BOB ELLISON

LAWN RANGER SEAT

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  Looks so good...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

I can tell you're going to get lot's of requests for them. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The Gman

Now that's talent I must say :wow:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

you're going to get lot's of requests for them.

:text-yeahthat:         You could stay busy for a few years filling the needs of  all of us who own older :wh: with raggedy seats.     :text-coolphotos:

• Like 5

rjg854

Really fine work, looks wonderful :text-coolphotos:

I'm partial to the red and black myself. 

20170625_141837.jpg.7b61871bcce74a908358746dd691e504.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I like the red and black it shows better. Now we know you can handle new seat covers but do you wash windows?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

BOB ELLISON
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I like the red and black it shows better. Now we know you can handle new seat covers but do you wash windows?

Not right now. I've been on crutches for 4 weeks. Last year I attended the Big Show in PA and I had a bad left foot couldn't walk on it very well. So I've been half crippled for almost a year now. I went to 2 foot Dr's  and nothing they did helped. I'm now going to U of M hospital and giving it a 6 week rest. Much better and my wife bring me my coffee,dinner,supper to my lazyboy chair. And to think this will all end in 2 weeks. Darn

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

953 nut

Sorry to hear that Bob, know you weren't walking too well at the show but didn't know how serious it was,

17 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

my wife bring me my coffee,dinner,supper to my lazyboy chair. And to think this will all end in 2 weeks. Darn

You should be able to milk this for a while longer.    :ychain:

5a76577489bf8_Getwellredtractor.jpg.ee2e4c910e10acd904a5c6d4c2782978.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JPWH

Sorry to hear about this Bob. Maybe a couple extra weeks would be better :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Bob you need to have a small relapse , you need all your strength for the Big Show. 

• Haha 4

ACman

Bob just find me at the Big Show....You can’t miss me. I’m the guy wearing a T-shirt with my avatar on it and driving around a camouflage chair with tracks. I could hook you up with a ride but it may cost you :lol: !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sarge

Take care of that foot and find someone that truly knows what they are doing - it's one of the most complicated structures known to Man for sure and I've watched too many live with botched repairs. I feel for ya, with my knee injuries in '06 life has changed a lot - not for the better, either. Take your time healing up and enjoy the Juki - they are a great machine and I've always wanted one - good score.

Nice work on the seat. I've considered spending the coin to have someone machine a heat die to press the vinyl into that pattern, but it wouldn't be cheap nor easy to do. I agree, trying to duplicate that original pattern never looks correct with any method other than the original material and it's long gone. I've pestered manufacturers to make some, but it's well beyond my means to afford even their basic batch runs and two have stated they could easily duplicate it in marine grade vinyl - but the initial investment is just far too high. I really like that period look of the original and some more modern and comfortable padding would be soooo nice compared to how they ride when worn out and 40+yrs old. That original example you have is in rare shape for it's age, probably one of the best I've seen yet , nice.

The red instead of white is quite a startling difference - pretty cool in fact. Very nice stitch work too , btw...looks like you've figured out the Juki pretty well. I've beat my old 1955 Singer model 66 pretty hard doing canvas and heavier vinyl work as well as ballistic nylon - that's how I knocked it out of time last go-around . No substitute for a walking foot machine - would love to find a gently used Sailright or one of the older Juki commercial machines but I'm limited on space - brother in law has a huge commercial clutch machine for doing motorcycle leathers and it's bit him more than once with it's habit of coasting but it sails through whatever will fit under the foot. The thing takes up a space of 6x8 feet, so that's out for me. Is that model Juki just a straight stitch? Seems a bit on the small side on the throat , but should work for most jobs.

Sarge

BOB ELLISON

@Sarge it a JUKI dnu_241h it has a 5/8 lift and a servo motor that I got for my consew .I can make it sew so slow or run like lighting. That's what you got to have to sew tight curves. It will go through 1/2 inch leather. I got a great deal for this one. This one  sells  for $950.00 but I got half that in it.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Well I got my second one finished and it is much better than the first one. It's a lot tighter I had to make some adjustments on my masters. I think I'll try some with black seat instead of white and darker red sides and red back

Panels. Maybe some black piping.

