Joshn569

Raider 12 trans issue

Joshn569

Hello,

So i just picked up a raider 12 6speed with a Kohler 12. I havnt tried to start it yet, but it does turn over. Guy said it ran last summer. However, it does not roll when pushed. It seems like its stuck in gear. The shifter will shift into all gears, and hi/lo moves too. When i jack the rear end up it will spin ok but wheels turn opposite way. The clutch (clutch/brake?) doesnt make any difference.  Any advice on what to check out first? I havnt really checked it out to much yet, not even sure of the year. 

20180201_145135.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:            Likely there is some water in the transmission and it has frozen. get it inside and let ti thaw.   :text-coolphotos:

Once it thaws out drain the old fluid and put in a half gallon of diesel fuel to cleans the transmission then replace it with 90 gear oil. Check the rubber boot on your shifter, probably needs a new one.

This manual will come in handy.

• Like 5

953 nut

It appears the engine has been replaced with a slightly older model so the wiring diagram from a 1267 would serve you better.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:WRS:

Definitely the wrong motor and the wiring will be different if you have issues ther. If you can give us a pic of the name plate on the motor we can nail it down further. What could be better than a Raider with a starter/generator motor! :greetings-clappingyellow: 

• Like 2

Joshn569

I man handled it into the basement ( luckily the wife is at work tonight ) and 10 min later it started rolling! 

Since its warm and there is light down there im gonna go over the old girl and check it out. 

Here is the engine tag

And thanks too

20180201_145944.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

The B serial # dates the engine at 1966.   Can you get the tractor plate numbers?

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Joshn569

20180201_190405.jpg

Ed Kennell

M/N 1-6231  is a 1968 model.  And that is the engine listed for the 1968 Raider

It appears 1968 was the last Raider with the starter/generator.   No Raiders listed in 1969 and in 1970 Kohler K301-47371C and 47147C and Tecy HH120s were used.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

KC9KAS

@Joshn569 :WRS:

47 minutes ago, Joshn569 said:

I man handled it into the basement ( luckily the wife is at work tonight ) and 10 min later it started rolling! 

Still would be a good idea to flush the transmission with kerosene or diesel fuel. It may need multiple flushes to get all the water/oil out of the housing.

• Like 3

Joshn569
8 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

@Joshn569 :WRS:

Still would be a good idea to flush the transmission with kerosene or diesel fuel. It may need multiple flushes to get all the water/oil out of the housing.

Yes I for sure will. Thanks for the help. Ill keep you guys updated😁  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Each time you drain the tramsaxle be sure to jack up the front end so it will drain completely, there is a little hump in the trans that will hold some of the old oil if you don't.

1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

1-6231  is a 1968 model.  And that is the engine listed for the 1968 Raider

It appears 1968 was the last Raider with the starter/generator.

:confusion-confused:         The manual for this model shows it as having a ring gear and starter. Wonder if this was an early '68 that was using up the supply of S/G engines they had on hand?    :unsure:

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 2

WHX??

Yup my thoughts too Richard ...if thats the case this (might?) be  a very special tractor. I was always under the impression all the S/G motors were used up in late 67 but who knows I was only 8 in '67!! I'm in conflict with Ed that '68s had any kind of of a S/G motor but i guess that would not be impossible?  I think we need to get our files mod Garry in this @gwest_ca as he tracks the numbers closely and is trying to track serial nos. and when things changed.  :text-imsorry: if we are confusing you abit her Joshn but still do take all of the well above advise ad let us know with any issues. We are always learning about these tractors as much as you are! 

Opps Garry has spoken.....

He mentions early production... excuse me while I go study! :)

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

gwest_ca

Yes there was a mid-model year engine change but the tractor model numbers stayed the same.

Had this happened a few years later with the increased volume and models produced the tractor model number would likely have changed with the engine.

Garry

• Excellent 1

520HC

That is the factory engine. Have one just like it.

520HC

Also the 1968 Charger models had some with starter gen engines. Have one of them too. Here is the Raider

DSC00021.jpg

Edited by 520HC
  • Like 2