formariz

Shop Stereos. What does everyone use?

formariz

Many of us myself included like to listen to music in our shops. I am curious as to what kind of gear everyone uses.

Starting it off, since I have been an audio buff all of my life and I don't get rid of anything, so I use some of my accumulated components from past years. I am a big fan of analogue audio so my systems always reflect that. I use two vintage receivers, a Mcintosh 1900 and a  tube HH Scott 340B. For speakers I use a pair of Dynaco's A25 which I switch back and forth between the two receivers. Since I am a big fan of vinyl I use again vintage turntables. A manual Pioneer PL71 and a full automatic Dual 1229Q. All my equipment is fully restored and updated. I also use a dedicated IPad to listen to downloaded music and a inexpensive small CD player. All can be switched at will between the two receivers. Everything is fit into one cabinet with intake and exhaust fans for ventilation. The Scott can actually be used as a room heater so it has its own supplementary ventilation.

IMG_1025.JPG.f5fc28bfbff9b81a35502cbdc538e8a8.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG.9c46badbf168cc0616911e8085ece014.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG.9cacf9d0496badf6c10702b1e71b2a66.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG.f2362b691dd2e0ba9aa3f61b446d5785.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG.67d26217ea65f8e478b8930bba19872c.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG.9be477260b0cd2ea4569440eff25f0aa.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG.0c138fe80bcfec528c11d644ba3d1ad2.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG.01dc3d1525ed02d58dc3776bb72600d7.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG.6922d5afb6c20e8f709d3057aac0de7b.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG.b692567e13311a3236739172b42c5147.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG.5f046873d61ad18bbea14ffb6818a5d1.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

I don't listen to music while working. Call me crazy but I find it annoying.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Aldon

:text-yeahthat:

ill listen to sports or talk but rarely music when wrenching on tractors. And rarely listen to anything.

But you have a nice set up formariz.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 4

tunahead72
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I don't listen to music while working. Call me crazy but I find it annoying.

I feel exactly the same way, while I'm working.  "Annoying" probably isn't the right word in my case, more like "distracting".

But I do appreciate a good sound system, so I'll be watching this thread all the way. :thumbs:

• Like 5

rjg854

Nothing fancy like that in the horse barn, just a regular radio, I usually always have music on.

• Like 3

JPWH

I can only get 2 radio stations so I have a radio / cd player. If the radio station wont tune in i throw in a cd. When I start hearing myself sing I'll restart the cd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

pfrederi

I listen to Pandora all the time through my laptop to a Denon receiver and Altec/Lansing speakers in the heated shop work space some old GE speakers in the unheated bays area.  Way to much dust and dirt to have Turntable ....My 4 Channel Kenwood receiver died a few years ago...probably from dust dirt...(and being 38 years old)

• Like 3

WHX??

I have an old POS thing rigged up that comes on when the bench lite comes on. Since reception is P poor in a steel clad building and I have a flat screen out there now hooked up to cable I often have that on a music channel or even a TV show just for background noise. Most often times better than hearing myself think! :D I also have a Milwaukee job site radio I can plug my phone into l& have lots of tunes on that.

BTW like your organizational skills Formariz... care to trade some of that for some I can't find anything skills?!?!?  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

edgro

Boom box bought at yard sale for $5. Comes on with garage lights

• Like 6

ACman

Built one similar in the early 2000’s all built of 3/4 plywood for the work van . We used old car stereo parts and a 110v to 12v converter from JC Whitney all mounted inside . The radio and speakers were recessed down in the box so the lid could shut. This radio was heavy but strong (we’d use it as a step to get into new construction homes) and could actually pull in a radio station in the basement. The Dewalt wouldn’t get reception without the help of apiece of copper pipe or 5’ S/drive cleat . It was the only radio that never broke unlike those “job site “ radios . Another good thing about this radio was it was way louder than the other trades so if we didn’t like what they were playing we’d just crank it up! :music-deathmetal: 

I built this radio couple years later for my personal use. The radio and speakers are Pioneer I bought at Wally World around Christmas time for $100 . Seems like they always have this combo around Christmas. I used a Rubbermaid tote with a hinged locking lid . For power I used a 12v male (cigarette lighter) end . I bought a 110v to 12v converter from a RV store that has the female end . This way I could use it pretty much anywhere as long as I had access to a 12v cigarette lighter or 110 outlet . 

0EA3C073-C5EC-4461-B62B-7798BA5ABAC7.jpeg.076f8b12607c60fc72ac83b512faa1a9.jpeg242E4887-86F7-4CC9-A661-C3F83874DB18.jpeg.ea2492694a6f17f89208fb625f382b05.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

squonk

I have an old Realistic receiver from 1990. Connected to that are 2 old detachable boom box speakers from a yard sale. I play XM through it.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

All I've got right now is just my phone with a Bluetooth speaker. I either pick out a station on Pandora or set it to shuffle through the over 350 songs I've got saved on my SD card. Someday would like to have a nice sound system in the shop, but for now what I have works well enough. I have to have music playing when I'm in the shop working on projects, some may find it to be a distraction, but for me the silence is far more distracting than the music. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 hours ago, WHX14 said:

... care to trade some of that for some I can't find anything skills?!?!?  :)

That's actually a pretty simple fix. 

