gmc5135

Need Help Identifying 60's Wheel Horse

gmc5135

I apologize for being the new guy, but I'm at a loss here... I'm a Speedex guy that is looking to take a dive into the dark side. I'm looking at my first Wheel Horse. The guy claims it is early 60's, which seems about right. He also believes it is the original engine. I'm not too sure of that. I took a look at it in person today, but I didn't really know what I was looking for. I have attached all of the pictures I have. It appears to have been restored at some point. The serial # is 62-9616. Does this mean it was built in '62? Where I'm lost is the engine. The tag on the engine says K141S Spec 29155D(either a D or 0). That model list that everyone refers to only lists a K141T for the 633. As seen in the picture, it's an electric start. Everything I've seen about the '62 or '63 tractors only shows a pull start. Can anyone please help me determine the model number, year, or if it might be the original engine? Thank you in advance.

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 4

gmc5135

More pictures...

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:            Looks like a 1962 model 552 to me. Here is a manual that may be helpful.

• Like 2

Chris G

Well its definitely a 1962 wheel horse. Weather it's a 502, 552 or 702 is in the air. Cause 502 had a 5.5 hp tecumseh recoil start and 552 had 5.5 hp tecumseh electric start and 702 had K161 7hp kohler electric start. So i dont think its a original motor. Also I would see if there's a model number decal under the paint on the belt guard. 

Edited by Chris G

Chris G

On a further look of your photos it looks like you got some 701 fenders on your tractor and possibly 701 belt guard. If your belt guard is smooth with no indentation for a model number decal, then it did come from a 1961 701. If you get a close up photo of the belt guard and the tool box that the fenders mount to, I can tell ya more. So it may just be a mix and match horse. But it still is a nice one!

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 2

953 nut
4 minutes ago, Chris G said:

may just be a mix and match horse. But it still is a nice one!

For sure there have been a few changes by previous owners.

• Like 2

gmc5135

Thank you guys for the help so far. It definitely gives me more information to research.

Chris - I'll see if the guy can get me a picture of that.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

ri702bill

GMC:

It looks like it started out as a 1962, but some items were changed. The 1961 had a straight handle shifter and no parking brake. Yours has the bent shifter to clear the optional HY2 Hydraulic pump, and has the cutout on the left side for the missing parking brake. Judging by the gas tank and the key switch with separate starter button, it is probably a 702. Different motor makes it "A Horse of a different Kohler".

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Racinbob

It's hard to tell but isn't that front axle the later style used in 63? Only the 603 retained the older style in 63.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The horse is, for sure, a 1962...the 4 digit (9616) number after 62- makes it that.  It started life as a 702 or a 552...not a 502.  Other then what the other guys are noticing...the front tires look original, but the 1962's came with the square pan seat...not the round one.  That horse looks to be in good shape.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 6

gmc5135

Thanks again for the great information guys. I'm going to hold off on that one for now in hopes of finding a complete original.