classiccat

1981 Wheel Horse C85

classiccat

New member ...and another old-Iron guy here...with my 1st Wheel Horse tractor.

I was looking for something mainly for pulling an old aluminum boat (18' starcraft) around the property.

Capability to mow and haul yard waste would be a bonus.

2 weeks ago, a C85 showed-up on CL for a song. 

He couldn't start it for me and it didn't take me long to figure out why...

This will be a running thread / rolling-restoration as I bring her back to her original, Black-Hood glory!

(DISCLAIMER: I'm an engine-wrencher ...I have the tendency to leave my foot off of the project's gas when the engine starts drinking it!)

Edited by classiccat
  • Like 9

classiccat

Diving into the K181 Onion...  surprise around the 3:25 mark (dental pick in the intake should be a hint)

Edited by classiccat
  • Like 5

JoeM

Good deal cat!. C85 machines are awesome. That transmission is way over built for that engine.

That cracked seat pan can be replaced with a later model metal one.

Brian Miller sells a solid mount kit for repairing those worn out motor mounts.

Welcome to Red Square!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, classiccat said:

I was looking for something mainly for pulling an old aluminum boat (18' starcraft) around the property.

:WRS:             C-85 is very capable of that and a whole lot more.         :text-coolphotos:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:             C-85 is very capable of that and a whole lot more.         :text-coolphotos:

:text-yeahthat:   My B80 can pull rocks, logs, stumps, whole entire garden trailers full of various sedimentary aggregates, lots o' stuff!

@classiccat, Thanks for joining and taking us along for the ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Love the Black Hoods!!! :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

classiccat
4 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

Good deal cat!. C85 machines are awesome. That transmission is way over built for that engine.

That cracked seat pan can be replaced with a later model metal one.

Brian Miller sells a solid mount kit for repairing those worn out motor mounts.

Welcome to Red Square!

Thanks for the warm welcome OIL!

I'm not quite caught-up publishing the videos (editing part 3).

Here's a sneak-peak from yesterday (02/17/2018) after warming-up and draining the tranny.

f8Npkb4.jpg

I think it's a C161 living-on through this tractor.... and I'm not sure what machine donated the headlamp assy B)

• Like 3

JPWH

:WRS: :text-coolphotos:

• Thanks 1

classiccat
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:text-yeahthat:   My B80 can pull rocks, logs, stumps, whole entire garden trailers full of various sedimentary aggregates, lots o' stuff!

@classiccat, Thanks for joining and taking us along for the ride.

Thanks for the confirming my expectations Eric!  Man...you put your B80 to work!

2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Love the Black Hoods!!! :ph34r:

The black-hood models are the perfect fit for me; Nice mix of new & old IMHO... and the hi/lo tranny: Game Over!

The 300 series are truly awesome machines however they "look" too modern for my taste... Plus I really dig points ignitions (I know... I'm a little weird!).

• Like 2

classiccat

Week-2 update on my C85.

Once I cleared-away the coke, I discovered she has a 10-over piston in it...

EVRaGcd.jpg

reflected in the bore measurements:

Mbbcsio.jpg

dressed the head...I ran out of sandpaper before I could clear that last part...couldn't fit a feeler gauge in there so I think we're good:

OaDo8aJ.jpg

new head gasket lightly coated with permatex Cu spray:

- also lapped the valves and set the clearance

lqFxE0P.jpg

Installed the head with new Grade-8 bolts (doubled-up the grade-8 washers to keep the same thread-length as the original bolts/washers):

Zm8aUBL.jpg

Video Summary:

Part4 (cold start, a few laps up/down the driveway & a leakdown test!...coming soon

• Like 8

pfrederi

Based on the engine color this is not the original engine.  Your comment about the lack of a voltage regulator got me thinking.  You said you measured voltage from the stator.  Was their only one wire or were there two. The original engine would have had a 15 amp system.  There would have been two white wires from the stator and they should output at least 30 volts AC at speed.  That would go to the regulator and be changed to 14 volts +/- DC.  Now if this is replacement engine it may have the 3 amp unregulated charging system...only one wire from stator with a diode inline turning out 13-14v DC and would explain why the regulator was removed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I hope you don't mind me moving your thread, but I think it would better be served in this section.  :occasion-xmas:  It looks like it is going to be an excellent rebuild.  Great pictures.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I don't think you can beat a K 181.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Plot Thickens...30538 is a Service engine.  However Kohler parts shows it came with a 15 amp system.. Wonder if a stator was replaced if you have only one wire and no regulator??

• Confused 1

classiccat
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Based on the engine color this is not the original engine.  Your comment about the lack of a voltage regulator got me thinking.  You said you measured voltage from the stator.  Was their only one wire or were there two. The original engine would have had a 15 amp system.  There would have been two white wires from the stator and they should output at least 30 volts AC at speed.  That would go to the regulator and be changed to 14 volts +/- DC.  Now if this is replacement engine it may have the 3 amp unregulated charging system...only one wire from stator with a diode inline turning out 13-14v DC and would explain why the regulator was removed. 

Thanks for the comment Paul!  

