HoyBoy53

1992 520H Wiring

HoyBoy53

I recently purchased a second 520H. It's a 1192, my other is a 1988.

Developed a tranny problem on the 1988 and needed to get back to snowblowing ASAP here in Michigan.

The 1992 I bought doesn't have a safety switch under the seat and the lights don't work.

I can see two wires clipped under the hood, one green and one black. I didn't know if the wiring on the 88 and the 92 were the same, so before digging in and possibly making things worse I was trying to find a wiring diagram for the 92. Not had any luck finding a diagram so far in my internet searches. I see them for the 1988, and in fact there are two wiring diagrams in the owners manual that came with the 1988. Does anyone know if the wiring on these two machines are identical? Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the 1192?

WVHillbilly520H

The "Demystification Guide" right here on :rs:, in the manuals section, it covers every year/model download it and then find yours but I'm "thinking" '90-'97 were the same BTW here's the '95, Jeff.

IMAG3111.jpg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

As usual Garry to the rescue :thumbs:.

• Like 1

HoyBoy53

Thanks everybody. Since I was on here last I did figure out how to download 7 manuals from the toro website. I may have everything I need as far as manuals for now.

BTW - I fixed the no spark problem I had which was another reason to download the manuals. It was the Ignition module or "trigger" as I've heard them called. 

Not a fun, job but it's done.

• Excellent 1

cleat

I don't know why Onan did not make the hole in the flywheel shroud a little bigger so the flywheel would just pull out  after removing the plastic cover.

Would make the module replacement job much easier.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1

Witte

I realize this is an old thread but I’m hoping someone will have an answer. I have a 1992 520H and the wiring doesn’t quite match what the electrical drawings show. Mine also has a tag on the harness under the dash that’s labelled “Rev A” while the drawing for that year shows “Rev B.” I haven’t been very successful in finding drawings or manuals, probably due to my lack of patience but maybe the answer is there somewhere. 

lynnmor

Here is the owners manual with a wiring diagram.  More help can be found in the Demystification Guide.

If you are having a specific problem, explain it here.

Witte

Thank you lynnmor, for the rapid reply and the valuable information. I really appreciate your help. I’ve saved the files for any future reference as well as in my current project. To briefly describe what I’m working on, it’s a Wheel Horse/Toro 520H that I’m repowering with a Kubota diesel. The Onan was destroyed when I bought it and repowering it with a new Honda or Kohler was going to cost more than the tractor would ever be worth. I looked around for used engines and had no luck so I decided to try the Kubota that I already had. In hindsight an air cooled engine would be a much simpler plan but I’m way too far into it to go back now. I’ll try to get a few more photos and maybe post them once it’s all done. Thank you again for your help. 

Wayne0

I want to SEE that!

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Witte said:

. To briefly describe what I’m working on, it’s a Wheel Horse/Toro 520H that I’m repowering with a Kubota diesel. The Onan was destroyed when I bought it

Wow, that is a big project!

When you say the Onan was destroyed, can you explain the extent of damage?   Maybe used parts could have been found to repair it.  Yes, there are folks out there that can break an anvil.

Witte

I bought the 520H at an auction and suspected there would be significant work that would be needed but it came with a blade, snowblower, tiller, 2 mower decks and a spare rear hydrostatic drive so i figured the value was there. I had a look and the previous owner had torn the engine apart enough to know there were serious problems and then slapped it back together and sent it to the auction. It looks like it threw a connecting rod and wiped out the piston etc but the rest doesnt look too horrible. I tried to find parts but that appeared to be a really expensive proposition from the sources I tried. I'd need at least a piston/rod/rings assembly as well as gaskets and so on. Mine is the old style with holes cast in the rods so if I found the newer, solid type I’d have to change both. 
do you know of parts suppliers that might have Onan pieces like these? I’m in Canada so that can sometimes complicate things. They were a good engine but once Cummins bought them I think they lost interest in the small stuff in favour of the big industrial generators where the bigger money is. Ive also got a 24 hp Onan on a Woodmizer mill that I’m hoping lasts longer than I do. They seem to be good as long as you keep them from running hot. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

One source of Onan parts is onanparts.com, they do ship to Canada.