Retired Wrencher

Points setting.

Retired Wrencher

Hi it has been a while since I put in a set of points in a K181. The engine rotates to right or back to the rear of the tractor? And do you guys still use a gaper of use a digital meter? Any info would help. Thanks.

pfrederi

Flywheels rotate clockwise.  Gapping worked for years...Light or meter is probably better.  but you have to be able to read eh marks on eh flywheel through the little hole.  I set mine with a feeler gauge if they don't seem to run well i mess around with the other method.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
38 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Flywheels rotate clockwise.  Gapping worked for years...Light or meter is probably better.  but you have to be able to read eh marks on eh flywheel through the little hole.  I set mine with a feeler gauge if they don't seem to run well i mess around with the other method.

I believe it is 0.20 ?

953 nut

If you don't have the little peep hole for timing the engine tins may need to be removed. On older engines the marks would probably need to be cleaned up to be seen.

Kohler static_timing.pdf5a80b02da37e6_Kohlerstatictiming.JPG.882095cc65534b9ad54f7d05c31ae81c.JPG

• Like 5

squonk

On the 60's K's at least on my old K301 the sight hole is on the back of the engine.5a80c3bb404e3_k002.JPG.022a912bb5a72b375c492aff2619225e.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daddy Don

It calls for .20 but sometimes I set mine at .19 and it seams to run better.

• Like 1

Steelspinner76

set initial gap with a feeler gauge then time with a light to fine tune. a lot of the old kohlers run a lot better dynamically timed than static time the gap setting was for a nice new motor with unworn parts and points plunger and cam. Most of em aren't

spring chickens anymore. look for the S mark before the T mark on the flywheel  s mark should be dead center of the sight hole when doing timing with the light.

tunahead72
10 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

I believe it is 0.20 ?

6 hours ago, Daddy Don said:

It calls for .20 but sometimes I set mine at .19 and it seams to run better.

Sorry to be a stickler for detail, but .020" or .019" or somewhere close to that is correct.  .20" will make it run real strange. :)

• Like 2

953 nut

The ignition points are used to set the timing so it is best to use the static timing method for proper operation, setting the points @ .020" is only a starting point. If you just use a feeler gauge your timing may be off resulting in poor performance.

Retired Wrencher

thanks every one for the info. Should be fun.

• Thanks 1