Aaron64

520 H transmission filter question

Aaron64

I purchased a 1996 520H last spring and I am servicing for the first time. I have been searching forums and I have found that the NAPA or WIX 1410 filter should be correct for transmission fluid filter. When I compare the filter on the tractor now, it is a Onan 122-0800. That appears to be an engine oil filter. The NAPA 1410 is a larger diameter that the Onan filter. But the Onan filter looks like it belongs where it is. Am I safe to use the NAPA 1410?

WHX??

You got it Aaron on the 1410 hydro filter will work great. 

:WRS:

• Like 2

Aaron64

Many thanks. I’ll switch it out tomorrow. 

• Like 1

WHX??

No problem guy .. anymore problems or questions ask away.... lots of 520 experts here and be more than happy to advise. .BTW leave that filter a couple turns loose when filling to burp the unit. We all  use Mobile 1 synthetic  10 or 5w 30 oil  but any good quality of same weight will do.

Edited by WHX14

WVHillbilly520H

I prefer to use the factory Onan oil filters for the engine and the factory Toro hydro filter, but it's all in personal preference, 10w30 oil for both then there's no worries of topping off with the wrong grade, Jeff.

lynnmor
59 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I prefer to use the factory Onan oil filters for the engine and the factory Toro hydro filter, but it's all in personal preference,

I do prefer the same filters, the NAPA filters weigh less and the engine filter is not user friendly.  However the cost is getting out of hand.

• Like 1

squonk

I cut open a Toro trans filter. They are nothing to write home about. Stick with the Wix/Napa 1410. You at least get your money's worth

WVHillbilly520H
53 minutes ago, squonk said:

I cut open a Toro trans filter. They are nothing to write home about. Stick with the Wix/Napa 1410. You at least get your money's worth

Not that I have bothered to cut either open but some time back Duke @HorseFixer did a filter comparison and the TORO filter actually came out tops, and in my personal experiences with the NAPA/WIX filter my tractor was actually slower moving and hydro operation vs using the Toro filter using the same brand oil, Jeff.

squonk

The one I cut open looked like a junk Fram with a tin spring. Probably depends on which vendor built the filter at which time. They buy them contract to contract. Who's the vendor now? Who knows. You can't do much better than Wix filters. I have had no issues  with Wix filters for 10 years on 4 different tractors and will use them until I'm in the ground.

WHX??

I'm  with :hilarious:stupid 

2 hours ago, squonk said: