diesel life

Deck finish

diesel life

Hey guys just wandering if anyone has ever had there deck powder coated?? Just got a deck and am sanding it down but thought that maybe powder coat would last longer than the paint. Any input is welcomed thanks in advance...

Duramax7man7

I'll tell you what might work really well from personal experience... This stuff is pretty durable and with a hi-gloss underneath the deck it should make for easy cleaning. 

I used plan ole Rustoleum 2X Orange on a Snowmobile hood this past fall and then covered it with some "Spray-Max 2K Hi-Gloss" 2 part epoxy... Turned out beautiful. 

It was really put to the test this winter. Albeit, by an unforeseen incident. I was heading up a berm and a sway bar link busted and I lost a bit of traction heading up over it and tipped the sled into a brush line with pricker bushes... I thought for sure that I would be repainting the hood again this summer. NOT A SCRATCH ON IT!!!! I was Blown away to say the least! 

The hood being composite, I used self etching primer and then let base coat dry for 8 days (Rustoleum says 5-7) and then scuffed up the base coat with some grey scuffing pad from Autozone. Then I hit the hood with 4 coats of this hi-gloss 2 part epoxy and let it dry for a week and then a month later this incident happened. 

It comes in Matte, Semi-Matte (Semi-Gloss) and Hi-Gloss formulas. 

20180107_233051.jpg

Check out the finish of this stuff without me even wet sanding or buffing it. 

20180107_233213.jpg

20180107_233131.jpg

So I would consider something like this or spray on truck bed liner.... Hitting sticks and rocks though will damage any paint job. Not sure if powder coating will hold up any better or not.  

• Like 1

WHNJ701

last couple decks I redid, I brushed gloss rustoleum on the underside and for the top/outer just automotive primer and paint to match the tractor, the high gloss on the underside makes nice easy cleanup 

20151107_154952.jpg

20151107_155016.jpg

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I hand brushed 2 coats of POR 15 on the bottom side of my 312 deck.  It has lasted 2 long Texas mowing season with so signs of wear. Nice slick coating

• Excellent 1

diesel life
10 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

I'll tell you what might work really well from personal experience... This stuff is pretty durable and with a hi-gloss underneath the deck it should make for easy cleaning. 

I used plan ole Rustoleum 2X Orange on a Snowmobile hood this past fall and then covered it with some "Spray-Max 2K Hi-Gloss" 2 part epoxy... Turned out beautiful. 

It was really put to the test this winter. Albeit, by an unforeseen incident. I was heading up a berm and a sway bar link busted and I lost a bit of traction heading up over it and tipped the sled into a brush line with pricker bushes... I thought for sure that I would be repainting the hood again this summer. NOT A SCRATCH ON IT!!!! I was Blown away to say the least! 

The hood being composite, I used self etching primer and then let base coat dry for 8 days (Rustoleum says 5-7) and then scuffed up the base coat with some grey scuffing pad from Autozone. Then I hit the hood with 4 coats of this hi-gloss 2 part epoxy and let it dry for a week and then a month later this incident happened. 

It comes in Matte, Semi-Matte (Semi-Gloss) and Hi-Gloss formulas. 

20180107_233051.jpg

Check out the finish of this stuff without me even wet sanding or buffing it. 

20180107_233213.jpg

20180107_233131.jpg

So I would consider something like this or spray on truck bed liner.... Hitting sticks and rocks though will damage any paint job. Not sure if powder coating will hold up any better or not.  

Wow man than stuff has held up real well even with your accident....

• Like 1

diesel life

Thanks for the feedback guys, i had thought about using por15 on the underside then priming and spraying the top with bedliner and then spraying the :wh: red and seeing how long that last... also guys what red color best matches the wheel horse red???

Edited by diesel life
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

I use Rustoleum Regal Red and Rustoleum Linen on the rims. Others will be along with a few other color choices. 

PS be cautious using the Tractor Supply "Majic" brand tractor equipment enamel.  Many of us find it dries very slid and doesn't get very hard

diesel life
6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I use Rustoleum Regal Red and Rustoleum Linen on the rims. Others will be along with a few other color choices. 

PS be cautious using the Tractor Supply "Majic" brand tractor equipment enamel.  Many of us find it dries very slid and doesn't get very hard

Thanks for the info, much appreciated 

don 76 wheel horse

Good info but i still cannot find color match for my wheel horse original part clovis hitch to the rest of tractor.. any one know of a farm equipment store that will match paint. don

Duramax7man7

If you are trying match faded or paint with patina on it, that's going to be hard... 

BOB ELLISON

Maybe NAPA can match it  if you have a spray gun. I used Regal red also, but others say IH Red is close also

Digger 66
On 3/5/2018 at 7:35 PM, jabelman said:

last couple decks I redid, I brushed gloss rustoleum on the underside and for the top/outer just automotive primer and paint to match the tractor, the high gloss on the underside makes nice easy cleanup 

20151107_154952.jpg

20151107_155016.jpg

If you can have a deck in your living room , I won't feel so bad when I bring my 4 wheeler clutch inside and scrub it in the laundry tubs ! 

WHNJ701
On 3/15/2018 at 5:58 PM, Digger 66 said:

If you can have a deck in your living room , I won't feel so bad when I bring my 4 wheeler clutch inside and scrub it in the laundry tubs ! 

yes I have one cool wife!

not the living room, I haven't tried yet. its the finished basement/kids play room

WHNJ701
On 3/15/2018 at 12:23 AM, don 76 wheel horse said:

Good info but i still cannot find color match for my wheel horse original part clovis hitch to the rest of tractor.. any one know of a farm equipment store that will match paint. don

that deck photo I posted is regal red