jellyghost

Best Salt Spreader?

jellyghost

I live in a residential neighborhood on a hill.  There were multiple ice related accidents this year (the days I didn't plow the street).  I would like to tow a salt spreader while plowing.  Any suggestions?  What is the best spreader?

Is there a good spreader that has an on-off reachable from the seat?

Sarge

It wouldn't be too tough to build one - I would try to use a poly towable HD trailer, you could set it up with a motor/slinger/door all remotely controlled from off the tongue (think - hd seed spreaders). Trailer would be a good idea - keep that corrosive crap away from the Horse - they are allergic to it .

Sarge

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I've had no luck with several that drive off the wheels.  Not enough traction.  I may look into adding fine link chains or different tires with studs.  Otherwise a 12v system. 

C-85

It would be great if someone made a small spreader that could spread sand and salt. 

All the ones I've seen say they can only spread salt and fertilizers. :(

It would seem that a lot of folks would like a small spreader that can spread a sand/salt mix that wouldn't break the bank!

All this would take would be a better agitator or a vibrator to loosen the clumped up sand in the hopper :).

C-85

Tankman

I haven't used a spreader, a tow spreader, yet.

I do use a push spreader but found this Precision spreader on Craig's List ($25, I talked the old timer down) a month ago. Seems sturdy enough but we'll see.

With the spreader's screen appears decent enough to break lumps. 

I do intend to spread sand or salt. I'll find out soon enough.

http://precisionprodinc.com/details.php?model=TBS7000RD

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Tankman said:

found this Precision spreader

Looks like it would do the job... but may need the help of chains as @DennisThornton brought up.

Please keep us posted.

I could use one here occasionally.

Tankman
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like it would do the job... but may need the help of chains as @DennisThornton brought up.

Please keep us posted.

I could use one here occasionally.

My use would be occasional also.

I intend to use the spreader mainly for sand (gypsum is a better) as a soil conditioner on the grasses. Earth swallows the sand improving drainage and eliminates compaction.

Will also be used for pelletized lime on the lawn areas.

For the price, "Why not own this spreader?"  The seller was moving, no longer needed the spreader; retirement community.

If I take the spreader out for salt, I'm going to keep Dennis' thoughts in mind. Perhaps small snow blower chains (?). :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Sarge

That does look like it would work - a fella could make a stand off the tongue and set up a couple remote cables to control it or a linear actuator to move the flow door to control on/off/flow rates. A 12vdc gear motor, wiper motor or similar could drive the impeller too. With a radio remote, control solenoids/box it could even be wireless other than a pair of power cables off the tractor or even use it's own battery . If it's heavy enough , most gear drive types will rotate pretty well as long as material can't build up weight on the slinger blade - or the chain idea would work great as well. Those smaller snow blower chains are fairly cheap and would help in damp grass in the summer as well without hurting the lawn - better to force the wheels to spin versus dragging the turf tires on the grass - my leaf sweeper has that issue at times and I've considered making a mini set of chains for it.

At places like this -

https://www.tirechain.com/Tire-Chains-Pliers.htm

They carry the pliers for working on the links to open and close different type of tire chains - I have a pair of the medium ones and they work pretty well, nice when you wear out the main cross chains from heavy use and pavement . Keep your eyes open - the twist link main chains used on most tire chains can show up on clearance in rolls at some stores - I picked up rolls of two sizes to repair/build my own, almost through the one size already just in repairs but I run mine year round.

Sarge