Sarge

Favorite hand tools/brands

Sarge

I recently broke one of my oldest/favorite putty knives I've had for more than 40yrs - really pi$$ed me off. I've used this thing to scrape, cut and clean just about everything I've ever worked on. I think the blade just finally got weak from so much abuse over all these years. Been looking for a good honest built tool steel bladed wooden handled replacement - they pretty much don't exist in today's world of Chinese goods driven hardware stores around here, which is a high source of aggravation and anger. While hunting for a really specific glazing compound, I happened across a restoration supply site - Atlas Preservation, they carry a lot of old world, high quality hand tools made for working on old structures. Bingo - a whole page of US made, tool steel putty knives and scrapers - wow. 

https://atlaspreservation.com/collections/window-tools

I've always wanted a tool steel bent blade model, but haven't seen a decently made one in a lot of years - so I ordered up two of the Lamson maple handle models, I'm so excited waiting for them to show up ! I know, pretty pathetic, but I'm used to old school high-quality tools that have lasted as long as our tractors, and even far longer.

https://atlaspreservation.com/collections/sarco-putty-1/products/maple-bent-putty-knife

Hopefully, those blades will have that nice, tool steel ring to them and hold an edge as well as their shape - be nice for once not to remove the tops of my knuckles when scraping things clean....lol.

Sarge

• Like 1

"D"- Man

Sarge, prices are less than I expected.

Sarge

Amen - exactly what I thought, and US made goods to boot. I prefer a good quality tool, bought once and used for a lifetime, if possible. I have started to finally wear out a lot of my smaller hand tools after all these years - finding replacements of the same quality has been a real struggle. Some stuff today is better than it ever was, but that's rare because only technology has made it possible, not so much on craftsmanship/materials. Take most chisels, once you resharpen them the hardening is gone - they are not a truly forged and properly tempered piece of tool steel to start with. It's irritating to think that a lot of my grandfather's simple hand tools are made from better materials back then than what is available now - how in the world is that "progress"??

For the love of money - even Starrett has started selling Chinese made goods, just shoot me.

Sarge

Sarge

Scrapers showed up the other day, been fighting the Samsung to transfer the photo files to the pc - Media Transfer Protocol is messed up somehow, seems it happened during the last update. Imagine that, lol....

Nicely made blades and decent handles. Sanding could have been a lot better, but overall they are fine for the price.

5b3246e312c55_20180623_1823421.jpg.8c03c313be2ad0afac8d17443beeae4b.jpg

I should have gotten one of the wider models as well, but these are going to work great for what I use them for. Already ground a nice angle to sharpen the ends, steel ground as it should with no splitting or flaking as the imported junk ones will do so often. Took a DA sander and some 120 to the handles to finish them correctly - much better now. 

5b324d0f5a93a_20180626_0905411.jpg.63fee61e7c671478994308c6d92594e3.jpg

5b324d34af04f_20180626_0906481.jpg.56d3f1b31b78d96e3f68a206a8978339.jpg

I will say this - the maple used on that handle is some seriously hard wood, took a lot of work to profile it to match the tang correctly and remove the sharp edges.

For under $10 each, a very nice tool made in the USA.

Sarge

Sarge

I just went back on Atlas Preservation's web site and looked further into the Lamson tool line - I'm gonna go broke supporting this company,lol....

https://atlaspreservation.com/collections/lamson-tools

HD gasket scrapers, all kinds of stuff I've worn out over the years - thinking if nothing else they would be some great gifts for the son in law to build on his collection or replace ones I've just worn out. One old scraper I've had for probably 30yrs has long been missing it's label - pretty certain this is the exact one I have

https://atlaspreservation.com/collections/lamson-tools/products/maple-gasket-scraper-chisel-heavy-duty-1-5

That scraper is still going strong, probably a 1/4" shorter than original from all the resharpening over the years, but it's never let me down and the blade has held it's tempering very well. Mine is not stainless steel, but rather high carbon or tool steel but easily a favorite around here. The one that broke the blade was a narrow version that was 1" wide, which is what the angled blade 3/4" ones I bought were to replace. 

