Nick Anderson

Kholer k301s

Nick Anderson

I’ve recently had trouble with my kholer K301s model motor off of my Wheel Horse 1277. The only reason I know it’s a K301s model is from doing some research and I need to know what the specs are but my identification tag is completely worn out. Any ideas on what I can do to figure out how to identify it or get parts for it?

953 nut

:WRS:           The Spec number for your engine is 4712B presuming it is the engine that came with the tractor.

• Like 2

Nick Anderson
35 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:           The Spec number for your engine is 4712B presuming it is the engine that came with the tractor.

How did you find that?

953 nut

Looked it up on this list.

wheelhorseallyears.pdf

Achto

Fortunately, You don't really need the specific model number in order to get most of the parts that you need for your engine. As long as you know that it is a k301. Here are some links for rebuild kits.

First offers OEM as well as aftermarket kits. http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_rebuild_kits.htm

This kit provides a few extra items http://isavetractors.com/the-ultimate-engine-restoration-rebuild-kit-kohler-k301-12hp/

If you just need some repair parts, looking up k301 will most likely help you find what you need.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

To positively ID the engine, measure the bore.   K301= 3.375".    BTW, the  cylinder bore and crank must be accurately measured  BEFORE ordering  parts.

• Like 1

richmondred01

Like ed said measure the bore. Also the pto side may have embossed the block size. However, it’s not always 100% because some k241 actually have the k301 block.

also many don’t have anything embossed. 

At the end of the day measure the inside of the bore. That will give you a starting point. If you don’t have an inside mic or a telescopic gauge, I recommend you take it to a machine shop. 

Edited by richmondred01