  They were our first horses.  Probably some of best times we've had are on horse trips!

• Like 9

953 nut
2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I got you beat on this one

:bow-blue:        I knew that going into this!    :ROTF:            Perhaps a "Long Distance Domestic" category.    :ychain:  not a competition, just a conversation anyway, right.     :text-bravo:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Skipper

Yeah I know, it was unfair of me to flaunt that. :P

• Haha 7

stevasaurus

Skipper...I think what you did counts.  You did come over and pick up all those horses...not just have them shipped over to you.  You got to see what you were buying.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 6

squonk

I went about 250 round trip to buy what turned out to be a parts tractor C-160. The only piece I ended up keeping was the frame that I made a sulky out of but I finally sold that. :)

• Like 7

Skipper
28 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Skipper...I think what you did counts.  You did come over and pick up all those horses...not just have them shipped over to you.  You got to see what you were buying.  :occasion-xmas:

And you know what. I only have a big handful left to sort out still. Hopefully I will be done before grass season starts here in about 6-8 weeks. If I can do one a week I'll be on time, but oh my god it has been work work work. Next time will not have as many project tractors for sure. I'm dreaming GT's, re-wirering, painting and fixing all night, doing it for real all day after work, repeat........ Wife and kid says I speak horse when they get to see me.

Well I guess we live and learn the hard way, and just as we get old and smart enough not to get these brain farts, nature grants us diapers again...... Just swell that is!

According to this undertaking of mine, I clearly haven't gotten to the smart fase yet........... :occasion-partyblower:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

JPWH

Round trip for each tractor that I currently own.

#1 20 miles

#2 180 miles

#3 1520 miles

# 4 330 when I go pick it up

I think that works out to about 5 hours per mile for the builds.:think:

• Like 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

Did you walk to get parts or drive a truck or a :wh:  ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

chip61

My next door neighbor in Mathews picked up and brought me my first horse a few years ago-a 314-8. I got a basket case 416-H from him last year-just had to drag it across the field. I found 2 within 10 miles of home. Only one I got either not near home or Mathews was only 70 miles away.

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Did you walk to get parts or drive a truck or a :wh:  ?

Depended on the weather :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

20 years ago this month I bought my first :wh: (anniversary 520H)brand new as my dealer was my neighbor seperated by a creek and with the following pic you'll see how far I went to go it , and it's also where I picked up my second 520H as well as a non running 523Dxi (gone now) after moving about 125 miles away, anyways the blue outline was where used to live and use my 520H the red line how far I went to get it and service/parts after the sale, and yellow my dealer, Jeff. 

IMG-d0452733-aa99-4cd5-a5de-d11193c57b51.png

15 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Depended on the weather :laughing-rofl:

Uphill both ways in the snow I bet!!!

:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Uphill both ways in the snow I bet!!!

:ychain:

Here's a different view maybe that will clear up the mud...:think:

Screenshot_20180314-201824.png

• Like 5

CasualObserver

Not a tractor but I went about 1100 miles 18 hour round trip to go to the auction that I bought my 4-wheeled wagon at. That was quite a few years back... they weren`t nearly as plentiful as they are today.. or at least they didn`t seem so! 😉  I`d been actively looking for one for 3 years when I came across this one on an online sale bill.

7-2111.jpg

• Like 9

ericj

I drove over 1300 miles round trip to Scott Moreau in Michigan. It took about 27 1/2 hours. A friend and I took turns driving and rustled a couple of other horse to boot, and some other brand tractors for other people. Also brought home a custom tractor which then got delivered to VA.. I didn't drive that trip, rode with another friend to a show

eric j  

• Like 7

stevasaurus

@ericj  Scott Moreau  @smoreau is one of the best guys you will ever meet associated with this Forum.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1