I did put the old seat foam in just to see if I was close to the original size  and it looks like a good fit. I'll still replace with new foam before I put it on the lawn ranger. Last picture I'm  trying to see if white or brighter red works.20180204_162135.jpg.b20a718038099019a5cc5b4592886ff2.jpg

20180204_162504.jpg

20180204_164007.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

That's great - I hate trying to do piping but your's is spot on, nice.

I did put a different motor on the Singer - it's way too fast but I needed more torque to punch the heavier stuff. Max capacity is around 3/8" or so , depends on density of the material. Bad part of the old Model 66 machines is bobbins - unless you get correct period built ones they don't work correctly due to a dome shape in them, all the newer ones are flatter and they don't run smoothly. Have you tested a cover over the top of the metal frame yet?

Sarge

BOB ELLISON
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

That's great - I hate trying to do piping but your's is spot on, nice.

I did put a different motor on the Singer - it's way too fast but I needed more torque to punch the heavier stuff. Max capacity is around 3/8" or so , depends on density of the material. Bad part of the old Model 66 machines is bobbins - unless you get correct period built ones they don't work correctly due to a dome shape in them, all the newer ones are flatter and they don't run smoothly. Have you tested a cover over the top of the metal frame yet?

Sarge

Sarge I had to buy a set of piping feet for it. I did buy piping for the 1054 seat but that gets to expensive.  I thought of buying a Singer 66 from a guy here in town but held out for a walking foor. I did the 1054 seat with my consew industrial cn2230. It had  no problem with heavy vinyl but not a high enough lift. I was maxed out with piping and 3 layers of fabric. And the bobbins in my Juki are the oversized ones. I love the servo motor it has all the tourque I need at slow speed. 350 -3000 stitches per minute. 

I'm thinking of making another 1054 seat to perfect that one also. It's all about making a good set of masters to cut the fabric the correct size for sewing. I didn't think of a cover for the frame . My old cover had corner pieces sewn in for protecting cover from frame. But a cover  would make it slippery I think. My lawn ranger did have a white cover on the seat and that's why it looked somewhat better then most.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

There really is no substitute for a walking foot machine for this type of work, it's just the cost of them is prohibitive for most folks. The old model 66 is a rugged and very heavy cast machine - they weigh almost 50lbs with the motor. The new servo types are so cool in how they can put out the torque at such low stitch speeds - sort of like a well-tuned Kohler engine, lol. It's so tough to find good examples to make patterns off any old object with a vinyl cover - the stuff became so brittle and shrunken over time. If it spent much time in the sun it was never really protected from UV rays. I was always surprised by the cost of piping - they treat that stuff like gold for whatever reason - ouch. If you can get those patterns perfected I'm sure you could easily start selling covers - anyone that has done them in the past doesn't seem to stay in it for long, probably due to the cost of investment and so much labor time for the return, not a lot of profit in it when you try to stay at a reasonable price point. Folks that have paid an upholstery shop to make a new cover have had some sticker shock, but if you add up their time it makes sense, this stuff is not as easy as it looks. From your pics , you've got the right eye for keeping the lines straight and true - you would have no issues selling these - is that the plan or just for personal machines ?

Sarge

• Like 1

ACman

I’m sure you’ve done your homework trying to find upholstery but just in case I came across this place http://www.1800boattops.com/marinevinyl  . The black 1” spaced pressed pleated vinyl looks like a good match to my all black original 1057 seat material  . They say they offer white too but what it looks like :confusion-shrug: ? 

