1973Auto

New Skins No Chains! Woo Hoo!

1973Auto

Got some new skins on the Fat Chic, (not much to look but she sure is fun) and plowed the entire driveway with no chains! Did not think that would happen . I guess with 300 lbs of weights I may not need them. But I probably will in the heavy wet stuff. Sure is easier on the back and arse without the bounce of the chains. They are Gladiators, from eBay $40 each.  

image.jpeg

• Like 8

SylvanLakeWH

I'm running no chains and no weights this year as an experiment. Tons of snow and no issues so far - Three drives each snow event and best part - smooth and no scrape marks on drives...

I'm thinking my chains and weights may be going on classifieds...:think:

• Like 2

Rob R

No Chains okay with snow but add some glare ice and I think you will find the chains and weights are the only answer..... especially if you have a pitched surface. My personal opinion is that with global warming we have more ice then ever rather then cold fluffy snow....

Wheel Horse C81 4.JPG

Wheel Horse C81 5.JPG

Wheel Horse C81 6.JPG

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 4

"Manic-Mechanic"

Same here, no chains, tall ag tires (32) and no issues on ice what so ever!

• Like 2

1973Auto

Still in the Beta stage on the chains or no chains. First test went well. 8 inches of the light stuff. Need to give it a go with about 6 inches of wet crap. Hope the fat chic can do it with no chains.👍👍👍👍:woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I tell ya, the 6-32's did wonders on the slush/ice today! Even uphill there was little slipping while plowing, both directions.

IMG_2348.JPG

• Like 4

Sarge

I was really tempted awhile back to get a set like for the D - I like the tall/skinny advantage for traction , but in the yard they would probably rut it pretty bad from the weight distribution difference over using the 12" wide tires.

Interested to see how the new skins perform, keep us up to date and only pics count, lol...

I'll stick to the weights/chains - mine has to get up on the trailer and go out to help others at times - never know what it's going to run into for conditions.

Sarge

• Thanks 2

DennisThornton

My C-85 with chains will far out traction my 522xi with real good turfs.  No comparison! My Power King was a beast with chains.  Not so much with just the ags. 

• Like 1

Tankman

Old school I guess, stayin' with wheel weights and chains. Sarge is right on!

Long gravel drives, today, all ice.  :-(

Perhaps the salt spreader might go out for a spin. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I find no troubles with the 18 auto and the high narrow ag. However, the smaller diameter 12's with turf's need chains and weights for sure, especially with the heavy snow blower on the Sears ST16.

Oldman

Edited by Oldman

Sarge

I run chains/weights on the rear of all of them - I hate getting stuck or spinning out on turf, which is worse than what little effect the chains have on grass. Got some ditch areas here to climb and mowing can get interesting, not to mention I use mine for a lot of blade/garden work as well. Ags all around as well , lol.

Let us know how it goes with the old Auto - curious to see what the white stuff brings when it's packed or icy.

Sarge

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I would like to see how the turfs do as well, they are a rugged looking tire.......

Oldman

Edited by Oldman

Sarge

Btw - that is the first I've heard of the Gladiator brand name - where are they made ??

Sarge

1973Auto

Sarge: Don't know where they are made, but they sell the Gladiator brand at Wally World so they are probably made in China. They are working good so far so cant really complain.

Sarge

Some of the off brands seem to have a fairly soft tread - while it won't wear very well with time, it does give more traction during cold weather. Carlisle ags always seemed to be one of the hardest compounds and wear like iron - but they do not like ice or packed snow, hence the use of chains. I'd like to modify all mine to make them more like the Euro pattern as the 2-link design loves to slip sideways , even on the slightest dip or grade. That modified H pattern of the Euro even rides a lot better - some tractors at work have used them and they nice and smooth on the pavement in comparison. My 2-link style will about vibrate your teeth out at the right speed on hard pavement , not to mention - scratch the snot out of it but I stay completely off drives that have seal coating on them.

Sarge