Sarge

dclarke
21 hours ago, Sarge said:

I just went back on Atlas Preservation's web site and looked further into the Lamson tool line - I'm gonna go broke supporting this company,lol....

https://atlaspreservation.com/collections/lamson-tools

HD gasket scrapers, all kinds of stuff I've worn out over the years - thinking if nothing else they would be some great gifts for the son in law to build on his collection or replace ones I've just worn out. One old scraper I've had for probably 30yrs has long been missing it's label - pretty certain this is the exact one I have

https://atlaspreservation.com/collections/lamson-tools/products/maple-gasket-scraper-chisel-heavy-duty-1-5

That scraper is still going strong, probably a 1/4" shorter than original from all the resharpening over the years, but it's never let me down and the blade has held it's tempering very well. Mine is not stainless steel, but rather high carbon or tool steel but easily a favorite around here. The one that broke the blade was a narrow version that was 1" wide, which is what the angled blade 3/4" ones I bought were to replace. 

Sarge

Thanks for the tip, Sarge. Been looking for a good putty knife for a while, I just ordered one. 

Sarge

The number of people at the hardware stores and auto parts stores muttering under their breath when looking at tools is growing quickly - I can certainly understand their aggravation and let them know exactly where to get what they want. I was pretty surprised at the low quality of all the putty knives lately that are available at the stores in my area, not getting better - but much worse. Even the contractor-driven lumber yard nearby has dropped nearly all the good quality tools they used to carry, which is really disappointing.

Sarge 

• Like 1

Sarge

I had mentioned earlier about how much I use/love the LaSquare combination square for doing metal/wood work. Very high precision, unlike off the shelf Stanley or whoever - plus, the wider 2" base allows you to transcribe a line all the way around an object, even if it has rounded corners. Structural steel tubing is a real pain in the butt due to those rounded corners - you'll pull your hair out trying to get a proper square reading since most have a thin base that will sit right on that rounded edge, which will not work at all.

Not a cheap tool - this is a precision combination square. I've checked mine with a high-end machinist's square - it's dead nuts accurate.

For our friends in the UK, and even a more detailed description of uses/accuracy - check this bloke out - accent might be a bit tough for some here in the US, but just watch....his tested @ .001" in 12" of length!

So, why did I bring this all up again when it was addressed earlier? I had hinted that Mr. LaGesse was going to introduce a new tool. It hasn't shown up yet, evidently, they are still working on it. I couldn't wait any longer, the work on the 3pt wrecker attachment needs to get done and there are some converging angles that must be accurate to keep it's strength and welding fitup tight. So, borrowing on Mr. LaGesse's invention/idea - I fixed the issues with the common sliding t-bevel tools that will not work on anything with a rounded edge accurately....

5b549df3e8990_20180721_1940441.jpg.8ae3968311d536ef3d2c71a02e0d9b32.jpg

5b549e37241db_20180721_1935531.jpg.7d45e713deb7f848ae7f80459404cafa.jpg

I welded flat stock 6061 T6 alloy to an existing sliding t-bevel gauge I had that would not do the job - then spent an entire afternoon filing/sanding it down to where it's back to parallel and straight. I have a plate of 3" thick aluminum that a buddy and I machined years ago to within .0001" of true flat for leveling work on carb adapter plates, small engine heads, ect. Once the tool was ground back to being correct - I spent an hour testing how it works. Total is only 1-3/8" thick, needs to be thicker as I added two pieces of 3/8" flat stock, should have used at least 1/2" or 3/4" stock, but it does the job quite well. The original shoe section is a cast aluminum or something that was clear anodized - made it tough to weld it correctly but it's solid and should work fine. Didn't have time to have it properly machined, but it works as intended and solved the issue of matching in some angles I was trying to figure out. Even if I had someone do a CAD drawing of what I want, the stock would still have to be marked to cut it - this is what the tool is made for. 

Since this one now has two billet plates welded to it - the thing is quite heavy. Need this built out of heat treated, high pressure cast aluminum and precision machined if it were to be produced. That would keep the accuracy across the straight edges, and make it a lot lighter overall.

5b54a0efa0a31_20180721_1937301.jpg.ce72a4c7891d1838e894a43375479a13.jpg

Now, we just need someone to get off their butt and produce them.

