19richie66

Gt14 cigarette lighter/ ignition switch question

19richie66

Where these mount in the dash, is there a bezel or sleeve they each fit into where they go through the hole or are they straight through and the nut tightens them up? Reason I ask is mine did not have an original switch or any lighter in the hole. Both of the holes look huge. I just didn’t know if there was something that took up the space. Also if anyone has a picture of a gt14 lighter assy with measurements, I would appreciate it. 

953 nut
8 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

is there a bezel or sleeve they each fit into where they go through the hole or are they straight through and the nut tightens them up?

The lighter on mine is long gone been replaced by a flasher/switch. but the hole looks right for a direct mounting. The ignition switch is also a direct mount.

• Thanks 1

p38js

This is the best picture I have right know with the lighter.  My assembly was corroded pretty bad so I bought a replacement lighter assembly from Pep Boys and swapped the original knob with the new one and it works as advertised.

81065DD0-39DA-4B73-A72D-AF3A462BFE95.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I believe that all lighter bodies are the same, I've used off the shelf lighters to replace the missing factory ones on some of my tractors. No extra bezel should be needed, unless some one has made the hole larger on yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

There are 3 basic sizes of cigarette lighters - WH used the main and most common large size. Nut is just a hollow sleeve with formed thread. Not sure who made them, I suspect maybe Cole-Hersee Co. as they made the HD starter-gen key switches. Whoever made them - their elements were some of the best made - I have old original ones in my tractors - they all work perfectly and quickly. Installed a nice beauty in the D, even...lol . So, yeah - I still smoke...

If you ever want one of the smallest size ones for whatever tractor - go hunting for older Chrysler luxury boats, almost all had them in the rear door ash trays. Napa used to sell very high quality elements under their Echlin brand, not sure if they are any good now days as it seems most of their electrical parts are going by way of China, like everyone else.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

There were two major suppliers of lighters back in the day. One was Casco and I think the other was Rochester with the names lightly stamped on the components. Had to get the correct replacement parts because they are not interchangeable.

The replacement element for the Casco has a female thread for the knob.

The other has a male stud on the element for the knob.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Well I got half my problem solved. I was digging in the old parts stash last night and came across stock wheel horse lighter assembly. Tried it and it fits. Now to figure out the ignition switch. Maybe its just me but the hole seems huge. They had a washer on it to keep the switch nut from pulling through. I have a larger cole hersee ignition switch I will have to try. If it fits, it gets used. I’ll know today. I got my light switches in yesterday so I can get my dash wired up. Coming together slowly. 

• Like 5

Sarge

Thanks @gwest_ca , I had forgotten about the whole male versus female stud thing on those elements. Dad used to know all the part numbers from NAPA for replacement elements, but he's gone and I'm fuzzy on this old stuff these days.

Almost all of the 60's ignition switches used a D shaped hole, external tooth washer and nut , some have been drilled round to accept aftermarket switches. If you have a Cole-Hersee L-key switch with the heavy lugs/screws that one is rated to handle the load of a starter-gen, but it's still a good idea to switch it over to using a heavy duty relay and get all that battery power out of the dash - they are a great fire starter..

Looking forward to the big 14 and some pics of it done...

Sarge

• Thanks 1

19richie66

:text-yeahthat: You and me both! I will know today if the ignition switch will fit the hole. It’s heavy duty. 

The lighter I have is a Casco dated ‘71. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by 19richie66

Sarge

That's great - I've never had a lighter that was marked yet - or my tired eyes just can't see it but I'm used to hunting for numbers on parts/bearings anyway. Original, nice condition lighters are getting like the hood ornaments - crazy expensive used.

Sarge

• Like 1

19richie66

Its on the socket part, not the twist on barrel.

A22AF5FF-B799-4E48-ACD2-BFDB9DD2A160.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2

Sarge

Yeah - I searched through google images and found that - none of the ones I've here were legible or showed the stamping, weird.

Part numbers like that really help - it's how I found a slew of NOS Cole-Hersee L-key switches years ago.

Sarge

• Like 1

19richie66

Well the cole hersee body is too big. A regular ignition switch will work but Ill have to make a bushing for the switch to sit in. Someone hogged out the hole. I appreciate all the help.

Edited by 19richie66

953 nut
27 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Ill have to make a bushing for the switch to sit in

Bet you can find one here.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#bushings/=1bhji3c