As sarge puts it these seat covers look to be a labor of love to make . If you do decide to make a few to sell I’d definitely interested in a few . Would it help you out anyway if a person could supply you with the materials (with your pre-approval of course) and extra so your basically just out labor ? As far as foam have you considered stacking carpet foam as @Achto has done . You probably could come up with some free stuff if you could hookup with a carpet installer doing new subdivisions (it’s crazy what goes into the dumpsters at these job sites) . I’m just thinking out loud here :confusion-scratchheadyellow: .

• Like 2

Sarge

Hmmm - you might have something here. The originals were 1" apart, 1/8" wide embossings - that looks really close although the padded pleats would make it look pretty different. I wonder, might want to contact them and see if they can offer it with no padding on the back, just the flat material ? I'd imagine the pleating pad is bonded to the vinyl - it would be nearly impossible to remove and probably affect spacing as well.

one_inch_pleats.JPG

PICT0772.JPG

I'm dead certain in years past I remember that pattern being used on other things such as cars/trucks in the auto world and my local upholstery guy remembered it immediately when I showed him an original cover from a 1277. But, as we all know too well - it's long gone and he said he's searched for it in his suppliers, no luck and he's never been able to duplicate it .

Hope you don't mind - I did fill out a contact form at 800boattops and included links to your pic of the original, we'll see what they say...? Not sure if they'll call or email me...

Sarge

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
7 hours ago, Sarge said:

There really is no substitute for a walking foot machine for this type of work, it's just the cost of them is prohibitive for most folks. The old model 66 is a rugged and very heavy cast machine - they weigh almost 50lbs with the motor. The new servo types are so cool in how they can put out the torque at such low stitch speeds - sort of like a well-tuned Kohler engine, lol. It's so tough to find good examples to make patterns off any old object with a vinyl cover - the stuff became so brittle and shrunken over time. If it spent much time in the sun it was never really protected from UV rays. I was always surprised by the cost of piping - they treat that stuff like gold for whatever reason - ouch. If you can get those patterns perfected I'm sure you could easily start selling covers - anyone that has done them in the past doesn't seem to stay in it for long, probably due to the cost of investment and so much labor time for the return, not a lot of profit in it when you try to stay at a reasonable price point. Folks that have paid an upholstery shop to make a new cover have had some sticker shock, but if you add up their time it makes sense, this stuff is not as easy as it looks. From your pics , you've got the right eye for keeping the lines straight and true - you would have no issues selling these - is that the plan or just for personal machines ?

Sarge

Sarge

I did make the 1054 seat with my Consew  and it wasn't a walking foot sewing machine and that's why I got the walking foot Juki. I had a hard time sewing the 1054 seat. But a piping foot is a must. I like to sew especially heavy fabric. All I'm doing now is experimental  seats. I'm on my 3rd seat now with different color combination black seat with dark red sides.I don't like the white on the first seat because it's to white. I've been searching the Web for better whites with the 1in heated pleat not sewed in like I'm doing now.

If I get good at this I may sell some. But I'll have some with foam installed and some without foam it will be up to the buyer to make there own foam padding.

That way I can sell them cheaper. I've already ordered $80.00 just for fabric.

I get mine from sailrite marine uv grade and uv poly v92 thread so they should last longer then the cheap stuff.

And yes it is time consuming cutting and sewing each one. 

BOB ELLISON
7 hours ago, ACman said:

I’m sure you’ve done your homework trying to find upholstery but just in case I came across this place http://www.1800boattops.com/marinevinyl  . The black 1” spaced pressed pleated vinyl looks like a good match to my all black original 1057 seat material  . They say they offer white too but what it looks like :confusion-shrug: ? 

As sarge puts it these seat covers look to be a labor of love to make . If you do decide to make a few to sell I’d definitely interested in a few . Would it help you out anyway if a person could supply you with the materials (with your pre-approval of course) and extra so your basically just out labor ? As far as foam have you considered stacking carpet foam as @Achto has done . You probably could come up with some free stuff if you could hookup with a carpet installer doing new subdivisions (it’s crazy what goes into the dumpsters at these job sites) . I’m just thinking out loud here :confusion-scratchheadyellow: .

