Xearl

Plow trouble

Xearl

While plowing today the spring popped off . I screwed it back on twice and the last time I had to go searching for it . I'm thinking of welding or brazing ,any thoughts ?  I think the ends are cast or steel .

cleat

Never had that problem.

You can't weld spring steel to cast.

You would not want to, the heat would take out the temper.

I don't see how anything could turn and unscrew, is the spring cracked or worn, cast ands worn ?

Maybe take a picture next time it happens.

• Like 3

Sarge

That is truly odd - the way they are made it should not be able to unscrew itself...?

Pics, yes..please.

Sarge

Xearl

PICTURES LATER . I DON'T THINK THEY UNSCREWED I THINK THEY PULLED OUT. 

Sarge

Just fyi - all caps is yelling on forums and other places - no offense. If they are simply pulling off , something is wrong.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kenneth R Cluley

I have had this issue before, It seems to me the "threads" on the casting get worn and allow the coils of spring to pull off. I took round file to casting to deepen the thread and improved the problem but i'm thinking casting will probably need to be replaced to solve problem.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

The World's Strongest Bond In the Shop

• Like 1

Sarge

I could see them getting worn if the blade was being tripped constantly - otherwise they shouldn't be a problem. Those castings could be built up and re-profiled by a welder...

Sarge

• Like 1

oldlineman

How about a hose clamp arounf the spring to hold it onto the casting

Xearl

I cleaned out the groves with my Dremel  and squeezed the top of the spring .  I had the idea of clamps so it's nice to see that someone else thought that clamps might work .

• Like 1

Tankman

Had this problem once. A 10 minute fix. Was a piece of cake.

End of spring, squeezed tight with a large water pump plier (Channel Lock pliers). Closed the spring just enough the screw the cast end tightly.

Needed to use two drift pins one on both ends to achieve the proper parallel alignment.

Screwed the cast piece back into the spring. As noted, don't weld; unrepairable troubles. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Xearl

PICTURES LATER . I DON'T THINK THEY UNSCREWED I THINK THEY PULLED OUT. 

20180219_094710.jpg

20180220_130312.jpg

20180220_132220.jpg

Sarge

I'd have to say those ends are about worn out - how long has it been doing this ? Spring steel is harder than the castings - how does the inside of the springs look ?

The clamp should help as well as tightening up the diameter of the springs on the last 3-4 coils - work your way around slowly and don't create any sharper bends than needed.

Sarge

• Like 1

Xearl

Post sent from my phone sometimes have caps but let me assure you I am not yelling . I can't imagine finding anything to yell about on this site . I thank everyone for their input which has helped me out on more than one occasion .

• Like 1

Sarge

Not sure why so many phones want to do that on forums, but it's odd how some do it by default.

I must say, seen some odd wear on certain parts - but that casting makes me wonder how it got worn down like that. Is the blade in decent shape as well as the frame, or all bent/tweaked ?

Sarge

• Like 1

cleat

Plow looks in good shape from what I can see in the pics but did it spend a lot of time outside ?

Have you plowed a lot of salty roads ?

Just wondering if the cast has corroded away.

Xearl

Cleat & Sarge , I bought the plow in 2001 and used it every year on my shale driveway which is about 250 ft . plus up by my mail box up by the road . I replaced the scraper about three times ,welded some small cracks where the blade mounts to the frame and straightened the blade itself two or three times . When I do these repairs I repaint .  I am not easy on the blade and leave it on the tractor year round since I bought the 523DXI . I have spread 10 wheeler loads of stone dust and top soil .  Salt is not involved in its use .

toro - plow fix.jpg

2 toros copy.jpg

Edited by Xearl
add content .

Sarge

The casting is somehow just worn out. I use my blades a lot, like grading out full semi trailer loads of rock and have never had one of those go that smooth. In fact, I rarely ever trip a blade for that matter. It could be just a soft casting and once it starts popping off like that it's accelerated to this point - I'd start hunting for a good pair of complete springs and ends to get away from the problem completely. Grading rock is really hard on these blades, they really aren't designed for it and neither is the tractor nor it's frame - you really risk breaking other things when moving rock but we all do it anyway. Just odd that this one wore out that bad and it's an unusual issue to see around here.

Sarge

• Like 2