Docwheelhorse

It only took 35 yrs to buy..... what would you fill it with

Docwheelhorse

Hello all,

After nearly 35 years of using buckets and what not-- I invested... I finally picked up a parts washer. Yep its Chinese... yep the bolts only kinda line up... yep the lid closes but not squarely. BUT... it was $99 delivered to the house and is gonna be real nice to have around. So, do I fill it with Kerosene? Diesel? Simple Green---dont like idea it will freeze.

Yes the wife let me bolt together in front of TV. 

Tony

20180211_164257.jpg

20180211_164232.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Digger 66

As long as you're doing it "by the book" , why not use a commercial parts cleaner made for parts cleaners ?

( I fill my cake pan with Kerosene though ) :D

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Docwheelhorse
2 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

As long as you're doing it "by the book" , why not use a commercial parts cleaner made for parts cleaners ?

Commercial cleaners are expensive and the water based ones freeze... im not sure if the solvent based ones freeze but they are nasty on hands and lungs. Kerosene / Diesel is what I think I will end up with. That and a set of elbow high rubber gloves. 

• Like 3

Aldon

I think it calls for water based only.....

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

What about this?

Screenshot_20180211-171847.png

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Hmmmm.... will have to see what that goes for.

ACman

Mineral spirits ? ..... that used to be cheap.

• Like 2

Aldon

The inter web seems to think PSC 1000 from tractor supply

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
15 minutes ago, Aldon said:

I think it calls for water based only.....

Yes check the pump. It may not be rated for anything flammable. 

Looks great with the wood floor. If you use diesel or kero, you HAVE to use it in the living room! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Docwheelhorse

That TSC solvent looks like it may do the trick... $42 for 5 gals... double the price of kero / diesel but I bet does a better job.

• Like 2

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Aldon said:

:text-yeahthat:       That is what is in mine and like it very well. Very low odor and not too hard on your hands.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005

image.png.825fc162a5c3ef8e7db4362e09d08655.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I have the Harbor Freight version for 20 year now,  Works OK  i use Gunk SC and Kerosene.  Get the hose with the brush on the end goes over the tip of the metal hose .. Nice to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunk-SC3-Super-Concentrate-Degreaser/dp/B000ABIDJE

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

My next door neighbor had a HF unit that we used Kerosene in and it worked fine. Our hands were so ugly anyway it did matter the were made worst . The brush was a great help. When he pass away his SIL got the unit. 

WHX??

No matter what you use you are gonna love having it. Mine is just a cheapy but had it for 10 years with no problems. When I first bought it I used a water based product and it sucked. Turned aluminum parts black if left in too long and didn't clean squat. Switched to this and never looked back. Yes about 40 for five but worth it. Will take the oil out of your hands so where gloves and  smells abit . I often use it for deodorant and after shave .... drives the tractor chicks  wild! :lol:

20180211_191534.jpg

Edited by WHX14
  • Haha 6

Shynon
2 hours ago, Aldon said:

:text-yeahthat:Just changed mine out 2 weeks ago from kerosene to PCS1000 it works great IMO, cleans way better that what I had and part will dry on its own. Using it in a Harbor Freight 20 gallon parts washer. I bought 10 gallons money well spent.

Edited by Shynon
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Ditto...Been using my cake pan, with the same old paint brush and tooth brush, for 30+ years..."pump" hasn't worn out yet since there isn't one... and BONUS!... it doubles as my dirty oil catch pan... gas works in a pinch as well...

I do use good gloves and ventilation...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

KC9KAS

I have a parts cleaner from SAFETY KLEEN, and it has their cleaning solvent it it.....150 solvent...All it is, is mineral spirits with a flash point of 150*F which is above the industry standard of 140*F for flammable liquid.

stevebo

If that is from harbor freight be careful. When you use the parts washer solvent they tell you to use it still ruins the pump. This happened to my brother and they must know it is an issue as th manufacturer replaced it when he called. 

Docwheelhorse

Hi stevebo,

Its not from harbor freight... but it might as well be.

I think im simply going to fill with kerosene... it works, is mild smelling and not hard on hands.

Plus its easy to get rid of with waste oil etc... when time comes.

Tony

• Like 1

Sarge

I've been using the solvent from TSC for quite a few years - same old batch still works great. The stuff does last a long time - depends on whether or not you keep the lid closed tightly or not . The thing generally ends up with a bunch of crap on it , typical of any flat surface in the shop - lol. My washer is the original one from TSC, had it for about 15yrs now - never an issue with the pump.

These things show up on CL a lot - folks seem to thing they are made of gold too...

Sarge

formariz

A few years back i bought an used one that pump was shot.Upon doing research on pumps and how to improve it, here is what I came up with, and it has worked flawlessly for years. I use Kerosene with a bit of water mixed in. I use a drum underneath it as the reservoir .Fluid drains to drum and its pumped back into it with a fuel submersible Little Giant pump. It is filtered on its way up to tank using an auto filter. When not in use after a while the heavier water helps push dirt and sediment to bottom where it stays. Pump is set above the water level in the kerosene. I can after a few days as needed shut the drain valve from the top tank and pump the clean kerosene into it. I then clean the bottom drum of the dirty water with all of the sludge, add another gallon of water and let the kerosene back down to normal re circulation. Drum has roughly 9 gallons of kerosene and one gallon of water. The fact that top container is continuously draining allows me to use entire tank for cleaning without item being submerged in fluid.Not having the pump in there also increases work space. I have now used the same kerosene for about 4 years with just a little replenishment once in a while.

Pump was a bit expensive but it is nearly indestructible with plenty of pressure. I can also adjust pressure by partially closing valve into the tank.IMG_1055.JPG.5ff2235f34826d58395d9c469d6eac19.JPGIMG_1058.JPG.f0180da6034a22e4a04ed248b262dbad.JPGIMG_1057.JPG.3b31c6d9404ff6ea2073e76413214c85.JPGIMG_1059.JPG.0f3d49b7aba45adfdb9d9a6e36e516ed.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG.d5731b4bcc2ee0bfae0af12e59f51a9e.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 3

pfrederi

Nice idea...how long does your filter last...I clean some nasty stuff....

formariz
23 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Sometimes they last a while and other times they are done with one cleaning. I am always looking for stuff and when I first set it up there was a guy on eBay selling literally a ton of these filters for peanuts, so I took the opportunity and bought them all. I think I have enough to last for the next 20 years.

953 nut
38 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I just slip an old sock over the pump, incredible how much it will pick up.

formariz

Since my pump is inside drum it would clog frequently and it would be very inconvenient to remove it from drum to clear it. This way I just shut valves and spin filter out. Pump itself is always clear.