Vinylguy

HOW MANY MEMBERS ENJOY CAT FISHING

Vinylguy

Just wondering how many of our members enjoy cat-fishing.

My best friend (brother from another mother) was a Mississippi river catfish guide in New Boston Illinois

back in the 90's.

Fishing the river from Muscatine Iowa to Fort Madison

Also A top catfish tournament angler. 

I myself have never been much for cat fishing but an avid Bass angler. 

Always thought cat fishing was slow and boring. 

Little did I know that Gary ( Cowboy ) Schrock was more than just a guide on the river.

He also traveled the Country doing catfish seminars for Bass Pro Outdoor World and others.

I found an interesting article about the THE SCHROCK DRIFT RIG  authored by Doug Stange from In-Fisherman

So I am asking all avid Red Square Anglers to post here so Gary can prove me wrong on the popularity 

of catfish. I think most of us prefer Bass to Catfish? How about you ? Bass vs. Catfish

5a7e04ec6f4d0_bigcat.png.35a1139cc73ff0e6f10c54182c923f4d.png

• Like 5

Vinylguy
6 minutes ago, JPWH said:

I would much rather fish for catfish. I like bass fishing but not as much. I like to relax and take a nap when I fish.

Thanks Jay

Catfish 1

Bass     1

Share your big fish pics. Here's one of mine.

Buddy is not impressed. :lol:

5a7e0bca059bb_bigbass.png.8dab73c195f3c176c1c9c4d9cd782513.png

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 5

Achto

While I do enjoy the fight of a big flat head, cat fishing is a bit slow for me. I would much rather cast for Bass.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Well Terry.

I'm going to vote for bass. But I'm not sure my vote should be more than half value.

You see up here in Maine the growing season for fish is only about 5 months long so we just can't make em like you Southern folks do.

The type of catfish that you're referring to don't exist up in my neck of the woods. Around here they are called either bullheads or hornpout depending on who you are. Really don't get much bigger than about 15 or 17 in Long.

There are several lakes in my area that have a good strong upstanding population of largemouth bass. The Maine inland fisheries and wildlife department does not want them in there because they are trying to maintain trout Fisheries, not bass Fisheries, so they put a No Limit status on bass in those certain Lakes. That's the reason I prefer Bass.

• Like 2

Vinylguy
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

While I do enjoy the fight of a big flat head, cat fishing is a bit slow for me. I would much rather cast for Bass.

Thanks

Bass    2

Cats    1

1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Well Terry.

I'm going to vote for bass. But I'm not sure my vote should be more than half value.

You see up here in Maine the growing season for fish is only about 5 months long so we just can't make em like you Southern folks do.

The type of catfish that you're referring to don't exist up in my neck of the woods. Around here they are called either bullheads or hornpout depending on who you are. Really don't get much bigger than about 15 or 17 in Long.

There are several lakes in my area that have a good strong upstanding population of largemouth bass. The Maine inland fisheries and wildlife department does not want them in there because they are trying to maintain trout Fisheries, not bass Fisheries, so they put a No Limit status on bass in those certain Lakes. That's the reason I prefer Bass.

Well thats very interesting Eric.

We have a slot limit here on Bass to help keep the big bass population healthy

Return all bass 12 to 18 inch and only keep 1 over 18. 

I love bass fishing but after going to the river with Gary I understand his passion for hunting the giants

on the Mighty Miss.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

About 17 years I was all about night fishing from the shore for catfish even the little ones put up a healthy fight, it could be slow but NO sunburn, but one night after a good late spring rain storm thr ex and I headed out (was recovering from a hernia surgery) and from about 9:00 to 10:30 we had hooked and released 30+ cats( ranging from 10"-24" long) before we ran out of chicken livers, one of my uncles  that got me started is still into big time as he has several WV state citations for size/weight from an 11 acre resiovor, I hear there's some monsters in the James River here the state of VA don't know as I haven't made it to find out yet, but as my parents have aged, kids and job (life in general) just haven't found the time to for this hobby as of late, but with all my ramblings Catfish, Trout, then Bass for me, Jeff.

• Like 1

Vinylguy
Just now, 953 nut said:

On No, I misread the title, I thought you wanted to see cats fishin!     :ychain:

Related image                        :ROTF:

I just knew someone would do this but really thought it would be Craig AMCRules:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

We have a slot limit here on Bass to help keep the big bass population healthy

Return all bass 12 to 18 inch and only keep 1 over 18. 