ACman I've  already been to that same Web site. And I'll email them to see if they carry 1in heated pleats. But I must have marine grade uv ,sun resistance fabric. I'm not going cheap stuff for seats.

As of now all my material I order is  from Sailrite because of there Quility even thought it's  a little more expensive. But they only have 1 1/2in  pleated white. So I'm looking over the Web for 1in black and off white marine grade. I'll keep posting as I make progress. 

• Like 2

Sarge

I had found some makers that have embossed patterned marine grade vinyl - but none sell small cuts and want you to buy full rolls that are around 300' long and weigh as much as a Horse. Some will even do the pattern you want or duplicate an old pattern that is NLA - it's just a cost thing. If I ever hit the lottery the material would be available, as many other things as well - I love these old machines that much. I think the original color was not quite a dead white - maybe an antique or maybe even a linen color like the wheels. I have some of the old original brochures for some of these tractors and the one from '67 for those models shows a fairly white seat - but I agree that bright white is too much and finding something a bit softer would probably help make it look correct. Btw - I'm not knocking the heated pleat material - it's pretty cool and honestly it's probably as close as we'll ever get. Perhaps with a more stout padding density under it that may remove some of the pucker from the stuff and make it look more like the original - maybe ?

One thing I haven't seen of that material type is how the back side is made....??? i believe heat pleating is made with various layers or something ?

I have the same issue with the old Singer - the model 66 will easily punch well over 1/2" of whatever is under the foot if the needle can stand it . But, not being a walking foot you start having too many issues with the material in the feeder feet, bunching it up or constantly changing the tension on it trying to compensate. I almost spent the coin on a newer but used Sailright machine - it went out of sight on the auction site and I got out before things got stupid - almost went for the price of a new and better improved model, wow. Buying all the material and required heavy gauge upholstery thread gets expensive really fast - I've got a lot invested just in the canvas and ballistic nylon work I've done for myself but it passes the time in the winter when it's too cold to work outside or when I'm in the off season with work. My other favorite machine is a 60's Singer Rocketeer 500A slant-needle machine. That thing is so smooth but it's only built for maybe 5 layers of jean material due to the needle design on it - but it is a very nice machine to work with. For their age, both Singers almost look new - almost feels wrong to put them to work.

You're doing an amazing job - look forward to what you get with more practice, you're way ahead of me in getting them right, lol.

Sarge

• Like 2

ACman
19 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

ACman I've  already been to that same Web site. And I'll email them to see if they carry 1in heated pleats. But I must have marine grade uv ,sun resistance fabric. I'm not going cheap stuff for seats.

As of now all my material I order is  from Sailrite because of there Quility even thought it's  a little more expensive. But they only have 1 1/2in  pleated white. So I'm looking over the Web for 1in black and off white marine grade. I'll keep posting as I make progress. 

I hope they get back with you as it is listed under marinevinyl and isn’t Corvette a brand of boat too ? Do keep us posted on your progress as your work is not going unnoticed :handgestures-thumbupright: !

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Well @ACmanand @Sarge I did get an answer from one vinder and this is there reply. 

Hello, i have 1 inch in black and white, and i have 1 1/2 inch in off white. Black and white 1 inch will cost $30.00 per yard it is 32oz vinyl heat sealed double backed rolling pleat with a Dacron filling. Extremely durable and versatile marine/automotive grade vinyl. If you have any other questions let me know, we ship out same day!

-Bristol Upholstery

I have another vinder that has  a off white pleated but it's 1.5inch pleat.

So finding the correct material is a problem. I'll keep looking but it's not easy finding correct fabric or color and style. 

Sample.jpg

• Like 2

Sarge

Yep - same road I've been down several times , close but not close enough really. I had never searched nor sought out the heat pleated or backed material, just straight vinyl with embossings and pretty came up empty handed. It could be done but just cost prohibitive. For that price and material - that's not a bad deal considering how it's made. I often wonder why off white isn't more common, but who knows...?

Sarge

• Like 2