I have 2 workshops, one it's own building and then the cellar.

If I can't  find what I want in one. ... buy it again !!!!!

:ROTF:

• Like 1

Sarge

I use an old Aiwa boom box in the shop most of the time - even has a cassette player in it as well as CD on top. Sounds ok for it's size. If I want to crank it up - the Bosch job site radio comes out (50 watt Canadian market) and use that. Can't really use anything of high value down there - far too much welding/grinding and metal work going on - not to mention the place is dusty as all get out. Someday I'd like to use the Yamaha receiver and either the Paradigm speakers or the nice Boston satellites I have but the dust would require an enclosure to protect the electronics - the Yamaha needs all of it's controls cleaned as it is now - I hate that. I almost always have the Bosch outside when I'm working on anything - got to have some Alice to be in the right mind set...lol.

Sarge

• Like 1

Shynon

I have an older Technics and a Sony 5 disc cd/DVD player and some 30 year old Technics speakers. A 42" vizio that play the latest from David Gilmour, (Pink Floyd) and yes I share with the neighbors.

20180217_134214.jpg

20180217_134610.jpg

20180217_134617.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Digger 66

I got a newer receiver a couple years ago and it's connected to a real crappy pair of speaker boxes which have modern 8" Jensen speakers and each box has a "horn" .

Sounds pretty good .

Looking to add Bluetooth so i can listen to the songs me & my buddy John have written and produced over the winter .

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I made a pretty decent Goodwill score this past weekend. 

2000 Fisher dvd/CD player for the outside workshop. 

Goes well with the late 90's Yamaha receiver head.

10 bucks and works great.

20180326_153129.jpg.ff4561b18bb7f5aeba991f487f137511.jpg20180326_153141.jpg.ccb46bea730aefe6eb6c90eabf6a5f4f.jpg

• Like 1

formariz

Good find. Been looking also fora good cassette player for the "tractor" shop. Have only a Pioneer receiver there. Need something to play the hundreds of cassettes I have in boxes.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, formariz said:

Good find. Been looking also fora good cassette player for the "tractor" shop. Have only a Pioneer receiver there. Need something to play the hundreds of cassettes I have in boxes.

Well. Here's the thing. I happen to have a cassette player that dates back 30 or 40 years. You know what I don't have? Cassettes.

Goldnboy

I just use a ryobi 18v radio its portable, i prefer not to be to sophisticated thus if it ever breaks from the numerous falls im only out $20.

formariz
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Well. Here's the thing. I happen to have a cassette player that dates back 30 or 40 years. You know what I don't have? Cassettes.

The funny thing is that cassette is a medium that I never liked so I never had a cassette player. A couple of years ago I was helping a good friend move ( he is about 15 years older than me) and he had two full boxes of cassettes ( I have well over 300) and a probably over 1000 single play 45"s (something else I never had). He was going to put them on the curb so I felt bad and kept them. It created total chaos here since I had no where to put these things. The cassettes are still in the boxes since I never owned a player, but the 45's I started listening to them. There are some real old gems in there. I had to devise the holder you see below to hold these things. I have 12 of these holders full of 45s.

image.png.baa4095b06ce74cfd03d40e16277e843.png

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

It's crazy how fads/technological advances go, I was all about magnetic media(cassettes) I have nearly 300 store bought, and then all the mix tapes, almost went DAT(Digital Audio Tape) just as CDs became the norm, from the late 80s till about 10 years ago I was all about the best car audio systems I could afford and stuff into regular cab S10s cassette head unit with 6-12 disc CD changer 1000 watts of amps 12-15" subs with component door/dash speakers (maybe why I'm going deaf or the no muffler CC original mowing), never really had a home system just my rolling ones, Jeff.

• Like 1

formariz
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

It's crazy how fads/technological advances go, I was all about magnetic media(cassettes) I have nearly 300 store bought, and then all the mix tapes, almost went DAT(Digital Audio Tape) just as CDs became the norm, from the late 80s till about 10 years ago I was all about the best car audio systems I could afford and stuff into regular cab S10s cassette head unit with 6-12 disc CD changer 1000 watts of amps 12-15" subs with component door/dash speakers (maybe why I'm going deaf or the no muffler CC original mowing), never really had a home system just my rolling ones, Jeff.

I am actually now thinking of replacing the radio in the new van with one that plays cassettes and CDs, so I can listen to all of these cassettes. Its funny on how something you wind up keeping so someone doesn't put it in the trash changes your thinking and alters everything else around it.

"D"- Man

I have a Monster power center, an Integra Pre-Pro, a Parasound 2205, a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck, a Bang & Olufsen 8002 turntable with a couple MMC-2 diamond cartridges, a Sony Blu-ray, Paradigm speakers a 1000 watt sub and some other components.

Edited by "D"- Man
  • Excellent 1

fast88pu
On February 17, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Shynon said:

I have an older Technics and a Sony 5 disc cd/DVD player and some 30 year old Technics speakers. A 42" vizio that play the latest from David Gilmour, (Pink Floyd) and yes I share with the neighbors.

20180217_134214.jpg

20180217_134610.jpg

20180217_134617.jpg

Good choice on music

• Thanks 1