LRE

Rubber snowblower cutting edge

LRE

Has anyone tried the rubber cutting edge on their snowblower or pusher blade instead of the the hardened steel cutting edge? I’ve seen these advertised and just wondering if they really work and if the are worth the money? Do they have a longer life span?

WHX??

Lots of guys have. It probably does wear faster but that's why they are called wear bars. :) I would guess it helps prevent marks on expensive asphalt or paver driveways too. There should be a couple of threads here on doing this will have to find them. If I remember right a few of the fellas home made them out of belting rubber?

shallowwatersailor

I have used all three edges (steel, rubber, and UHMW) and each have their own qualities. The steel edge will mostly cut through ice, where the other two will float over the ice. The rubber edge (buy a 3' x 4' horse mat [economical] and cut a 4' x 3" x 1/2" strip from it) will act like a squeegee on the snow. The UHMW will need to have the edge chamfered to match the blade-to-surface angle to cut the snow, or just wait for it to be worn down to be more efficient.

My choice is the rubber edge for the various types of snow we get here in MD, which is mainly wet and good packing. It also works well on neighbors driveways with not leaving scratch marks so they don't complain!  :)

Tankman

Never tried a rubber or poly edge, all stone driveways.

I was given a 4 ft Craftsman blade, which I have no use for but an interesting rubber edge. :huh:

IMG_0645.JPG.60bd97e577a21bb10978ef43040fb5d6.JPG