Sarge

20180721_193538[1].jpg

• Like 3

Uncle Buck

I am married to no particular brand of mechanic tools so my box is filled with some of everything, almost all of it USA made brands with a small amount of HF stuff that has found its way in as well. Probably 40-50 percent of my tools I bought used so many of them are older than I am. Of the remaining 50% I bought new, most of that was USA made Craftsman with a mix of brands on the remaining tools that are not Craftsman. Fortunately I bought most of my tools before Craftsman tools started going down the toilet about 10 years ago or so.

I have a wide range of pullers too, most of which are old, USA made, Proto, OTC, Snap-On, and Blackhawk. My precision measuring tools, mics, dial calipers etc. are Lufkin, Starrett, Brown & Sharp, Mitutoyo, and assorted others.

I am still not a fan of most import tools and probably never will be. I will almost always choose used USA tools over new cheaper import tools every time. I feel the same way about my machine tools. My machine tools are without exception machines from the 1960's and earlier, all made when I was a kid riding a bicycle. My floor jacks and hydraulic lifting equipment has also all been bought used. I have rebuilt my hydraulic stuff too. Yup, I like that stuff old and USA made too.

BTW: The best buy, and most overlooked screwdrivers available at modest cost today are the Williams hard handles, (copies of the old Snap-on screwdrivers) Like those sold in this link: https://www.amazon.com/Williams-100P-8MD-8-Piece-Premium-Screwdriver/dp/B002NH5F30 

Another overlooked choice would be these: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-158-8-Piece-Plus-Screwdriver/dp/B000NIGJMM

Not many Stanley brand tools I would buy these days, but the drivers in the link shown would be one of the few exceptions.

• Thanks 1

Sarge

Williams, like many others, has been quietly producing some very well made tools for a lot of years - they even make the elusive 8pt sockets in a whole set. No, not a typo - 8pt sockets are used for square headed plugs and bolts, and there are rare 8pt headed specialty bolts.

I've had the Williams screwdrivers - they are quite good but lack the steel quality of the Vessel and KTC made in Japan. Those two companies can beat even the best Swiss/German built drivers for fit quality and durability. I too prefer USA made tools over imported brands, but in some cases, there is a difference. I miss the old days of Craftsman - got a lot of their tools here and wish I had bought a few things when the writing was on the wall about their change to Chinese garbage. I hate how Amazon, Ebay default to Chinese junk when searching for a particular tool. A lot of excellent US built stuff is still out there, but you have to research and hunt it down these days to find it, not the way it should be but it's what we have to live with. I still keep my eyes open for garage sales and boxes of old tools - you can get some great scores for a few bucks on things that would have eaten a whole paycheck back when they were new.

Sarge

Tractorhead

@Sarge

what brand of WIG Welder you got? 

I am actually on finding process find a good but not to expensive one for me.

i don't use it that much, just for few things homemade, thats the reason i try to keep cost low.

Additional i have otherwise ability's, but to go there and weld, i must always wait a little longer for.

i like to weld Aluminum (4-5mm) and steel (6mm max.)

As far as i tested and found out, a welder with bit over 200Amps AC/DC should do the job.

therefore i also had a look on miller Dynasty 210, But this looks like a bit oversized - like with canons against fly..

Do you know this welder?

It shall be what i am looking for except the price - Or any better suggestions? 

I don't wanna buy chinese cheap crap, but it shall be inexpensive.

thanks for advice

Stefan

Sarge

I don't use a MIG welder, but I do have a MIller Dynasty 200DX AC/DC stick/tig welder. This is an industrial machine and they are quite expensive. In Germany, you may want to look at the Fronius offerings - they are a top quality brand and starting to come into the US more often. The whole thing is being able to weld aluminum - you'll need AC with high frequency options and it requires a lot more welding power than performing DC steel work. At  5mm, that will take 170-180 amps of welding current. Be careful buying a really cheap welder, some are ok but this is one thing you don't want to have to replace when you burn it up. The saying here is - "buy once, cry once". Fronius, Miller, AHP, Everlast are all good brands here, you'll have to research what is best for your location.

Sarge