Deadguy

1973 8hp?

Deadguy

Would any of you think a 1973 8hp like this one is worth considering, or should I run?  It supposedly ran when parked in the summer. 

FCD7E177-F0E3-4CD8-A237-74B86DD823C5.jpeg

• Confused 3

Sparky

Which summer are they talking about?

If it was cheap enough I might buy it for the Kohler under the hood...but that's it.

• Like 4

Tankman

Prefer 12 hp Kohlers but, if the price is right, a project. :think:

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

If it was cheap enough I might buy it for the Kohler under the hood...but that's it.

Agreed.

If you can't hear/see it run/drive its  only worth the price of the known good parts.....

A hundred or two here in New England maybe.

Not sure where you're at...

Achto

As long as the engine was not stuck, I would go up to $150 for it. As long as it wasn't too far away.

• Like 3

953 nut

The first question you need to ask yourself is, "is this THE :wh: I want?"

You will spend as much money and time on this as any other :wh: and unless it fits your needs and desires it will be money down the drain. In my opinion if it has lots of good parts for a project you plan to do and isn't too far away it would probably be worth $ 100 being a non running unit.

If you buy it stop by the hardware store on the way home and get a case of PB Blaster, you'll need it.        :ychain:

• Like 5

Mike'sHorseBarn

I've always wanted one of those little 8's for some reason. I agree with the previous comment of which summer was it last running?? To me it is a $100 machine maybe $150 if you really want it. Just see if you can spin the engine by hand to see if it is stuck or if it has compression.

• Like 4

Deadguy
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

The first question you need to ask yourself is, "is this THE :wh: I want?"

You will spend as much money and time on this as any other :wh: and unless it fits your needs and desires it will be money down the drain. In my opinion if it has lots of good parts for a project you plan to do and isn't too far away it would probably be worth $ 100 being a non running unit.

If you buy it stop by the hardware store on the way home and get a case of PB Blaster, you'll need it.        :ychain:

Oh no!  I must have missed the memo that said we could only have one :wh:.  That being the case, who wants our other 13?

:ychain: But seriously, the asking price on this one is low.  I figure if the engine is runnable, I would just be using this one to mount the electric crane attachment I have for lifting heavy objects.  It was going to go a Charger 10 roller that I have laying around, but I figured this might be better, since it already has an engine.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

I would say 125 tops. Maybe 150 if the motor turns & has even a little compression AND the transmission is free but that's even a BIG maybe. Does have a nice patina tho!  Good luck & keep us posted.

JoeM

If they want more than you will pay, ask them to throw in something like one of those old decks as a "kicker"!

I've already got my money back on a couple old machines by parting the decks.

That is a pretty neat old machine. First one I have seen.

12 hp Kohler

I’d say if the kohler is free and the trans is free it’d be worth $100. The kohler 8hp are great little engines if they have good compression. Looks to me that isn’t the only wheel horse the seller has I see 2 decks and a snow blower in the back ground also the corner of a newer wheel horse hood in the bottom left of the picture. 

Maybe try to do a bundle deal 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:think:  Definitely appears to be sitting for more than one season. 

12 hp Kohler

:text-yeahthat: or it’s sitting in a grove of maple trees so in the fall it gets dumped with leaves. That would explain why it’s buried but it still looks like it’s been outside for a while for more than one summer. 

Deadguy
20 minutes ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

:text-yeahthat: or it’s sitting in a grove of maple trees so in the fall it gets dumped with leaves. That would explain why it’s buried but it still looks like it’s been outside for a while for more than one summer. 

Agreed.  There are plenty of areas on my property that get more than a foot of leaves in the fall.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

If it were me I already have a B80 so it would be good for extra parts. But to recondition it, I've already went that route and I can say for sure. That's going to be a labor of love if I did it again.  $100.00 tops for me.

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Deadguy said:

I must have missed the memo that said we could only have one :wh:.

I would never say you can only have one, Lord only knows I am a major accumulator myself.    :ychain:  I figured you were looking for a restoration project.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: I was referring to the green algae, moss, or whatever that is growing on it...

typically takes longer than one season to accrue. :confusion-shrug: Especially that amount of it. 

• Like 1

Deadguy
13 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: I was referring to the green algae, moss, or whatever that is growing on it...

typically takes longer than one season to accrue. :confusion-shrug: Especially that amount of it. 

Oh that.... 

1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

If it were me I already have a B80 so it would be good for extra parts. But to recondition it, I've already went that route and I can say for sure. That's going to be a labor of love if I did it again.  $100.00 tops for me.

It’s a labor of love alright!  We have somewhere around 13 in various stages of reconditioning right now....

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
16 hours ago, Deadguy said:

I must have missed the memo that said we could only have one :wh:.  

It starts with one and quickly gets to 20! :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Deadguy
48 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

It starts with one and quickly gets to 20! :ROTF:

You aren’t kidding!  A total of 15 have followed us home in just the last year and a half!!!  

16 hours ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

I’d say if the kohler is free and the trans is free it’d be worth $100. The kohler 8hp are great little engines if they have good compression. Looks to me that isn’t the only wheel horse the seller has I see 2 decks and a snow blower in the back ground also the corner of a newer wheel horse hood in the bottom left of the picture. 

Maybe try to do a bundle deal 

The seller just told me that he has “a bunch” of other :wh: that he will be looking to sell.  We might be looking at a “honey hole” situation here...

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
6 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

We might be looking at a “honey hole” situation here...

We want in!...take your camera!!

Take Dan @Achto with ya when you go to look ....he's my wallet man anyway!! :laughing-rolling:

Edited by WHX14
  • Haha 2

Achto
30 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

he's my wallet man anyway!! :laughing-rolling:

Right!! "The International Bank of Achto"  with ultra limited funding.:ROTF:

Deadguy

Oh no... the seller tells me he has been collecting since 1983.  We may be in over our heads here....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bert

My dad has a 8 4speed that’s had a few changes made over the years. It’s a  

:wh: family favorite. I’d already have that one home if I found it first. They’re just as good as the popular B 80 but D023A765-4D94-4D64-BB56-A53AC580CF41.jpeg.c3b9c3f27bb74b3abcb1d8509df21a03.jpegare a bit shorter and use smaller wheels. 

Pops has a 8 pinion 8 speed and larger tires swapped over because the original trans was loud and it already had 8 inch rims when he got it. 

• Like 3

Sarge

That's the best secret about the shorter framed 8hp tractors built prior to '74 - the heavier drive parts bolt right up and they are also easily converted to the later style attachment system. I'd love to find an 877 and use the later C series rear axle/pump with the piston-to-piston updated pump. Those are bulletproof and reliable, stuff a 12-16hp engine in it and weight it down - ultimate mower/snow/dirt machine with a pretty stout frame since it's shorter. Update the lights and few other things it would awful tough to beat but would have limits due to wheel base, but that's the bonus of it - far better maneuverability . Don't get me wrong, I love the big D's, but even with mods to shorten it's turn radius the thing takes half the property to do a 3 point turn...lol. Honestly though, the little small block Kohler 8hp engine is totally underrated and overlooked. I had a decent 855 and should have kept it - had the nice 7-slot grill that I like too...ugh.

Sarge

• Like 3