Dan693

Almost Burned Down the Neighborhood

Dan693

Threw a few boxes and some sticks from the yard in the fire pit to burn. No big deal right?.....big deal and almost started the neighborhood on fire.

My bad but left it unattended while I was doing some inside work.

Came out and a 60 foot circle was on fire and about to move into the neighbors fence.

Took 2 fire extinguishers to finally put it out. I was about 1 minute from calling the fire dept. Scary.

Feel free to learn from my dumbness......

20180226_144124.jpg

20180226_144101.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

SPINJIM

Glad you got it in time.   I use a 50 gallon drum with holes in the side around the bottom.  An even then, I won't walk away until the flames are below the rim.  It also creates a better draft for a clean burn.   We can't afford to piss off the neighbors by burning down their fence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

C-101plowerpower
19 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

Glad you got it in time.   I use a 50 gallon drum with holes in the side around the bottom.  An even then, I won't walk away until the flames are below the rim.  It also creates a better draft for a clean burn.   We can't afford to piss off the neighbors by burning down their fence.

i've been thinking about that, how about using a cone of fine stainless mesh as a spark arrestor on top of the drum?

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Here in Maine we can burn brush and slash almost all year. Unless there is a drought and the forest service has placed a grading of very high on the fire danger.

I will say that even the smallest towns such as where I live are absolutely adamant about never ever leaving the fire and always having hand tools such as flat shovel, metal rake, hay rake, Etc on hand.

• Like 1

cleat

Good idea to have a water hose pulled out, turned on and ready.

That has saved my butt a time or three.

My yard still has a thin layer of snow on it so fire not an issue right now.

Cleat

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, cleat said:

Good idea to have a water hose pulled out, turned on and ready.

I don't remember the exact rule and I don't want to misinform but I think here we Must have a charged hose on hand for All fires within 75 feet of a dwelling.

We had a ton O fun a couple years ago.

Had an 8 x 12 shed/turned to a pile of rubble.

Got permission to burn said pile. Snow all around it... Garden on hand and ready. Old wood was Much more dry than we knew.

Fire got HOT fast !!!!  

Hose broke !!!!

My honey went down to a local store and picked up another hose and we poured full strength on for a good couple hours before it calmed down a bit....

All within about 30 feet of the house.

An experience I'd rather NOT repeat.

Ed Kennell

It was about 30 years ago when I was burning trash in a barrel with an expanded wire lid.     The wind shifted and lit up the cut corn field 20 feet from the barrel.

I did some super human raking to create an effective fire break,   but it did burn about a quarter acre before I got it under control.    Now, I wait for damp conditions and keep a hose at hand.

JPWH

After I get a burn permit from the county. I normally burn when there is a light rain and I have a 3/4" hose, water on and ready and about 150' away from the house. 

• Like 1

squonk

No close calls because I live in a village, no burning. My wife wanted a fire pit. I got one for Mother's day. I bought some firewood from the convenience store around the corner. The store owner was a back door neighbor. We get a fire going one night. We have our living room window open and can hear our police scanner. The store owner called the cops complaining that someone was burning wood. It was us burning the wood we bought from him! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, squonk said:

No close calls because I live in a village, no burning. My wife wanted a fire pit. I got one for Mother's day. I bought some firewood from the convenience store around the corner. The store owner was a back door neighbor. We get a fire going one night. We have our living room window open and can hear our police scanner. The store owner called the cops complaining that someone was burning wood. It was us burning the wood we bought from him! :rolleyes:

So did you buy some more from him the next day?

:ychain:

• Haha 1

SPINJIM
7 hours ago, squonk said:

Or did you return the burnt wood to him the next day?

• Haha 2

squonk

I made him move away! :)

• Haha 1

Pullstart
15 hours ago, squonk said:

I don't think people can make this stuff up... so I have to believe it!  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

953 nut

In the early '70s I was a volunteer fireman in my home town. Our most frequently used fire vehicle was the brush fire truck. It had outrigger booms with nozzles on the front and rear end and a torrent nozzle on the roof. One man could have a brush fire contained in a mater of minutes.

Sad part is the fire underwriters wouldn't certify it as a piece of fire fighting apparatus so we had to pay for all the upkeep, fuel and insurance ourselves. We were usually successful in seeking a donation from the property owners but we always made a point of having a "real" pumper respond to the site even after the fire was out.

• Like 1