It is definitely not the original engine (nor color).  "140"  SN puts it @ '84... the inside of the shroud is yellow...I'm guessin' it came from a cub?  the previous owner's son brushed silver paint on it. :)

I just went and double checked, I'm actually getting 14.25VAC between the 2 phases...each phase is just under 7VAC to ground...measured at full throttle (~3500 RPM).

I didn't realize I should be getting 2x that!  

when I pulled the flywheel, I found this (2 magnets were off... assume this lead to a few starter teeth busting off): 

wsvVEB4.jpg

I'm 95% sure I got the order right when I glued the magnets back-in (N-S-N + S-N-S + N-S-N etc.)... but I was watching Forged in Fire when I was JB-welding them back-in!   Guess I'm pullin' the flywheel again tonight!

8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I hope you don't mind me moving your thread, but I think it would better be served in this section.  :occasion-xmas:  It looks like it is going to be an excellent rebuild.  Great pictures.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I don't think you can beat a K 181.

Thanks Stevasaurus...not a problem!

• Like 2

classiccat
34 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Plot Thickens...30538 is a Service engine.  However Kohler parts shows it came with a 15 amp system.. Wonder if a stator was replaced if you have only one wire and no regulator??

I was the one that pulled the regulator after seeing it wasn't charging. ...Regulator output was -3VDC  :lol:

It is a 2-wire stator (I assume 2 phases...out of phase by 180-degrees)

• Like 1

classiccat

She's alive!!!

Listening to it on the headphones, she's running a little rich... I'll tune it up when I put the air cleaner back on (waiting on a gasket).

I shift into "wheelie gear" at the 5min mark.   Any tips on getting that clutch less "grabby" would be appreciated!

• Like 6

classiccat
1 hour ago, classiccat said:

Thanks for the comment Paul!  

It is definitely not the original engine (nor color).  "140"  SN puts it @ '84... the inside of the shroud is yellow...I'm guessin' it came from a cub?  the previous owner's son brushed silver paint on it. :)

I just went and double checked, I'm actually getting 14.25VAC between the 2 phases...each phase is just under 7VAC to ground...measured at full throttle (~3500 RPM).

I didn't realize I should be getting 2x that!  

when I pulled the flywheel, I found this (2 magnets were off... assume this lead to a few starter teeth busting off): 

wsvVEB4.jpg

I'm 95% sure I got the order right when I glued the magnets back-in (N-S-N + S-N-S + N-S-N etc.)... but I was watching Forged in Fire when I was JB-welding them back-in!   Guess I'm pullin' the flywheel again tonight!

Darn you Forged and Fire!  

I had the magnet order wrong!  

And some salt for the wound: I cracked one of them hammering them back-off.  :no:  (No emoticon for getting kicked in the junk...so this will have to do)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, classiccat said:

Darn you Forged and Fire!  

I had the magnet order wrong!  

And some salt for the wound: I cracked one of them hammering them back-off.  :no:  (No emoticon for getting kicked in the junk...so this will have to do)

:kbutt:pretty close though :laughing-rofl:...one step forward 5 back half the "fun" of this hobby, Jeff.

• Haha 4

classiccat
43 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

:kbutt:pretty close though :laughing-rofl:...one step forward 5 back half the "fun" of this hobby, Jeff.

That is close!  Don't know how I missed it!  

you're right.... one step forward and $29.95 backwards to be exact; This guy is making a killing selling pairs.  :kbutt:

• Like 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, classiccat said:

tips on getting that clutch less "grabby" would be appreciated!

:text-coolphotos:             Check the drive belt, a rubber belt will grab, fabric covered (Kevlar) works well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Excellent video and she is purring like a kitten.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

classiccat

A few quick updates:

Deck:

It's time to rid the previous owner's rotting lawn from my garage.

fjne3SX.jpg

This is the better of the 2 "baffles" (better word for these??).  The other side is completely eroded away.

sD7lyNE.jpg

WD40 Bath:

nxIc8LD.jpg

With that gone, good news 1st:

Spindles seem nice & tight!

Then the news you've probably come to expect with my thread:

This is before I really started poking around underneath (WD40 did a good job highlighting the pinholes):

XI9ckFp.jpg

It has more rot than I originally thought...mainly in the front section.

7ZaeTQ0.jpg

I descaled as much as I can by dragging / tapping around with a claw hammer...time to invest in a needle scaler and determine whether or not this repair is beyond my modest welding ability.

the vertical section left of the roller is swiss cheese...but I think there's enough meat there that I can patch.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider patching the flat/horizontal section with fiberglass/bondo after priming.

I'll try individually patching the holes and if I get alot of blow-outs, it may be time to get itchy. 

WHNJ701

the c85 is a great machine, I don't want to jump on your topic but I found one for my dad a few years ago, he didn't like his home depot special john deere, this c85 is all original  was a 1 owner, garaged and mowed a tiny town lot

2014-05-31_11-08-25_398.jpg

• Like 6

classiccat

There ya go fellas! I'm done restoring her.  Sorry it took me so long!   :ROTF:

2014-05-31_11-08-25_398.jpg

In all seriousness...sweet machine jabelman!  You found your Father a GEM!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

classiccat

Finally as promised... A video of the leakdown test.   Those air cleaner bolts did a # on the valve seat. 

Tight as a drum now! 

No worries... I intend on getting the seats recut when I do a full rebuild down the road.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2