We have rules that vary, body of water to body of water.

I'm lucky enough to live near a couple of those that the state does not want the bass population to overwhelm the trout population so they keep no limit on bass most of the year or all of the Year, depending on where you are.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
4 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

... thought it would be Craig AMCRules:ROTF:

CIMG0098.JPG.3449f85eed90bbb7ef585f80dc4434f3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ACman

Back in the day when I fished for fun it was for bass (purple worm , white stripe and triple weed less hooks) and they all got thrown back as we didn’t eat bass . Catfish, bullhead I just cut my line wasn’t even going to touch one :angry-nono: . Now if we’re talking keepers it’s walleye, perch, or a big mess of pan fish .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

shallowwatersailor

We used to catch an occasional catfish while out fishing for crappies in Wisconsin in the '60s. But I didn't start eating catfish until the '80s. One of my employees would pick it up on Fridays from a restaurant on the South Side of Chicago at at 79th and Vincennes. I enjoy it smothered with Hot Sauce! Now I order it anytime I find it on a menu.

• Like 5

Vinylguy
6 minutes ago, ACman said:

Back in the day when I fished for fun it was for bass (purple worm , white stripe and triple weed less hooks) and they all got thrown back as we didn’t eat bass . Catfish, bullhead I just cut my line wasn’t even going to touch one :angry-nono: . Now if we’re talking keepers it walleye, perch, or a big mess of pan fish .

Thanks Jeff

I am totally catch and release bass but pan-fish are the best for eating. nothing better in our area. favorite though is walleye shore lunch in Canada

I just posted a poll. Figured out how to do it all by myself. Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim

figured out how to do a poll.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

I like Nortern Pike fishing, also do some bass and walleye 

20150801_074907.jpg

20161125_173729.jpg

20160325_092814.jpg

• Like 6

Racinbob

I've gotta go with catfish. Florida has some mighty fine spec fishing and you can't beat a big mess of fried spec but catfish comes so close. :)

• Like 4

JoeM

That stringer of JP's got my mouth watering! Just love them fried in a hot skillet of butter!

For eating; #1 Channel Cat, #2 Walleye.

• Like 2

19richie66

Really whatever bites but bass are fun. Me and my daughter after a day on my brother in law’s boat. First time fishing in years. Had a great time with my daughter.

6010E74B-4C26-4407-8F88-348D5C8AF2AB.jpeg

• Like 7

stevasaurus

OK...put me down for catfish.  I need to digitize some of my photos to put them on here.  give me a couple of days.  :)  it will be worth the time to wait.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

WHX??

Alll fishermen are liars Dino except  and me and you and  sometimes I ain't sure about you! :lol::occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

tims tractors

Walleye, Channel cat, Flathead gotta love it !!!

• Like 2

Sarge

We are lucky in our area here, much like Terry - but the local areas of the Illinois river are still pretty polluted and we avoid it , the DNR doesn't recommend eating the fish so I'm not interested. We do have one really nice resource - the I&M canal system and that slow steady water breeds some huge cats - some State record sized at around 5 feet long and 60lbs. For the few times we do get out anymore, wife and I will keep 3-5lb sized cats - I cut them up and either deep fry or grill them, tasty stuff and I don't think we've ever eaten it out of any food joint - just doesn't make sense to us since it's widely available in our waters. I did one very large cat that was nearly 30lbs, man was thing one muddy, fatty tasting bugger and put me off keeping any of the large ones around here. 3-5lb seem to be the best flavor and the lighter speckled channel cats are the best versus the dark flat heads.

Don't get me wrong - bass is fun but I'm out there to relax, sit in the shade with a cold drink and enjoy the outdoors. A lot of buddies are avid fish nuts and own boats n stuff that cost more than most folks' homes - just not my thing. I'm there to catch dinner most times, or at least stock up the freezer on catfish chunks, lol.

Sarge

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred
20 hours ago, 953 nut said:

On No, I misread the title, I thought you wanted to see cats fishin!     :ychain:

Related image                        :ROTF:

I apoligise for Dick, BRF Influenced him LOL

• Haha 3

stevasaurus

Here are some old fish pictures.  :)

Coho salmon

IMG_20180210_0001.jpg

IMG_20180210_0002.jpg

Steelhead

IMG_20180210_0003.jpg

Couple of Brown Trout

IMG_20180210_0004.jpg