Big_Red_Fred

417-8

Big_Red_Fred

I have a Local Man selling a 417-8, it looks nice & complete, 42sd deck, he wanted 900.00 but would take a offer, he's having a hard time selling it at that price, give me some idea's Red Square where to start ?

WHEEL HORSE DAN

i would start about 700.00 that's a fair price for a 417-8

Tankman
1 hour ago, WHEEL HORSE DAN said:

:text-yeahthat:$700 is all I might pay. Show up with six bills, see where that gets you. 

ericj

@Big_Red_Fred, i have a 417-8 with electric lift option, this is my personal opinion I would take an onan anytime over a KT17, not sure if mine is running correctly or not but it just never seemed to run as good or have the power that a P216 onan has. My 417 was bought new by my dad so I will never sell it if I can help it. I didn't care for it right from the get go for some reason.. Maybe if I could get ti running better it might make me like it better. Right now it sits in the back of the shed to be a someday project. I know that this is going to draw some flack, but my opinion and a dollar bill will buy you a cup of coffee  :hide:

eric j

• Like 5

Big_Red_Fred

I will offer him 500, see what he say's, its been posted a year, keep yours on back burner

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
19 minutes ago, Tankman said:

:text-yeahthat:$700 is all I might pay. Show up with six bills, see where that gets you. 

1 hour ago, WHEEL HORSE DAN said:

That's approximately 1/3 of a D with FEL and all the appropriate goodies hhhmmm :think:....

• Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Fred , what year is the tractor  ? Is the 417 the tractor with engine problem between a series I and a Series 2 . The series 2 would be the better engine . As always the condition would be the biggest factor to consider.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
8 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Fred , what year is the tractor  ? Is the 417 the tractor with engine problem between a series I and a Series 2 . The series 2 would be the better engine . As always the condition would be the biggest factor to consider.

I will get a year from him & post the picture tonite

• Like 1

midpack

i think the series 1 Kohlers were long gone by the time this tractor was built.

I have a 417-8 with electric lift and I like it so much I went and found an electric lift setup to put on my C-175/Mag12 8 speed.

if the machine has a louvered hood, it's an electric lift. I think they only made these (417's) for 2 years, and only one year had the lift

oh... and BTW. i paid $350 for it with a nice 42" deck and an almost new plow...  :)  of course it wasn't running at the time. Kept blowing a fuse when you tried to start it. the guy had put new ignition switch and solenoid on it, but didn't tighten the solenoid!  :o couple turns of a wrench and WALLA!!

it's my favorite machine... for now... lol

• Like 3

paxz71usa

Ericj,

Where's the $1.00 a cup coffee in Red Lion, I might drive there for a cup some morning. Not much around for less than 2 bucks.:auto-swerve:

Gary

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ACman

:twocents-02cents:.... I’d wait until @Aldon figures out what he’s going to sell and put that hard earned money into something you know is going to be a good tractor.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

The Gman

I started out with a 312 and upgraded it to 417 from a parts tractor that was missing the trans. and wheels. The kt17 was a series 2 and completely in pieces. During the rebuild I was impressed with design of the oil galleries although I wasn't keen on the "oil sentry" switch and replaced it with an oil pressure gauge. Lots of power, quick to start......even in the Canadian cold. It has the electric lift on it now and would never go back.

Pricing wise I would expect one to fetch 1K up here.

Condition is key. A motor rebuild can add up. I know......... pistons, rings, conn rods, gaskets......... look over the engine running under load and how smooth it throttles up and down. And the dreadd blue smoke. If you have a compression tester I would bring it. Both my cyliners run at 125 psi. 7 to 900 is not chump change in my books.

:canada:

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

@elcamino/wheelhorse Does these pics help Jim on year ? I cant get him to pick up5a7a16588513f_9b2d174666734a81b81a773815bb87b5417.jpg.fbfc5a0aebc8d06cd56a6377f658702a.jpg6425613a05fc443c8066e50a551262bc.jpg.ca88ff1e49a7056679921a794aaa8106.jpga364c1f96db0469b9a894c487e873f36.jpg.3f007d0c13d496aee858cc4d6a9f1d94.jpg

10 hours ago, midpack said:

i think the series 1 Kohlers were long gone by the time this tractor was built.

