pgiro

D160 Onan Stator Question

pgiro

How can I test the health of the stator on a 1977 D160 with the Onan engine?

I suspect the stator is weak. How difficult is it to replace? Are new or rebuilt ones available?

thank you.

R. L. Addison

Always thought a stator was good or bad w/no in between. Am I going to learn something here?

gwest_ca

There is a section in this manual on how to check the charging system.

When you check the AC voltage run the engine at full throttle. 

When checking the DC output of any charging system a known good fully charged battery must be in the system to get accurate results. If you suspect a charging problem you likely discovered the fact with slow starter performance so a suitable battery replacement is required even if it is for testing purposes only.

This later service bulletin may help in the diagnosis

Let us know what you find.

Garry

RubyCon1
6 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

Always thought a stator was good or bad w/no in between. Am I going to learn something here?

If you consider the stator as a series of 18 individually wound coils (AC voltage sources), if one coil shorts out, you would be left with a reduced overall output

pgiro

So it turns out that the connection from the stator to the voltage regulator had come off. There  is a small plug with 2 wires coming from the stator.that plugs into the regulator. It was not easy to see that it was disconnected but the Charging & Ignition troubleshooting guide was very helpful in locating the problem. Seems to be charging normally now. No wonder I had to charge the battery after every use. The stator wasn't even connected.

Thanks to everyone for their help.