wallfish

Interesting Chaisaw attachment

Jerry77

I really don't believe that I would have the nerve to use that.....whooa...:laughing-rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

jajiu

He must not have a shovel, or a back hoe.

• Haha 1

shallowwatersailor

Here is a Purpose-built trencher using a saw. The trouble is it is only for low-voltage wiring. Line voltage, according to the NEC, needs to be direct buried 24"  deep, 18" in a conduit, or 12" with a layer of concrete.

• Like 4

ztnoo

I didn't get a real good look at the cutters, but it almost looked like a hand held trencher, with fairly narrow width teeth.

That could be real handy in burying wires and cables in tight spaces and where short runs are needed, where a regular trencher either couldn't get into the site or space, or was way more machine than needed for the job.

As long as you could be reasonably assured there wasn't solid rubble or any live electric service buried in the path, doesn't seem like that big a deal to me to use.

5a85fd1de4795_dontknow.gif.de866b2a3eb1b9a61b61ec63e01096d1.gif

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am not sure I would want to use that. Looks like a easy way to loose a leg. Wonder what happens when you hit a big old rock or block of concrete ?:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

roadapples
52 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Wonder what happens when you hit a big old rock or block of concrete ?:twocents-02cents:

:text-yeahthat:Wouldn't use that at my place, way too Rocky...

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Easy way to make a flower garden

Sarge

I ran Ditch Witch and Vermeer vibratory plows for a lot of years as well as the trenchers - no way I'd try that with a handheld machine of any sort unless it has some sort of limiting clutch, without one that could hurt a lot. We found old car bumpers ('53 Buick) and various other things with those plow blades over the years and now and then some vintage glass would appear coming out at the top in one piece, oddly. The vibratory units were great, just a quick knife cut and the cable runs through a slot in the blade with a removable shoe - I could crab steer the plow back over the raised 1' portion on either side of the cut on the return pass and you couldn't hardly find the mark when we were done. We put in miles of CATV, electrical lines, conduit runs and phone on different contracts and traveled quite a lot across several states - finally got sick of being away and living in motels most of the time so I was out, had a wife and baby at home to look after. Those old Ditch Witches could be ran on their side as long as the blade stayed in the ground but it barrel roll one down an embankment when I hit a sand pocket - I got lucky by bailing and let the machine go early enough to get only some scratches - we had one guy killed in northern Iowa the last year I worked.

Nothing fun about hitting rocks with any type of soil cutting teeth - it can cause a 12,000lb machine to take off skyward and walk itself on the trencher bar if you didn't jump on the clutch fast enough. I would think those hand held units have to have some sort of safety clutch - maybe not...

Sarge

• Like 1

Jerry77
18 hours ago, ztnoo said:

doesn't seem like that big a deal to me to use.

Ok....you can take my turn....:ROTF:

• Haha 1

wallfish
4 hours ago, Sarge said:

barrel roll one down an embankment

I rolled a couple down some hills. We used to travel around building underground CATV plants. They were always rentals with insurance. Always hated doing trench work but running the pneumatic mole was kind of fun. Sometimes you never know where that thing could accidentally pop up.

• Like 1

953 nut

Looking at that thing makes me think of the Charles Darwin Award.

So how are the Darwin Awards actually determined?

Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way. They are self-selected examples of the dangers inherent in a lack of common sense, and all human races, cultures, and socioeconomic groups are eligible to compete.

Pullstart

Look'it all that PPE!

• Haha 1