I have a 417-8 with electric lift and I like it so much I went and found an electric lift setup to put on my C-175/Mag12 8 speed.

if the machine has a louvered hood, it's an electric lift. I think they only made these (417's) for 2 years, and only one year had the lift

oh... and BTW. i paid $350 for it with a nice 42" deck and an almost new plow...  :)  of course it wasn't running at the time. Kept blowing a fuse when you tried to start it. the guy had put new ignition switch and solenoid on it, but didn't tighten the solenoid!  :o couple turns of a wrench and WALLA!!

it's my favorite machine... for now... lol

Feast them eye balls on my pics & tell me the year

1 hour ago, The Gman said:

I started out with a 312 and upgraded it to 417 from a parts tractor that was missing the trans. and wheels. The kt17 was a series 2 and completely in pieces. During the rebuild I was impressed with design of the oil galleries although I wasn't keen on the "oil sentry" switch and replaced it with an oil pressure gauge. Lots of power, quick to start......even in the Canadian cold. It has the electric lift on it now and would never go back.

Pricing wise I would expect one to fetch 1K up here.

Condition is key. A motor rebuild can add up. I know......... pistons, rings, conn rods, gaskets......... look over the engine running under load and how smooth it throttles up and down. And the dreadd blue smoke. If you have a compression tester I would bring it. Both my cyliners run at 125 psi. 7 to 900 is not chump change in my books.

:canada:

I posted 3 pics, whats your opinion 

20 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

That's approximately 1/3 of a D with FEL and all the appropriate goodies hhhmmm :think:....

Jeff, stop listening to Iron Maiden & check them pics of mine out LOL

• Excellent 1

Skipper

600 would be my absolute limit on that, if it runs good. :-)

I have one just like it sitting here, and it is a tad more rough. That was 450 with a 48" deck.

I know location has a lot to do with it also, but 900...........No way!

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

@elcamino/wheelhorse Does these pics help Jim on year ? I cant get him to pick up5a7a16588513f_9b2d174666734a81b81a773815bb87b5417.jpg.fbfc5a0aebc8d06cd56a6377f658702a.jpg6425613a05fc443c8066e50a551262bc.jpg.ca88ff1e49a7056679921a794aaa8106.jpga364c1f96db0469b9a894c487e873f36.jpg.3f007d0c13d496aee858cc4d6a9f1d94.jpg

Feast them eye balls on my pics & tell me the year

I posted 3 pics, whats your opinion 

Jeff, stop listening to Iron Maiden & check them pics of mine out LOL

It's Metallica and for whom the bell tolls, I see yer pics, and I can't tell you what year it is just by looking at pics without a Model/Serial tag/plate...other than pre 1990 no "TORO" on the hood...

• Like 1

pfrederi

They only made 417 for two years 85/86 I really don't think the "year" has any relevance to the value.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Big_Red_Fred
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

They only made 417 for two years 85/86 I really don't think the "year" has any relevance to the value.

What about the engine

pfrederi

Spec #24350 or 24363  I suppose you could study the Kohler parts listing to see if there were any differences...i much doubt it.

Big_Red_Fred
24 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

It's Metallica and for whom the bell tolls, I see yer pics, and I can't tell you what year it is just by looking at pics without a Model/Serial tag/plate...other than pre 1990 no "TORO" on the hood...

Id show you a Hippy pic of ole BRF but theyd put us on Red Alert from 1970's LOL

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Big_Red_Fred I can't tell anything from the pictures does look clean , has hub caps. You got to listen to it run and check for leaks.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

The Gman

Very clean. Newish seat and hardly any rust rats if any. A couple of fender dings for good looks. It also has the up draft tube from the exhaust to the air cleaner for cold weather. Ya gotta know he would expect negotiation. That the fun part.

The higher you start you can't go down:text-bump:

$600 may get $800 backto you.

I would play at 700 max. But then like I said that would go for a gnote up here to get it for $900 maybe 850. Not as many around this neck of woods.

Ohh. I would still want to test out engine really (no of hours too) well and check for axel leaks and the condition of the shift boot. It all adds up for that money.

:auto-biker:

Big_Red_Fred

He sent me a email, it was his Fathers, he passed away 3 years ago, selling for his Mother, said it runs well & willing to deal, i will head up Wednesday if all this White stuff coming isnt to bad, i have to cross a large mountain to get there, i will take pics & serial number regardless if i buy or not but im Drooling for a Deal LOL, @elcamino/wheelhorse Jim , your gonna be my overflow station hahahaha

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

He sent me a email, it was his Fathers, he passed away 3 years ago, selling for his Mother, said it runs well & willing to deal, i will head up Wednesday if all this White stuff coming isnt to bad, i have to cross a large mountain to get there, i will take pics & serial number regardless if i buy or not but im Drooling for a Deal LOL, @elcamino/wheelhorse Jim , your gonna be my overflow station hahahaha

As long as you deliver , I 'll keep them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

123GO

Just curious to what happen here? Anyone buy this tractor and how much?