oliver2-44

Cylinder Leak Down Tester

oliver2-44

I'm thinking about buying a Leak down tester. Looking online they range from $29 to $200+.  Harbor freight sells a Pittsburg brand one for $39. And several other companies sell that same looking one (Different names) for $29 to$49:  There is an OTC brand one for $&9 and $199.

So what do y'all use?  

Does anyone have the Harbor Freight one?  I'm a little skeptical l, but like the price for the little bit I will use it.   Of course if it's not accurate it a worthless .

classiccat

I use the OTC 5609.   the only complaint I have is with the hose itself... there's not much to "grab" when threading it into the plug hole.  

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

I have had one for a long time there is no marking on the instruction sheet as to brand and i forgot where I got it but I am sure ididn't pay over $100.   Each band Low moderate, high is about 30% so the actual reading isn't terribly important.  finding out where the air is going is what is most useful then you now you have a valve problem or a ring problem.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Thanks for the comments, hopefully a few more members will weigh in on this

WHX??

Couple of threads on this Oliie including on how to make one. Looked to be rather easy.... I'll see if I can find it or maybe @953 nut knows? Hold the phone found it!

Engine Leakdown Tester Build Your Own.pdf

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

Thanks @WHX14 that's the kind of info I was looking for

• Excellent 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Tinman1962
      By Tinman1962
      Recently got hold of a 656 it's has a "newer" 61/2 Briggs on it I don't believe that's right any ideas about that
    • Little Red Horse
      By Little Red Horse
      Hey all. I have a Electro 12 with a factory belly blade. It runs* and drives. I had used it to grade my driveway the last 6 yrs. Having moved I'm looking at my options on storing it or selling it. Frankly I have no idea what it is worth. I watched "ISaveTractors" video on 5 things to do with a new to you wheel horse/12hp kohler. (When i got it 6yrs ago) And went thru and did the adjustments and replaced the parts mentioned. It has been a good strong tractor for me until around July of this year. (2023)
      *Around July it started dying after running 20-30min. I replaced the carb (Chinese Amazon purchase) with one from isavetractors web site. That seemed to help it idle smoother(the old carbs jets wouldnt adjust), but it still dies at around 20-30min.
      So I've got 2 questions. 
      1. What is it worth? (As-Is) and
      2. What do I need to do to fix it? 
      Thanks yall!

• 850ford
      By 850ford
      I am looking for a replacement Kohler for a 1980 c165,it is cradle mounted.
      Will a standard mount Kohler work, if I remove the cradle?
       I am located in Massachusetts 
        Thanks
    • BrianStasC-101
      By BrianStasC-101
      Hello all. I am looking for suggestions on adapting the pto from my C series tractor to a harbor freight predator 420 13hp engine. I know the predator motors are a controversial topic however it is the route I have chosen for this particular machine. The intent was to mostly use it for plowing so no PTO required but it would be handy to have. Looking to hear from someone that has successfully done the swap that may offer any advice before I attempt to transfer it over. Just looking for any general pointers that will help me along the way to make it go as smoothly as possible. 
    • Tenday
      By Tenday
      Experts - help please. I’m new to Wheel Horse Tractor life! 

So - I’ve pulled out an inherited tractor and have decided to resurrect her. Unfortunately, no spark :/ 

I’m looking for help on diagnosing no spark. 

model - 417-8 
      engine - Kohler KT17

Done thus far:  (aware that some have no implication on spark.) 

- new ignition switch 
      - new battery 
      - new starter
      - new ignition coil and wires w/ plugs 
      - new condenser 
      - new points 
      - new starter solenoid 
      - bypassed all switches except oil and seat. 

notes:

idiot lights removed. 

All fuses tested with Ohms as well as visual inspection  .. 

coil tested w/ ohms as well

all switches bypassed except: 
      -oil switch  ( don’t think it has any implications other than a visual indication for idiot lights. ) 
      -seat switch 

ran a pos from batt direct to pos of coil - nothing; no spark. 

Electric is as follows:  

- Starter switch wired to solenoid
      - - solenoid to starter 
      - - solenoid to batt

- one wire from starter switch goes to engine ( I think this is for batt charge / flywheel) 

- I have two yellow wires, which are married up, that go to engine which have constant power; They power coil.  Comes from switch and seat. 

Help - what the heck am I missing ?