1940willys

C101 New to me Question?

1940willys

I own a C101,new to me as I said.  To start it I depress the clutch with my left foot while I turn and hold the key in the start position. There are times when I must raise my left clutch foot and sort of search out a position to get the starter to turn over and start the kohler. I think some where in the safety switch /clutch linkage something is loose or out of adjustment. I have not yet removed any sheet metal covers/ fenders. Perhaps someone here can direct me to where the problem  in the linkage/safety switch is. Some pictures would be great. Thanx, in advance!

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, 1940willys said:

I own a C101,new to me as I said.  To start it I depress the clutch with my left foot while I turn and hold the key in the start position. There are times when I must raise my left clutch foot and sort of search out a position to get the starter to turn over and start the kohler. I think some where in the safety switch /clutch linkage something is loose or out of adjustment. I have not yet removed any sheet metal covers/ fenders. Perhaps someone here can direct me to where the problem  in the linkage/safety switch is. Some pictures would be great. Thanx, in advance!

I have a B80 and C160. Both setups the same.

Clutch safety switch is behind the left foot pedal.

Sounds like yours is out of adjustment or bad contacts.

I can get pics but not til later.... others will help too.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Don't tell OSHA,but I've been known to make a jumper wire and connect the wires on that switch that EBINMAINE is referring to.I'm the only Horse rider here,so I'm careful and most times remember to have the tractor in neutral when I'm starting it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Pollack Pete said:

I'm the only Horse rider here,so I'm careful and most times remember to have the tractor in neutral when I'm starting it.

That holds true for me as well. Both of the wiring harnesses on my two tractors were garbage. When I rebuilt them, I didn't even use a clutch safety switch at all.

• Like 2

Rugerhound

I too have been known to install a "normally closed contact" on a permissive switch!  ;)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, ebinmaine said:

That holds true for me as well. Both of the wiring harnesses on my two tractors were garbage. When I rebuilt them, I didn't even use a clutch safety switch at all.

Right now my C-101 has a toggle in line from the battery to the coil + post.  Some day I'll redo that harness too.

• Like 1