Dave Roach

520-HC

Dave Roach

I'm new to the forum & new to the pulling  sene

i have a 520-HC & am thinking of trying to set it up to pull it. 

Has anybody ever tried pulling a Hydrostat before & if so how do they do? Planning on trying the "Grass Cutter" class first to see how it does. 

Any imput would be appreciated! 

Thanks! 

IMG_1827.JPG

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I'm sure the "puller" crowd will be along shortly with some advice.

Good group with lot's of knowledge!

I only pull kids in a wagon...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Roach
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I'm sure the "puller" crowd will be along shortly with some advice.

Good group with lot's of knowledge!

I only pull kids in a wagon...

Thank you! 

I have 7 grandkids so I know the enjoyment in that as well! 

Thank you for the welcome mat! 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:Dave.         I am not a puller, but I'm sure you will find the hydros are not the best for pulling.    The Eaton 1100 in your 520 is a great  hydro, but the fact  is all  hydros requires a significant amount of HP just to run the pump.  This is lost HP that never gets to the ground.     Due to the HP loss in the WH belt drive system, they are already at a disadvantage against the shaft drive tractors. It does require HP to squeeze the belt into the V pulleys and to pull it out of the Vs when it leaves the pulleys.

Someone recently posed the question of using a chain drive or cogged belt to eliminate this loss of power inherent in a V belt drive system.  I feel this would work well with the WH where the PTO would be used as the drive clutch.   I am kinda kicking myself for not using this drive system when I built my Low Rider Crazy Horse.   Guess I'm starting to ramble like @Sarge  .        :text-lol:              There, you have my two scents err sense err cents or however you spell it.

:confusion-confused:     I wonder.....when the penny is eliminated from our monetary system,   will we still be able to give our 2 cent opinions?

FYI,  this is a Crazy Horse

IMG_7084.JPG.5a7069331956b67b2aed327e20265e4c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Ed Kennell, what wheels did you use on the front of crazy horse? I'm trying to get some ideas for my 312-8 project, Jeff.

953 nut

:WRS:        I think you will find that nearly everyone uses a gear box rather than hydro for pulling.

Check out Brian Miller's site for some inspiration.       http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Ed Kennell, what wheels did you use on the front of crazy horse? I'm trying to get some ideas for my 312-8 project, Jeff.

Sorry Jeff, I have no idea what they are.    I picked the wheels and tires up at an auction for a couple bucks.    They are similar to wheel barrow wheels, but have ball bearings that I had to bush down to fit the 3/4" spindles.

• Thanks 1

Dave Roach
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:Dave.         I am not a puller, but I'm sure you will find the hydros are not the best for pulling.    The Eaton 1100 in your 520 is a great  hydro, but the fact  is all  hydros requires a significant amount of HP just to run the pump.  This is lost HP that never gets to the ground.     Due to the HP loss in the WH belt drive system, they are already at a disadvantage against the shaft drive tractors. It does require HP to squeeze the belt into the V pulleys and to pull it out of the Vs when it leaves the pulleys.

Someone recently posed the question of using a chain drive or cogged belt to eliminate this loss of power inherent in a V belt drive system.  I feel this would work well with the WH where the PTO would be used as the drive clutch.   I am kinda kicking myself for not using this drive system when I built my Low Rider Crazy Horse.   Guess I'm starting to ramble like @Sarge  .        :text-lol:              There, you have my two scents err sense err cents or however you spell it.

:confusion-confused:     I wonder.....when the penny is eliminated from our monetary system,   will we still be able to give our 2 cent opinions?

FYI,  this is a Crazy Horse

IMG_7084.JPG.5a7069331956b67b2aed327e20265e4c.JPG

Thank you Ed for the Welcome Mat! 

Yes i I read that post about the chain & cog drive & agree with whoever it was that commented you will loose traction before the V-belt will slip! I have a 857 that has been my little "Bulldozer" for years & that is what I have found over the years too. 

Wow! That Crazy Horse is Crazy! You drag race that thing? What kind of speeds do you run? 

Anyhow thanks for the reply & info! 

Dave Roach
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:        I think you will find that nearly everyone uses a gear box rather than hydro for pulling.

Check out Brian Miller's site for some inspiration.       http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

Thank you 953 nut for the Welcome Mat! 

Like i I said I'm new to this forum & pulling so I deeply appreciate this link you shared! 

Thanks again! 

Edited by Dave Roach
  • Thanks 1

fast88pu

Give it a try. Put wheel weights on the rear an hang a 60" deck under it for weight. Be sure to have a pulling hitch and also wheelie bars for safety. Stock hitch height will not pull. Been there done that lol

• Thanks 1

Dave Roach
2 hours ago, fast88pu said:

Give it a try. Put wheel weights on the rear an hang a 60" deck under it for weight. Be sure to have a pulling hitch and also wheelie bars for safety. Stock hitch height will not pull. Been there done that lol

Thanks @fast88pu

i have heard you need to put a stiffer spring on the bypass valve so when it gets in a hard pull it won’t try to bypass! 

As you can see it’s gonna take a little TLC just to get it running! But hey if ya don’t try you’ll never know right? 

Edited by Dave Roach

Notfishin

Dave if your going to pull that in grass cutter class , you have to leave the stock hitch on it ! 

• Thanks 1

fast88pu
21 minutes ago, Notfishin said:

Dave if your going to pull that in grass cutter class , you have to leave the stock hitch on it ! 

Here it is 10" height max

• Thanks 1

ol550

The 520 HC is geared for higher speed than the 520 H.  Just :twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1